News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

ABQ

Doppelmayr has built a total of four automated train systems in the US. Hogwarts Express, Mandalay Bay, MGM CityCenter and Oakland Airport BART. They make gondolas look dirt cheap. They were going to build a third system in Las Vegas but were outbid by the Boring Company.
Curious, and I know, off topic a bit, but where is that 3rd system in Vegas going to be built by Boring?

Goofyernmost

Curious, and I know, off topic a bit, but where is that 3rd system in Vegas going to be built by Boring?
They can't make the decision as to location. They call a meeting and everyone shows up and almost instantly that Boring Company puts them all to sleep. They can't get anything done.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Doppelmayr has built a total of four automated train systems in the US. Hogwarts Express, Mandalay Bay, MGM CityCenter and Oakland Airport BART. They make gondolas look dirt cheap. They were going to build a third system in Las Vegas but were outbid by the Boring Company.

And does this boring company have a name?

ToTBellHop

Has anyone discussed "In case of rapture.." in this thread?
The “blip” causing Q3 numbers to fall was already discussed in today’s earnings call.

SLUSHIE

It's literally just a tunnel with cars in it, its not all that outlandish of an idea. I imagine it will be Tesla cars with slightly modified interior because it wont need a typical dashboard with a steering wheel. Maintenance of this system should also be incredibly cheap, as it should share like 99% of parts with their standard cars, and the tunnel itself would need very minimal maintenance. At first glance its a strange and weird idea but its also really simple.

joelkfla

It's literally just a tunnel with cars in it, its not all that outlandish of an idea. I imagine it will be Tesla cars with slightly modified interior because it wont need a typical dashboard with a steering wheel. Maintenance of this system should also be incredibly cheap, as it should share like 99% of parts with their standard cars, and the tunnel itself would need very minimal maintenance. At first glance its a strange and weird idea but its also really simple.

You're right, but I guess I just have a hard time wrapping my mind around autonomous cars running thru a tunnel at speeds over 100 mph. Is the technology really there yet? It's so sci-fi!

note2001

I understand the tech, I even understand Elon... what I don't understand is why he's going to all the bother of boring when he could just as easilly assemble a giant above ground tube, coat the interior with KY Jelly pop in a car shaped like a .... bullet and blow a hurricane force breeze in behind it to parachute the vehicle to the other end, lined in pillows of course. Seems more his style anyway.

Hey, the Monorail is perfect for a test...

Creathir

You're right, but I guess I just have a hard time wrapping my mind around autonomous cars running thru a tunnel at speeds over 100 mph. Is the technology really there yet? It's so sci-fi!
It IS there, and actually this is much simpler than the problems they are trying to solve regarding full self dricing capabilities.

There is no cross traffic in a tunnel. The route is predetermined.

This will be a successful implementation almost guaranteed.

starri42

It IS there, and actually this is much simpler than the problems they are trying to solve regarding full self dricing capabilities.
Unless this has a different model from what they keep saying will revolutionize cities, the cars are supposed to travel on some kind of a sled that gets yanked around the tunnel. No self-driving involved.

ABQ

Unless this has a different model from what they keep saying will revolutionize cities, the cars are supposed to travel on some kind of a sled that gets yanked around the tunnel. No self-driving involved.
Ah yes, like Logan's Run, only faster and with people more than 21 year's old.

joelkfla

I saw that described on some of the earlier projects on the website, but for the Vegas project, they say the Teslas are the AEV's. I think the Vegas project is envisioned as solely public transit, whereas the earlier proposals included a mix of dedicated and private vehicles.

starri42

I saw that described on some of the earlier projects on the website, but for the Vegas project, they say the Teslas are the AEV's. I think the Vegas project is envisioned as solely public transit, whereas the earlier proposals included a mix of dedicated and private vehicles.
Now that you mention it, I think I half-remember reading something about the vehicles they're using being modified with extra wheels on the chassis to help keep them oriented.

I know Musk wants to trumpet this as some kind of revolution, but it...isn't.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I understand the tech, I even understand Elon... what I don't understand is why he's going to all the bother of boring when he could just as easily assemble a giant above ground tube, coat the interior with KY Jelly pop in a car shaped like a .... bullet and blow a hurricane force breeze in behind it to parachute the vehicle to the other end, lined in pillows of course. Seems more his style anyway.
Yeah. Yeah, it does...

tissandtully

I'm having a hard time searching for this, but has anyone mentioned or figured out how many times you gotta load and unload if you're going from each destination? Like from DHS to Epcot? I know when you get on at DHS, you gotta get off at CBR, but then do you have to get off at Riviera to go towards Epcot? Sorry if dumb question.

nickys

Premium Member
I'm having a hard time searching for this, but has anyone mentioned or figured out how many times you gotta load and unload if you're going from each destination? Like from DHS to Epcot? I know when you get on at DHS, you gotta get off at CBR, but then do you have to get off at Riviera to go towards Epcot? Sorry if dumb question.

You only laid at the end of each line, POP, CBR, DHS and IG. Riviera will be a pass through, unless you want to get off there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom