New gastropub to replace Captain's Grille at Disney's Yacht Club

Bocabear

ahh but this is a forum for discussing the good and bad... I guess by your glib answer I should respond with "If you don't like my opinion, then leave the forums", but that is not what this is about...and your opinion is all part of the fabric... If you like what they are doing...say so and tell us why... but don't complain that when Disney relases concept art that we look at it and discuss what we see...

NiarrNDisney

I guess my biggest problem with some of the negative opinions and statements given are that they are coming from armchair Imagineers who only see their side of the spectrum and seem to be the same ones complaining about changes all over the Forums. Honestly it just comes across as pretentious prattle from self described experts and people in the know. If you are a engineer, digital artist or interior designer etc etc then by all means apply for a job with Disney and start making the changes you see fit and stop reiterating how you abhor the decisions the Mouse makes.
At the end of the day there is a budget and only so much allotted for each individual project. I for one am just glad to see so many things around the World are getting done for the betterment of the property and guest experiences.

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I guess my biggest problem with some of the negative opinions and statements given are that they are coming from armchair Imagineers who only see their side of the spectrum and seem to be the same ones complaining about changes all over the Forums. Honestly it just comes across as pretentious prattle from self described experts and people in the know. If you are a engineer, digital artist or interior designer etc etc then by all means apply for a job with Disney and start making the changes you see fit and stop reiterating how you abhor the decisions the Mouse makes.
At the end of the day there is a budget and only so much allotted for each individual project. I for one am just glad to see so many things around the World are getting done for the betterment of the property and guest experiences.

Interesting. So we the consumers, the guests of WDW In Your Opinion have no right to express our likes and dislikes on the forums or the site? I adore the theming of the Wilderness Lodge but I do not hold that digital artist or interior design degree nor am I a CM at Disney. So that makes my tastes and love for the theming of the Wilderness Lodge invalid?

NiarrNDisney

Interesting. So we the consumers, the guests of WDW In Your Opinion have no right to express our likes and dislikes on the forums or the site? I adore the theming of the Wilderness Lodge but I do not hold that digital artist or interior design degree nor am I a CM at Disney. So that makes my tastes and love for the theming of the Wilderness Lodge invalid?

No that is not what I am saying at all by no means am I wanting to invalidate your opinions!
I'm simply pointing out that I continue to read the same complaints about different projects and it seems to be the same culprits each time saying them. Their tone comes across as negative and pretentious in the sense that some have even mentioned they have experience in a field of work and can do better, so I said by all means apply with Disney and show off their superior talents to us all with the same restrictions and budgets those in charge of planning and designing now have to work with.
Please share your like or dislike of things but please don't do so in a manner that comes across as better than others opinions respect that others may like what is planned and certainly don't repeat your views ad nauseam just to prove what you think is right and the only way.

Casper Gutman

No that is not what I am saying at all by no means am I wanting to invalidate your opinions!
I'm simply pointing out that I continue to read the same complaints about different projects and it seems to be the same culprits each time saying them. Their tone comes across as negative and pretentious in the sense that some have even mentioned they have experience in a field of work and can do better, so I said by all means apply with Disney and show off their superior talents to us all with the same restrictions and budgets those in charge of planning and designing now have to work with.
Please share your like or dislike of things but please don't do so in a manner that comes across as better than others opinions respect that others may like what is planned and certainly don't repeat your views ad nauseam just to prove what you think is right and the only way.
Most of the negative posts around here are directed at the management team who saddle designers with "restrictions and budgets." In this particular thread, the impression I got was that the anger over the changes at the Yacht Club is directed at the executives who seek to force a bland aesthetic on the hotel, partially out of a sort of sneering disdain at "themed" hotels.

In fact, it's pretty rare to hear attacks directed specifically at Imagineers, and most of those criticisms have to do with Imagineering's inability to work within a budget, criticisms a brief glance at the respective costs of TSL and Diagon Alley shows to be pretty valid.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Most of the negative posts around here are directed at the management team who saddle designers with "restrictions and budgets." In this particular thread, the impression I got was that the anger over the changes at the Yacht Club is directed at the executives who seek to force a bland aesthetic on the hotel, partially out of a sort of sneering disdain at "themed" hotels.

In fact, it's pretty rare to hear attacks directed specifically at Imagineers, and most of those criticisms have to do with Imagineering's inability to work within a budget, criticisms a brief glance at the respective costs of TSL and Diagon Alley shows to be pretty valid.

I had never considered the disdain for themed entertainment as a factor in the recent 'defurbishment' trend which began with the Polynesian,

My thought process was along the lines of Disney being parsimonious with funds in line with Wall St dictates, I never thought about this trend being with malice aforethought.

I'm more of a never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by greed and/or stupidity guy.

Of course that actually makes it worse as it means there is a high level push to destroy that which makes Disney well Disney,

Pleakley

Yes I could discuss all day what I don't like about the design, but the reality is, this bland nonsense is a poor business decision. They are fooling themselves to keep thinking that the major draw to YC and the like is the proximity to the parks. Once they get spruced up some more, maybe. But people stay there instead of the Hilton Bonnet Creek for the immersive experience. Many people like my family keep coming back because they enjoy the resort, doing only leisurely park hopping. And if that charm we love gets stripped away, then what's the point? We'll go to a newer place for half the price. I almost think they see the praise given to some new Residence Inns and the like and think that is where the industry moving. But those types of hotels are meant to create completely different experiences. You arrive with different, likely lower expectations. A $400-$600 a night resort isn't going to satisfy you just by being modern and clean. I want a story, I want to feel like I'm in classic New England luxury, with a sprinkling of Disney whimsy, at the YC. These images look like I'm somewhere and it's fine

Sunset7132

Yes I could discuss all day what I don't like about the design, but the reality is, this bland nonsense is a poor business decision. They are fooling themselves to keep thinking that the major draw to YC and the like is the proximity to the parks. Once they get spruced up some more, maybe. But people stay there instead of the Hilton Bonnet Creek for the immersive experience. Many people like my family keep coming back because they enjoy the resort, doing only leisurely park hopping. And if that charm we love gets stripped away, then what's the point? We'll go to a newer place for half the price. I almost think they see the praise given to some new Residence Inns and the like and think that is where the industry moving. But those types of hotels are meant to create completely different experiences. You arrive with different, likely lower expectations. A $400-$600 a night resort isn't going to satisfy you just by being modern and clean. I want a story, I want to feel like I'm in classic New England luxury, with a sprinkling of Disney whimsy, at the YC. These images look like I'm somewhere and it's fine
Thats a very good point, Your vacations are involved in being immersed in the hotel resort experience,keep it cool , im going to miss the capt grille breakfast

Nubs70

Even if you are.an engineer, decide to take a job with Disney and associated paycut, it is management above you that determines your budget and project approval. Just as in any project outside Disney, one is constrained by authorities that have no idea of what it takes to complete a project.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Its touches like these which make Disney well Disney, take them away and well why wouldn't I stay at the Bonnet Creek Hilton where I can either stay on my million or so HHonors points or add to my collection of points plus get status upgrades.

Flynnwriter

Actually, the negative comments are specific to the level of design Taste and talent - not the executives or budget. Just like all other professions in life, there are talented designers and ones who have bad taste and get jobs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom