New Gillig Buses

DManRightHere

And remember folks, the front and back doors are the same size. Just because you have a Cadillac stroller does not mean you are entitled to enter through the back doors. The back doors are EXIT only. The driver cannot see people boarding, only disembarking, which is why the doors will close on you if you try to enter. Plus there is a clearly marked DO NOT ENTER international symbol on the doors. The rear door area is also not a stroller storage area. All strollers must be held on to during transit. That is a federal DOT law. Sorry for the rant, but it has been a long week of guests not following SAFETY procedures. I know your on vacation, but this is my job that pays my bills. I love Disney, which is why I am a cast member, but my safety and guest safety trumps everything.

What are protocols for ECV's? I load and unload the mother in laws ECV. I found it easier/quicker to reverse down the ramp instead of trying to turn the dumb thing around inside the bus. The first bus driver was fine with it, the 2nd bus driver flipped out on me and grabbed the ECV and said I had to stop and turn it around?

FireChiefGoofy

Original Poster
What are protocols for ECV's? I load and unload the mother in laws ECV. I found it easier/quicker to reverse down the ramp instead of trying to turn the dumb thing around inside the bus. The first bus driver was fine with it, the 2nd bus driver flipped out on me and grabbed the ECV and said I had to stop and turn it around?

We prefer that you do not back down the ramp. That being said, I let people go whichever way is easier for them and I am always there to assist.

DManRightHere

We prefer that you do not back down the ramp. That being said, I let people go whichever way is easier for them and I am always there to assist.

Thanks! I remember asking the first bus driver, then I was embarrassed/frustrated when the 2nd one did that. I'll just turn the thing around instead of having to discuss it with every bus driver.

Goofyernmost

And he was absolutely right to do so. Just because one driver doesn't care if you get hurt or not, does not mean that they all should. It's procedure, designed for safety and should never be compromised.
Nope. We retired them. Oldest bus is a NovaBus #4815 (it's a 2000) and we are now into the 5200 series Gillig.
I would hope so. Those things must have all had about a million (literally) miles on them and they were very unsafe when loading and unloading wheelchairs and ECV's not to mention how often the lifts broke down. I learned to drive on a RTS bus. I loved them, but, once the Gilleg's hit the streets it wasn't hard to tell that RTS bus days were numbered. Not to mention that the manufacturer went out of business anyway.

Last edited:

DManRightHere

And he was absolutely right to do so. Just because one driver doesn't care if you get hurt or not, does not mean that they all should. It's procedure, designed for safety and should never be compromised.

It was not that I thought the bus driver did not care, it was I thought it was allowed, as I asked the first bus driver and was told to go ahead. Either way I am still a guest taking an ECV down a small ramp.

Goofyernmost

It was not that I thought the bus driver did not care, it was I thought it was allowed, as I asked the first bus driver and was told to go ahead. Either way I am still a guest taking an ECV down a small ramp.
True, but, going down in a forward motion has a much greater chance of a successful ending then backing down it. It was probably alright to back down and obviously you made it safely, but, having been a bus driver (not Disney) I know that I don't want that on my conscious if it didn't go well.:)

FireChiefGoofy

Original Poster
True, but, going down in a forward motion has a much greater chance of a successful ending then backing down it. It was probably alright to back down and obviously you made it safely, but, having been a bus driver (not Disney) I know that I don't want that on my conscious if it didn't go well.:)

We have very strict operating procedures such as full and complete stops at gates (whether open or closed) and signs, ECV loading and unloading, etc. Some drivers choose not to follow them, but I do. You're exactly right, not only do I not need it on my conscious, I don't need it on my record card.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom