News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Surferboy567

Well, they're ONLY doing all this testing on one of the three lines. Sounds like they'll move on to testing the other lines one at a time (guessing Pop/Aoa to CBR will be next) and while they are testing the other lines we won't see much if any movement on the DHS line.

If they stop testing on the DHS line...doesn't that mean (besides the station architecture) that at least the DHS line is operational...basically?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Any good shakedown includes testing the range of operations.. including those outside your predicted targets. To validate the safety specs and/or test your theories to evaluate your predictions and choices. Interesting to watch.

winstongator

I time the interval at about 9.8 seconds. Approximately 3,670 passengers per hour at that speed. Looks like about 5 m/s. Hopefully she can go even faster. D-Line stated max is 7 but that may only be possible on lifts with bigger spacing or faster terminals (i.e. chairlifts)
Awesome. Buses carry maybe 40 people per, come every 20 minutes, so hourly capacity of 120. 30x is a nice round increase factor.

joelkfla

I timed the interval at about 9.8 seconds. Approximately 3,670 passengers per hour at that speed. Looks like about 5 m/s. Hopefully she can go even faster. D-Line stated max is 7 but that may only be possible on lifts with bigger spacing or faster terminals (i.e. chairlifts)
(I'm sure you know this) 2 of the newest lines on Mi Teleferico run at 6 m/s. But Martin has said Skyliner will run at 11 mph, which is 5 m/s.

Lift Blog

guess it's interesting to see gondola's on the second loop for the first time in these videos as I recall.
Can you tell the interval of how many cabins pass the regular loop before one goes on the back loop?

(I'm sure you know this) 2 of the newest lines on Mi Teleferico run at 6 m/s. But Martin has said Skyliner will run at 11 mph, which is 5 m/s.
The capacity on those two lines is 4,000 per hour.

WDWtraveler

1. Count the number of gondolas that leave a station in one minute.

Photo update as of Thursday, February 28, 2019. Looks like I took these photos at the same time as the live streaming from Disney Hollywood Studios. At normal operating speed, gondolas left the station every 10 seconds, which also means one was arriving at the station every 10 seconds.....but you already knew that.

Large landscaping items in place at the 90 degree turn near the Boardwalk Resort.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Photo update as of Thursday, February 28, 2019. Looks like I took these photos at the same time as the live streaming from Disney Hollywood Studios. At normal operating speed, gondolas left the station every 10 seconds, which also means one was arriving at the station every 10 seconds.....but you already knew that.

View attachment 353296

View attachment 353297

Large landscaping items in place at the 90 degree turn near the Boardwalk Resort.

View attachment 353298

Still wondering why they put those two spur rails on the turn station.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

That's almost exactly what @Lift Blog got from looking at today's video. Thanks!

That's 3,600 PPH at 10 per gondola packing. Or, 2,880 at 8 per gondola.

bUU

I'm sure there are different parts of the shake-down. They will clearly have to test all three lines equally for mechanical considerations. However, it is also likely that they're using the testing of the first of the lines to define and refine operational procedures. While that will definitely be reviewed continuously even after the gondolas are open to the public, it's likely that a lot of time is being spent on that during the testing of the first of the lines.

IMDREW

Wow! Thats a lot of gondolas in the air at once! Imagine being evacuated and being the last gondola they get to. Should be a good few hours dangling there. Looks awesome though. Can't wait for all the colours.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom