News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Lift Blog

Doppelmayr and CWA are at the InnoTrans public transit conference this week. I noticed the cabin they are showing off is the size of the Skyliner ones. It is being marketed as a 15 passenger cabin though the seating is probably only for 10. This may be how Disney gets to the rumored 5,000 per hour number. One detail podcast guy may have gotten right.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn3Z_Y-HRqP/

azox

Doppelmayr and CWA are at the InnoTrans public transit conference this week. I noticed the cabin they are showing off is the size of the Skyliner ones. It is being marketed as a 15 passenger cabin though the seating is probably only for 10. This may be how Disney gets to the rumored 5,000 per hour number. One detail podcast guy may have gotten right.

I wonder just how claustrophobic it will be in one of these with 15 people. It's good to see the photo though to give an idea of how large the cabin is.

OG Runner

I wonder just how claustrophobic it will be in one of these with 15 people. It's good to see the photo though to give an idea of how large the cabin is.

I agree. When there was a picture of one of the "cars" at one of the stations, a little while back, it did not look to be anywhere near
large enough to hold 8 people, never mind 15. If these are the cars Disney will use, I feel much better also.

Grimley1968

The "blend-in beige" paint scheme (cousin to "go-away green") makes me think it's permanent. Jobsite or rental power is usually white or another visible colour in my experience.

The pad, in addition to the color, makes me think it's permanent. I just can't imagine a temporary installation on such a precisely formed pad.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

The IV-15 can hold 15 people because it doesn't taper more narrowly at the bottom, but is more of a square design. Thus, it can seat 10 and have 5 standing. http://newsroom.doppelmayr.com/en/doppelmayr/news/new-cabin-model-in-slovakia/

The IV-10 that WDW appears to be getting (and verified by the tapering from all the pictures we've seen) can't do that. Not only that, we have insiders verifying that WDW will only fill our gondolas with 8 people. A launch every 10 seconds is 2,880 pph. Every 8 seconds is 3,600 pph.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Wait a sec. The rumored 5,000 pph is from you, no?

I kept calculating a lower number but you kept saying how other systems around the world have a much higher throughput, right?

TiggerDad

Those rails at the turn station are pretty random. Especially since they just seem to dead end right at the pole.

They could potentially have storage/facilities under this station, but with all the storage at the hub I don't see why they would. They could go right back on where they came off, or some how make their way around to the other size.
Is this maybe intended for temporary storage if (for example) the doors don't close properly? Instead of repeatedly circulating an empty cabin, they pull it off the line onto this spur until the end of the day when it can be routed to maintenance?

TiggerDad

Wait a sec. The rumored 5,000 pph is from you, no?

I kept calculating a lower number but you kept saying how other systems around the world have a much higher throughput, right?
From reviewing search results, I think what happened originally is someone made a derogatory comment on the capacity of gondolas, and the question came up as to the max capacity. @Lift Blog indicated the current max was 4-5,000, and people ran with that, assuming Disney would want the max possible.

I think that is the capacity for a single line in a single direction, which is what would matter at park close, but the entire system could theoretically haul six times that. In practice, I expect one family per cabin, other than single riders, except for peak times. Actual throughput will be far less than 5,000.

Lensman

Doppelmayr itself publishes "Transport capacities of up to 4,500 passengers per hour and direction".

I remember @Lift Blog saying earlier in the thread that Disney and Doppelmayr were looking into getting an even higher figure.

Running 8 per cabin instead of 10 would give you 3,600 passengers per hour and direction, though I can't but think that Disney will let extended families of 10 ride together. Maybe the 8 just indicates the seat divisions?

NormC

Doppelmayr itself publishes "Transport capacities of up to 4,500 passengers per hour and direction".

I remember @Lift Blog saying earlier in the thread that Disney and Doppelmayr were looking into getting an even higher figure.

Running 8 per cabin instead of 10 would give you 3,600 passengers per hour and direction, though I can't but think that Disney will let extended families of 10 ride together. Maybe the 8 just indicates the seat divisions?
The Omega IV-10 has 10 seat "divisions" or space as shown in the above video.

Bender123

Just for reference...that means that single direction, it could likely transport the entirety of the CBR guests to one destination within two hours...We all know that this load of people isn't likely, at all. As for the end of the day crowds, I could see the longest waits being around 30 minutes, which actually is quite an improvement over the busses that are currently in place.

The true improvement will be when you want to go back to the hotel at 2:00PM and can hop right on without a 30 minute wait for a bus.

imarc

He also stated that this is "only the start" of the system and will eventually include AK and Disney Springs.

I finally listened to this podcast this morning and the expansion idea really makes sense in context that he stated it since it allows them to create the Skyliner in a modular way. If it's successful, they can build another module.

Has anyone mapped out yet the 2nd or 3rd phase that he described?

raymusiccity

Hey, we all have our Boxcar Berthas.

Magic Bands, will require new weight parameters for all guests. Appropriate shirts will be sent and worn accordingly!

front.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom