News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Way off topic, but the problem with trees is they continue to grow. Just like the hedges in front of my house which looked great 10 years ago, they are a little too big now. I trim them but even with regular trimming you can’t get them back to the size they were. I agree on the crowd size argument, but I think another part of the reason the trees in MK weren’t as much of a problem when the park first opened is they were much smaller. Maybe the answer was to rip out the trees every five years and plant new smaller trees again, but they went another direction which is fine. I have no justification for why there’s a lack of seating. It’s just cruel.

For those who like a more forest like setting in their theme parks the new berms around SW Land look pretty good. I don’t think they are going to let us go up under the trees a whole lot, but they are there. The gondolas will also go through a wooded area.

peter11435

Funny how the trees in the hub weren’t really a problem for most of MKs life. Did they suddenly turn bad and move in front of the castle? I hate it when that happens.

Seriously though they could’ve done a better job. They could’ve removed and planted smaller trees (not the sticks they have in there now). Retained the nice water ways. It’s a shame they chose to basically level everything and give use something closer to a concrete lot than the nice space we had before. At least Disneyland’s hub still retains it’s atmosphere and benches, for now. Who knows when they decide to “enhance” that for optimal fireworks viewing.

Most of the waterways are still there.

Goofyernmost

Funny how the trees in the hub weren’t really a problem for most of MKs life. Did they suddenly turn bad and move in front of the castle? I hate it when that happens.

Seriously though they could’ve done a better job. They could’ve removed and planted smaller trees (not the sticks they have in there now). Retained the nice water ways (near Main Street). They had a lot of options and it’s a shame they chose to basically level everything and give use something closer to a concrete lot than the nice green space we had before. At least Disneyland’s hub still retains it’s atmosphere and benches, for now. Who knows when they’ll decide to “enhance” that for optimal fireworks viewing.
It was a little thing like castle projections that changed all that. You may not consider that interesting and entertaining, but, many do and it is a very impressive show. I would sooner watch the projections and the creative design of them then all the fireworks shows in the world. And the key thing is that I want to be able to see them not blocked by trees. I have trees at home, but, I have yet to locate my local castle complete with projections. So that is partially what I pay admission price to see.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
It was a little thing like castle projections that changed all that. You may not consider that interesting and entertaining, but, many do and it is a very impressive show. I would sooner watch the projections and the creative design of them then all the fireworks shows in the world. And the key thing is that I want to be able to see them not blocked by trees. I have trees at home, but, I have yet to locate my local castle complete with projections. So that is partially what I pay admission price to see.

Yeah, try not to assume so much. I enjoy projection shows as much is anybody else when they’re done right. I also enjoy shade and a place to sit after hours of walking. Too bad we can’t seem to have both in the MK.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to the gondolas.

Last edited:

Disone

Seriously though they could’ve done a better job. They could’ve removed and planted smaller trees (not the sticks they have in there now). Retained the nice water ways (near Main Street). They had a lot of options and it’s a shame they chose to basically level everything and give use something closer to a concrete lot than the nice green space we had before. At least Disneyland’s hub still retains it’s atmosphere and benches, for now. Who knows when they’ll decide to “enhance” that for optimal fireworks viewing.
Another factor, is that for the first 25 years of the Magic Kingdom's lifetime, fireworks were not a nightly event. They were during the summer but all other Seasons they were limited to pretty much Weekends Only and sometimes not even that. They were also much shorter, much less elaborate, and only featured aerial fireworks. Nothing launching off the castle nothing flanking it from its sides. As the firework shows evolved and became more Castle Centric the eyes needed to drop down to Castle level not just the skies above castle level. The trees had grown substantially in the lifetime of the Magic Kingdom. These two things collided and the demand to see the fireworks clashed with the growth of the trees. The shows are now much longer, much more elaborate, and even before Happily Ever After, fireworks started launching off of the castle and from its immediate left and right. It changed the dynamic of viewing the fireworks show.

Also to say there are no trees in the hub is a exaggeration. There are trees in the hub. They're just not in the middle of the Hub but the Hub has trees, so if you really want to sit under a tree in the shade at the Hub of the park, honestly you really still can. In the evening they even have twinkle lights in them.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah, try not to assume so much. I enjoy projection shows as much is anybody else when they’re done right. I also enjoy shade and a place to sit after hours of walking. Too bad we can’t seem to have both in the MK.

Hub from the 90s:
4EB6E236-253D-4BD8-BEE7-D9126D7D4325.jpeg

That just doesn’t work with a projection show. Maybe they could have projected on the trees directly.

I’m not personally attached to the castle projection show. I think it’s cool, but it doesn’t move the needle for me as a reason to go to a park. I see why people like it and want an area to stand to see it properly.

As far as fireworks I still think the best plan would have been to have the fireworks over 7 seas Lagoon. There’s plenty of dead space to create standing and/or sitting areas near MK. This way people are already outside of the park and halfway to the bus stops or monorail. You eliminate the bottleneck on Main Street and people who just want to ride rides or shop/eat can actually move around. I don’t know how the logistics of “fallout” would work but it’s a big lake and they could probably figure it out so nobody gets hit.

The gondolas still look cool too.

Goofyernmost

Who said you can't have both, just not in the same place. It really isn't that hard to understand. If there aren't enough other places then lobby for more stop and rest places, but, when something good is happening in one area, that isn't a good reason to put it down. I will repeat, you can have both, just not in the same place.

Disone

So my question is if I’m staying at AoA and I want to go to Epcot, do I have to get off at each station and wait? I’ve wondered this for ages.
The information you seek is in this thread, however you can be forgiven for not wanting to go through the hundreds of pages.
You will transfer gondolas at the Caribbean Beach main station. After that you will either go to DHS or Epcot WS without any additional transfers.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So my question is if I’m staying at AoA and I want to go to Epcot, do I have to get off at each station and wait? I’ve wondered this for ages.
The information you seek is in this thread, however you can be forgiven for not wanting to go through the hundreds of pages.
You will transfer gondolas at the Caribbean Beach main station. After that you will either go to DHS or Epcot WS without any additional transfers.
On the EPCOT line from CBR there will be a station at the new Riviera but you won’t have to get out there. There will also be a turn “thingy” near Boardwalk but you also won’t get out there. If you are at AoA there’s 1 transfer to get to either park. From CBR there’s no need to transfer.

Skibum1970

There will also be a turn “thingy”

Wow, I didn't know that the construction industry borrowed my typical terminology. Although, I use these terms to describe anything from a part of a car's engine to computers to electrical components.

Side note. I still prefer the view of the castle that you posted just above. I liked the trees in the center as they added to the feel of the hub. However, the new shows are entertaining and so I can't have it both ways.

fngoofy

Well part of the problem was that the trees were 30+ years old and had made it so that you couldn't see the fireworks from a large section of the hub, let alone the castle projection show, the new stage shows, and the castle lights at xmas.

So not only were they bad show, but they were contributing to safety issues with crowd movement.

Now don't get me wrong, I miss them as well, but I get it. You've got a 189ft. castle so you want to show it off and do shows and what not.
What I really don't like is how they have continued to do the firefly lights in other trees on Main St., but there are too many of them and they flash like xmas lights rather than fireflies.

fngoofy

Well part of the problem was that the trees were 30+ years old and had made it so that you couldn't see the fireworks from a large section of the hub, let alone the castle projection show, the new stage shows, and the castle lights at xmas.

So not only were they bad show, but they were contributing to safety issues with crowd movement.

Now don't get me wrong, I miss them as well, but I get it. You've got a 189ft. castle so you want to show it off and do shows and what not.
What I really don't like is how they have continued to do the firefly lights in other trees on Main St., but there are too many of them and they flash like xmas lights rather than fireflies.
In fact, I just looked up from my computer and we have a picture of the castle taken from within the hub. The trees are actually taller than the castle from that vantage point. Also, they make the castle look small. That was always my beef with the palm trees at SSE up until the most recent refurb. They would have this variety of palm like the ones on Hollywood Blvd that grew really tall, but they made SSE look small. Now that I mention it, they should also replace the ones on Hollywood Blvd. with the smaller variety.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

The same thing happened with the trees in DLs hub. They were originally chosen to compliment the scale of Sleeping Beauty’s castle but eventually they grew bigger and the scale was thrown off. What did Disney do?

They replaced the trees with correct sized ones. You can see the fireworks and projections on DLs charming 50ft castle too. Go figure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom