New Enhancements to Soarin' Queue

Epcot82Guy

Thanks for the video. I like the idea, but I do think it killed what little bit of Epcot education was there. Oh well, that could easily be installed in the entry hallway or elsewhere in the attraction.

Question, though. Does anyone else feel like these look a little unfinished for an attraction queue line. THe bird one looked good, but the others seemed very simple. Maybe this is just meant as a test phase (which would make sense), but the animation left me a little underwhelmed compared to what we are seeing in virtual animation elsewhere in the parks.

the-reason14

Ohh I cant wait to try this next week while im down there. Typically I dont plan on standing in line but this one I will, Im still gon fastpass it but you know.

Captain Hank

Thanks for the video. I like the idea, but I do think it killed what little bit of Epcot education was there. Oh well, that could easily be installed in the entry hallway or elsewhere in the attraction.

Question, though. Does anyone else feel like these look a little unfinished for an attraction queue line. THe bird one looked good, but the others seemed very simple. Maybe this is just meant as a test phase (which would make sense), but the animation left me a little underwhelmed compared to what we are seeing in virtual animation elsewhere in the parks.
I agree with the slightly unfinished look. I'm not sure whether this is to be considered a test phase or the final product. I was slightly put off at the screen that shows after a period of inactivity. It shows a really abstract background, with "Experience The Land" in Papyrus font.

Note that the game cannot be experienced in the Fastpass line due to a new large wall separating the standby line from the Fastpass queue in the Great Hall.

naumoney

Well, I ran down a couple of days ago to check it all out.
Here are some pics

Here is the whole setup (on it's Idle screen):
DSCF0799.jpg

Here is a group playing the bouncy ball game:
(the white outlines are everybody in line, if you move, those parts of you turn colors and affect the game. Those standing still do not affect the gameplay.)
DSCF0812.jpg

Blob Game:
DSCF0806.jpg

And to those of you wondering about the line getting held up, It turns out they did think this through!

They have a new stop point:
DSCF0815.jpg

and the CM running it has control of this:
(They don't run the games when they want to move the line)
Also, they can deactivate the far screens if the line isn't back to them.
DSCF0809.jpg

On the Technical side:
Here are the projectors, there are 2 on each screen, a backup I believe:
DSCF0800.jpg

Here is the thermal camera and the infrared (sp?) spot lights around it:
DSCF0798.jpg

A CM said that Imagineering is camped out nearby, and the games are not finished, there should be more coming!

There ya go, enjoy!

SirNim

Cool photos, thanks.

Now, I would be the first one to espouse the notion that the attraction, as well as its queue, should have an educational aspect, but admittedly, the former trivia screens seemed to be too contrived, too haphazard, too superficial. The appropriate "edutainment" factor for Soarin' lies with a new film highlighting, besides various natural wonders, agricultural locations throughout the world. And, I'll reiterate, the Eyvind Earle-inspired artwork is great.

Capt. Jack

Thanks for posting the pictures.

You know, I must say, although thats cool & all, but how many people will "forget" that their actually in a "line" & just stand there playing that game? Am I right or wrong?

Laura

Premium Member
I was wondering how they'd keep the line moving with people playing the games, but it sounds like they have it all figured out. It looks really cool and it would be neat to add that kind of technology to other boring queues.

Seems like the biggest issue is that the Soarin' queue is so wide. If it was a single file line I bet the games would be more fun (less crowded).

JML42691

Did they change the lighting in the queue or is that just the cameras. If it has changed (which I bet it did with the projectors) then I like the new way better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom