New Exhibits on display at AFI

yoda_5729

Original Poster
I genuinely didn't know if this had been posted anywhere else, so I thought I'd make a thread about it. Earlier this month I was at Hollywood Studios, and went to the AFI Showcase to see if they had changed any of the movie artifacts back there. To my suprise, it appeared as if it was a work in progress, but the villains theme was taken down and now a much wide range of props were on display. As I said it was a work in progress as many of the exhibit areas were empty, but things on display included:

-Scarlet O' Hara's Curtain dress from Gone With the Wind (According to the sign, Disney owns the dress)
-Marionettes and one of Julie Andrews costumes from The Sound Of Music.
-A life boat, as well as other props, including Jack Dawson's art portfolio from Titanic.
-Russell Crowe's Gladiator costume
-A brochure from Mount Rushmore from the movie North by Northwest
-A costume from the film sets of Casablanca and the Godfather Part II

I was curious what other exhibits might be on display. One curious showcase had a sign mentioning that the exhibit was taken down to protect the item from getting damaged. The item was Christopher Reeve's Superman cape.

Cmdr_Crimson

Well, at least it's Finally a change from Villians: Movie Characters you love to hate...That has been there for quite some time..

YodaMan

Was there two days ago and the Superman cape was on display. Was sad to see the POTC costumes gone, but the changes were welcome.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I genuinely didn't know if this had been posted anywhere else, so I thought I'd make a thread about it. Earlier this month I was at Hollywood Studios, and went to the AFI Showcase to see if they had changed any of the movie artifacts back there. To my suprise, it appeared as if it was a work in progress, but the villains theme was taken down and now a much wide range of props were on display. As I said it was a work in progress as many of the exhibit areas were empty, but things on display included:

-Scarlet O' Hara's Curtain dress from Gone With the Wind (According to the sign, Disney owns the dress)
-Marionettes and one of Julie Andrews costumes from The Sound Of Music.
-A life boat, as well as other props, including Jack Dawson's art portfolio from Titanic.
-Russell Crowe's Gladiator costume
-A brochure from Mount Rushmore from the movie North by Northwest
-A costume from the film sets of Casablanca and the Godfather Part II

I was curious what other exhibits might be on display. One curious showcase had a sign mentioning that the exhibit was taken down to protect the item from getting damaged. The item was Christopher Reeve's Superman cape.
Alway glad to see good changes. Yea for keeping things fresh.

yoda_5729

Original Poster
After reading the sign for the Scarlet O Hara dress, it does make mention it is a reproduction. It is common however for the movies to have several dresses made, that way if there is a seam breakage, spill or some other problem they have another in waiting. I think Marilyn's white dress that the skirt flew up on, they had four different dresses. Only one of them is known to still exist though as it was auctioned off for over 5 million a few years back.

Also there were other dresses and props I didn't get good pictures of, including from Citizen Kane, West Side Story, etc. I was actually hopeful something of Marilyn's might be put on display, but they made no mention of the other areas, except that the Superman cape was off display for the day. I wish Hollywood Studios would make this larger and bigger, as a museum on Hollywood is very important in celebrating Hollywood and movies.

Here are some photos from the exhibits, though more looked to be opened in the future...

1102145.jpg

1102144s.jpg

1102142.jpg

1102141.jpg

1102140.jpg

1102139.jpg

1102138.jpg

1102137.jpg

1102136.jpg

1102135.jpg

1102134.jpg

1102132.jpg

1102131.jpg

1102129.jpg

1102128.jpg

1102125.jpg

1102124.jpg

TalkingHead

I'm impressed with the authentic props and costumes -- the suit from Godfather II and the North by Northwest notes are especially nice. Wish there was more of this sort of thing at DHS, but this is certainly better than the villains display they had for years.

yoda_5729

Original Poster
You can visit it without going on the backlot tour. You simply go into the area that Honey I Shunk The Kids Playground and Studio Catering are located. There is a walkway leading away from them, past a store that sells little kids and sometimes muppet merchandise, past the Monsters Inc Meet and Greet. On the side of the door is an AFI Showcase sign, and you go inside. First there is a store selling books on classic Hollywood, and some other merchandise, but around the corner in the store is the movie props. As I said there was still a large section for expansion in terms of other props, these were just the ones I saw when I was there. On nights with Osborne, the shop closes at dusk.

As a side note, the store often sells books on Marilyn, which as you can see by my icon, is a big positive for me. :)

Gonzo79

I've always enjoyed walking through the AFI Showcase and was a little disappointed I missed it on our last trip this past October. Nice to see they made some changes.

Does anyone know exactly how long Villians was showcased ? It does seem like it was there for quite a bit.

yoda_5729

Original Poster
Has anyone seen if there are anymore new displays in this area of Disney's Hollywood Studios. The biggest reason I was curious was because when I was there there were several empty display areas, and I was wondering if they were ever filled. Thank you in advance for any updates.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom