New Executive Structure?

The Duck

Either Staggs
  1. Likes Crofton's style of cost cutting. (Staggs comes from a background of finance)
  2. Is setting Crofton up to fail. (If so, why not just fire her?)
  3. is involved with Crofton in some way. Cough.

This will result in either
  1. Staggs and Croften cost cutting and tightening the Disney belt until it's on the last hole.
  2. Crofton "retiring" soon.
  3. Crofton and Staggs becoming the new power couple.

I want to be optimistic about this. I'm looking forward to seeing what the coming year produces.

I just wish that there was someone with some creativity holding the title of Chairman or President in the new executive structure. It is all HR and Finance.

I have a gut feeling about #2. I've seen enough cutthroat business practices at my own job to smell something rotten with this. Perhaps he won't outright fire her due to something "ironclad" in her contract? :shrug:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Either Staggs
  1. Likes Crofton's style of cost cutting. (Staggs comes from a background of finance)
  2. Is setting Crofton up to fail. (If so, why not just fire her?)
  3. is involved with Crofton in some way. Cough.

This will result in either
  1. Staggs and Croften cost cutting and tightening the Disney belt until it's on the last hole.
  2. Crofton "retiring" soon.
  3. Crofton and Staggs becoming the new power couple.

I want to be optimistic about this. I'm looking forward to seeing what the coming year produces.

I just wish that there was someone with some creativity holding the title of Chairman or President in the new executive structure. It is all HR and Finance.

Saying Staggs is a cost-cutter because he has a finance background is as much of a leap as assuming I'm an income tax guru because I'm CPA. Both sound like they're true at first, but a little digging shows the leap was astray. Without TurboTax, I couldn't fill out anything beyond a 1040EZ.

Staggs' background is as an investment banker, I believe. Cost-cutters they are not. They make money by buying low and selling high. While some do it by recognizing opportunities for cost-cutting, most do it by knowing how to run a business and make it work better. They buy out companies, put in competent, professional management, reinvest in what works, streamline strategy, and turnaround businesses that have a good core, but have gone astray in their operations. I don't know what kind of investment banker Staggs was, but I work with investment bankers all the time, and "cost-cutter" is not what I think of. Indeed, it's closer to "risk-taker".

If you want to be optimistic, take the view that Meg Crofton did what Jay Rasulo wanted and did it well, because that's what Jay told her to do, and that Tom Staggs saw this, and decided Meg would be good at following his direction as well, even though his direction will be different than Jay's. While I can't say anything about how Disney is run, in some companies, the "Operations" division is responsible for execution, while others decide the strategy to be executed. If you want to be optimistic, that's your angle.

Scar Junior

I think it's funny that Meg gets blasted in almost every thread for issues that have nothing to do with her. Nobody is without their faults but seriously people... the mentality on this forum is sometimes embarrassing. Being upset/frustrated with the way things are operating at WDW is one thing... but hating and ridiculing some name you've been told is the villain is telling of character.

Perhaps in this case perception is reality. I can understand that. But I don't get how so many people can put so much blame about so many things that are wrong on just a few people.

I think for many of you, regardless of economic conditions or corporate initiatives... the name at the top of the flow chart is the one you will target. I just don't quite get the final goal of your mission.

Testtrack321

2e7d522e-916f-4e91-86eb-98158b1cf4b9.jpg

misterID

Wouldn't this move put Meg under Staggs constant scrutiny... And on a much larger scale?

EDIT: Just read the article. This part is interesting:

Staggs also added Crofton to his executive committee, the inner circle of executives reporting directly to Staggs — in a move he said is designed "to continue the great work of sharing best practices and leveraging our operational expertise across our properties."

I don't think anyone at WDW has ever had to defend, explain, map out their decisions in an enviornment like this, with a crowd like this, since they've basically been working on an island away from the main offices. And it looks like WDW might be under Anaheim's eyes a little more often now. I just keep remembering Staggs intervening in TDO's horrible initial fantasyland expansion.

It seems DL will answer to Meg the way they did with Al Weiss, who it seems people hated even more than Meg for his cheap, unimaginative, cost-cutting management style... Which really didn't mean much, recently anyway, seeing everything is still going to be put through Staggs. I know Al's position has been erased, but she's still basically filling it... And its power seems to have been greatly diminished. I don't really see a change at DL. I could be wrong, though.

This... Might be a good thing?

:lookaroun

jt04

I think it's funny that Meg gets blasted in almost every thread for issues that have nothing to do with her. Nobody is without their faults but seriously people... the mentality on this forum is sometimes embarrassing. Being upset/frustrated with the way things are operating at WDW is one thing... but hating and ridiculing some name you've been told is the villain is telling of character.

Perhaps in this case perception is reality. I can understand that. But I don't get how so many people can put so much blame about so many things that are wrong on just a few people.

I think for many of you, regardless of economic conditions or corporate initiatives... the name at the top of the flow chart is the one you will target. I just don't quite get the final goal of your mission.

My best guess is that there are some behind the scenes power struggles that have gone on since Eisner left. It could be that some of the posters who have been the biggest critics of TDO thought they were helping others outside of TDO (probably at TDA) to ascend to some of these positions. I personally believe this realignment has been in the works for years and that the loudest voices on some of these message boards knew this and were motivated to wage an ill conceived internet campaign that has utterly backfired. Now what I am really curious about is to how much Disney knows about these "anonymous" voices and whether or not they were flacking for and with the knowledge of people employed by the mouse. Because some of the personal attacks have been way over the line. I am not refering to front line CM types who just vent on boards like this. Rather upper level folks who may have thought they could benefit by attacking TDO and TDO personnel so viciously and personally. Because if this is the case.....well I wouldn't want to be them.

Even Lee has the good sense to not wade into these waters. But I bet he desperately wants to. :lol:

Finally, I am of the opinion that all the negative rants against TDO are groundless and most of the TDO management team are very competent (and are viewed that way by those who matter). The entire propaganda campaign against TDO lies in ruins. Some here can't let it go though no matter how ridiculous it has been revealed to be.

misterID

My best guess is that there are some behind the scenes power struggles that have gone on since Eisner left. It could be that some of the posters who have been the biggest critics of TDO thought they were helping others outside of TDO (probably at TDA) to ascend to some of these positions. I personally believe this realignment has been in the works for years and that the loudest voices on some of these message boards knew this and were motivated to wage an ill conceived internet campaign that has utterly backfired. Now what I am really curious about is to how much Disney knows about these "anonymous" voices and whether or not they were flacking for and with the knowledge of people employed by the mouse. Because some of the personal attacks have been way over the line. I am not refering to front line CM types who just vent on boards like this. Rather upper level folks who may have thought they could benefit by attacking TDO and TDO personnel so viciously and personally. Because if this is the case.....well I wouldn't want to be them.

Even Lee has the good sense to not wade into these waters. But I bet he desperately wants to. :lol:

Finally, I am of the opinion that all the negative rants against TDO are groundless and most of the TDO management team are very competent (and are viewed that way by those who matter). The entire propaganda campaign against TDO lies in ruins. Some here can't let it go though no matter how ridiculous it has been revealed to be.

I don't look at it as some anti TDO propaganda machine... It's some posters on a message board who hate TDO - Which is a very generic, vanilla, cheap-operating management team. You're being a bit over dramatic, dude. And ridiculous. Proof is in the pudding and people have legit reasons to not like TDO. Personally, TDO isn't something to be impressed with. Especially going by the lastest attendance esitmates. WDW has fallen short on a myriad of different issues for years, all due to TDO.

Having said that, in a business you do need someone like Meg. You really do. You need the by the books, unsentimental, squeeze every penny type of personality. But you need someone with great imagination and creativity to to lead. You don't put someone like Meg in charge unless you have a strong leader over them. And I don't think they've had that until now. Especially over WDW.

This is the direct quote from Staggs:

Meg will report directly to me and become a member of my executive committee, allowing us to continue the great work of sharing best practices and leveraging our operational expertise across our properties. Meg understands and respects the unique heritage and characteristics of each of our theme park resort locations, which gives me great confidence in her ability to fulfill this role while preserving and enhancing what makes each of our properties so special in their own right.

That gives me hope. I've been riding the Staggs fanboy bus from the start :D

HMF

My thoughts exactly. Someday I'd like to be able to fail upwards... stupid competence (please note that I originally misspelled the word "competence").

and people wonder why our economy is in the trash. It is because of idiotic corporate decisions such as this.

iubigman

Times like these:

I am someone who loves the parks, will notice when things aren't the way I like them to be, be happy when things are looking good.

I also only get to go every other year or so, and don't pay too much attention to the "Inside Baseball" type stuff about who is on what board or what management team with WDW or DisneyParks.

I will just say this, it seems like the Internet Universe of Disney Fans was waiting for something to complain about for the last few years and now they've got it, and all the negativity seems to be for it's own sake.

Meg Crofton (whose name I only know from hearing it sometimes on Podcasts) apparently has made WDW a horrible place to visit and nearly destroyed our beloved institution. Well, that's news to me.

Pleasure Island closed. Yes, that wasn't a great thing. However, the clubs were empty nearly every night.

The Pixar Pals parade isn't amazing, OK.

Here's where we get into nutso territory:

"She's run the parks into the ground" Oy
"MK hasn't had a major expansion in 20 years" (If only there was an amazing MK expansion in the works)

I don't care about Meg Crofton. All I know is the Parks are a wonderful place for my son and family to visit. Disney's California Adventure is adding an amazing amount of attractions in the next year. Magic Kingdom's expansion will be one of the most incredible the park has seen in DECADES.
I am eagerly looking forward to my trip next month.

I guess I will just have to lay off the internet for a while, for fear of people telling me I am not allowed to enjoy it, that my dole whip won't taste good, that my kid won't love Toy Stpry Mania, that he'll cry the second we walk into the Magic Kingdom, because Meg Crofton got a promotion.

:brick:

MerlinTheGoat

iubigman-

First of all, no one is telling you that you shouldn't be able to enjoy the parks. That's stupid and you shouldn't get so defensive about it. Don't try to make assumptions about people who visit these forums and express their own opinions. No one is going to get angry that you enjoy yourself, why the heck would they? Ridiculous assumption. Your opinion is perfectly valid, there's no problem with that...

For the rest of your comments- there's a lot more issues than the very few you listed (forget the maintenance issues?). While your son wouldn't necessarily know who Meg was, or pick up on tiny details, he'd probably wonder why certain figures in rides are either broken or severely messed up if he knew they were supposed to work in a certain way (like Brer Rabbit jumping along). Depends on the person, the thing you're looking for, and whether they go to Disney World a lot.

Now for the main thing- Disney as a corporation is basically counting on the fact that there are people who don't have any problems with the diminishing quality. This is NOT an insult (so don't try to read it as one), but that's sort of the kind of people that share your own attitude. While it's nice that you can still enjoy the parks, the quality issues are there whether we complain about them or not. Some people are genuinely irritated though (not without good reasons). It's not wrong to want the best since we are in fact paying for it. Complaining isn't even hurting your enjoyment anyways, is it? It shouldn't. Let people complain if they feel like they're entitled to do so (which they are, it is their money after all).

Fantasyland Expansion is quite popular in concept, but it really isn't adding a whole lot compared to what DCA is getting. All in all, we're actually effectively getting one physical new ride (Mermaid). Dwarf Coaster is replacing a pre-exising attraction, and Dumbo is simply adding more capacity. The rest is either food or meet n greets. Hopefully more improvements are eventually added (maybe a Peter Pan redo). I'm personally pretty happy with it, but you have to take things in perspective.

jakeman

Hello DisneyInsider.

I will defer to those who know more on how Disney management works.

But doesn't most of this come across her desk for approval?????
Probably not.

I'm a pretty low level manager at my job and I still make decisions daily without consulting my boss beforehand that involves tens of thousands of dollars.

On most expenses less than $5000 I'm instructed not to even go to my manager, just do it.

One level above me, you are talking about millions of dollars without input from any executives.

Granted, I don't work for Disney and when I did it was just a CP, but if they are similar, mid-level managers have much more leeway than I think most people realize.

tinfoilhat.jpg

iubigman

My point isn't so much about people like me ignoring things, it's that I don't believe there is that much to ignore.

It's also more a comment on the way the internet communities (not just Disney) operate.

The mob mentality, and overt negativism is simply astounding. However, I get it, people don't go running to their keyboard to post about how great something is.

I went though the Save Disney stuff, which I think was far more valid than this current "protest", and I enjoyed the parks then as well. I think the switch to Iger really helped the parks, and the last decade has seen far more good brought to the Parks than bad, that's just my opinion, and I just get sad that Disney Fandom will now be dominated by this for the next few weeks, months?

I'm going to choose to ignore it all, and enjoy myself.

misterID

I am someone who loves the parks, will notice when things aren't the way I like them to be, be happy when things are looking good.

I also only get to go every other year or so, and don't pay too much attention to the "Inside Baseball" type stuff about who is on what board or what management team with WDW or DisneyParks.

I will just say this, it seems like the Internet Universe of Disney Fans was waiting for something to complain about for the last few years and now they've got it, and all the negativity seems to be for it's own sake.

Meg Crofton (whose name I only know from hearing it sometimes on Podcasts) apparently has made WDW a horrible place to visit and nearly destroyed our beloved institution. Well, that's news to me.

Pleasure Island closed. Yes, that wasn't a great thing. However, the clubs were empty nearly every night.

"MK hasn't had a major expansion in 20 years" (If only there was an amazing MK expansion in the works)

I don't care about Meg Crofton. All I know is the Parks are a wonderful place for my son and family to visit. Disney's California Adventure is adding an amazing amount of attractions in the next year. Magic Kingdom's expansion will be one of the most incredible the park has seen in DECADES.

I guess I will just have to lay off the internet for a while, for fear of people telling me I am not allowed to enjoy it, that my dole whip won't taste good, that my kid won't love Toy Stpry Mania, that he'll cry the second we walk into the Magic Kingdom, because Meg Crofton got a promotion.

I haven't read anywhere about people criticising those who like their WDW vacations. There are a lot of people who have very different perspectives. Yes, there's more insights into the inner workings of Disney, and a lot of people are upset at the decisions that are made regarding refurbs and unfinished refurbs, budget cuts for new attractions, canceled attractions, shutterd up attractions, and the lack of expansion and attention to some of the parks, based on knowing those decisions and inner workings. They do it because they love the parks, not because they're looking for something to complain about. Like that expansion that you're talking about almost didn't happen because of Meg... But that's not worth getting into since you don't care about all the insider stuff, and you don't seem too interested in why some people are upset with some people in Disney, just the fact that they ARE upset seems to annoy you.

You enjoy your Disney trips with your family? Great. No ones telling you that you can't.

iubigman

You get that is metaphor, right, that nobody actually told me that my dole whip won't taste good?

Again, I would care more about Meg Crofton "almost making the FL expansion not happen", if, you know, it hadn't happened. But it did.

My point again, is more about the setting up of one particular straw man (or woman in this case), and getting out all of the constant internet rage on that.

Also, the people who do these things because they love the parks, seem to only point out negatives. And that's not a criticism of them per se, but of how our culture works now in the internet age. I read a Trip Report yesterday, where every sentence ended with "nothing to complain about here" or "nothing negative to report". We are constantly looking to find what is BAD in everything so we can shout it to the rafters, and that only intensifies when these mob-like crusades happen every couple of years or so, and I don't enjoy it, that's all.

devoy1701

Oh wow...this is a fun one!

I added some comments, but I think you get my drift. I am going to continue to play devils advocate here because I feel that we tend to develop this mob mentality when none of us actually have the facts. It's very easy to join the crowd and point fingers, but without facts then are just baseless accusations. Again, I definitely don't agree with the lacking maintenance practices or broken effects...and I blame whomever may be responsible. However, just because she is the big boss doesn't mean she micromanages every area and every decision. The executives below her all got to their positions because someone believed in their decision making abilities.

Evan...in the business world, you are responsible for every decision that your subordinates make...regardless of whether you micromanage them or not. While certain maintenance decisions might have been made by an Operations Manager, or the decision to cut F! down to 2 nights a week might have rested with a VP, the decision to let those decisions stand fall with her. In another scenario...a CEO or CEO might have no idea that a certain corporate accountant was cooking the books and supplying the auditors with false records, but it's still their responsibility to know and their fault they let it happen.

Anything that has happened under Meg's watch that has led to a deteriorating product is ultimately her fault.

I am not getting into the whole "Hate Eisner" bandwagon. It's tired, old and water under the bridge.

90% of the time we have no real clue what is going on behind the scenes when it comes to budgeting and financing all of the projects so many spoiled guests demand. All we can do is speculate and hope. I mean if you know so much about it why don't you submit a resume, ace an interview and go to work for them? Then you can dictate and come back and tell us all how easy it really is. Maybe you can wow us with your genuis and solve all the problems. See how easy it is to criticize a person you know nothing about??? :p

If you paid any attention to my posts in the past..you would know that I am not a "Hate Eisner" bandwagoner...infact I'm probably the biggest proponent of Eisner on these boards. I'm not pretending to know how hard Meg's job is, but a business person can't use the excuse "do you know how hard my job is?" to explain away a deteriation in show quality, originality, and identity within WDW. That's absurd to use the idea that "we don't know what their job is really like" to ever defend against someone's actions as viewed from the public eye.

Seriously.

Is The Gap hiring?

^ This was funny! ^ :lol:

You have to be able to put a name/face to an issue when addressing it. She is responsible for WDW, so she is to blame.

I don't look at it as some anti TDO propaganda machine... It's some posters on a message board who hate TDO - Which is a very generic, vanilla, cheap-operating management team. You're being a bit over dramatic, dude. And ridiculous. Proof is in the pudding and people have legit reasons to not like TDO. Personally, TDO isn't something to be impressed with. Especially going by the lastest attendance esitmates. WDW has fallen short on a myriad of different issues for years, all due to TDO.

Having said that, in a business you do need someone like Meg. You really do. You need the by the books, unsentimental, squeeze every penny type of personality. But you need someone with great imagination and creativity to to lead. You don't put someone like Meg in charge unless you have a strong leader over them. And I don't think they've had that until now. Especially over WDW.

This is the direct quote from Staggs:

That gives me hope. I've been riding the Staggs fanboy bus from the start :D

Mr. ID....I was going to say it...but then you did...so I thank you for addressing JT's post!

Nobody is saying you souldn't enjoy WDW.... has anyone else here seen ANYONE say such an absurd thing????

I still love WDW, I still visit (though I'm taking a hiatus for 18 months), and I still have a great time when I visit.

This stance that "fans" like you take against those of us who want to see quality return the parks is ridiculous. How about you actually read the arguments and reasoning that people are supplying and think back to what the parks used to offer...everything from live entertainment throughout the parks to night time entertainment.

WDW is a great place (that used to be a whole lot better), Disneyland is better than WDW and offers just about everything WDW does, and I've been told that Tokyo Disneyland blows both out of the water by a longshot. With Meg's promotion though there is now a greater opportunity for not only WDW quality to continue to decline but for that to spread now back to Disneyland and Paris.

iubigman-

First of all, no one is telling you that you shouldn't be able to enjoy the parks. That's stupid and you shouldn't get so defensive about it. Don't try to make assumptions about people who visit these forums and express their own opinions. No one is going to get angry that you enjoy yourself, why the heck would they? Ridiculous assumption. Your opinion is perfectly valid, there's no problem with that...

For the rest of your comments- there's a lot more issues than the very few you listed (forget the maintenance issues?). While your son wouldn't necessarily know who Meg was, or pick up on tiny details, he'd probably wonder why certain figures in rides are either broken or severely messed up if he knew they were supposed to work in a certain way (like Brer Rabbit jumping along). Depends on the person, the thing you're looking for, and whether they go to Disney World a lot.

Now for the main thing- Disney as a corporation is basically counting on the fact that there are people who don't have any problems with the diminishing quality. This is NOT an insult (so don't try to read it as one), but that's sort of the kind of people that share your own attitude. While it's nice that you can still enjoy the parks, the quality issues are there whether we complain about them or not. Some people are genuinely irritated though (not without good reasons). It's not wrong to want the best since we are in fact paying for it. Complaining isn't even hurting your enjoyment anyways, is it? It shouldn't. Let people complain if they feel like they're entitled to do so (which they are, it is their money after all).

Fantasyland Expansion is quite popular in concept, but it really isn't adding a whole lot compared to what DCA is getting. All in all, we're actually effectively getting one physical new ride (Mermaid). Dwarf Coaster is replacing a pre-exising attraction, and Dumbo is simply adding more capacity. The rest is either food or meet n greets. Hopefully more improvements are eventually added (maybe a Peter Pan redo). I'm personally pretty happy with it, but you have to take things in perspective.

Merlin...I like you...please join our cause... :D :lookaroun

misterID

You get that is metaphor, right, that nobody actually told me that my dole whip won't taste good?

Again, I would care more about Meg Crofton "almost making the FL expansion not happen", if, you know, it hadn't happened. But it did.

My point again, is more about the setting up of one particular straw man (or woman in this case), and getting out all of the constant internet rage on that.

Also, the people who do these things because they love the parks, seem to only point out negatives. And that's not a criticism of them per se, but of how our culture works now in the internet age. I read a Trip Report yesterday, where every sentence ended with "nothing to complain about here" or "nothing negative to report". We are constantly looking to find what is BAD in everything so we can shout it to the rafters, and that only intensifies when these mob-like crusades happen every couple of years or so, and I don't enjoy it, that's all.

Yes, I know you were being sarcastic, and over dramatic.

See, there's the problem. Again, you don't seem to care about WHY people are upset with her. You don't like people being negative. Period. The expansion happened despite her, so you're happy. Good for you. But then she gets promoted to a higher position, with a track record of actually nixing expansions, refurbs, etc and making bad decisions for the parks. Some people know it, aren't happy about it. You admittedly don't know much about her, but don't want people criticizing her. Well, too bad. Not trying to be harsh, but that's the way it works.

Plus, that's the burden of being in charge and having her position.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom