New Enhancements, Dining Options Coming to Disney’s BoardWalk

Ayla

With things like the slight-of hand with the "$xx.99" pricing and completely removing the extremely expensive items like the $78 charcuterie, this seems more like a pure PR move made out of panic rather than a genuine correction of their prices. Not to mention changing the price of cake slices from a range of $22-26 to $23 across the board (except one which is $25) to give the illusion of lower prices, but in reality the average price for a slice of cake only went from $23.56 to $23.21. :rolleyes:

Given the clear attempt to change the perception of their pricing, they really missed the mark again with the soft drink prices. Fountain drinks are almost entirely profit, so they could have afforded to drop the prices much more, which would have had a big impact on the way their prices were perceived since soft drinks are a universal common point of reference and a big part of why the $8 Coke was such a big talking point. Only lowering the price from $8 to $7... sorry $6.99... (which is still more than Disney charges their captive audience in the park for fountain drinks) was a missed opportunity for easy PR points.
They have bungled every single aspect of this opening. I don't follow any Disney bloggers, but I have yet to see an honest review of their private preview posted here.

WorldExplorer

Given the clear attempt to change the perception of their pricing, they really missed the mark again with the soft drink prices. Fountain drinks are almost entirely profit, so they could have afforded to drop the prices much more, which would have had a big impact on the way their prices were perceived since soft drinks are a universal common point of reference and a big part of why the $8 Coke was such a big talking point. Only lowering the price from $8 to $7... sorry $6.99... (which is still more than Disney charges their captive audience in the park for fountain drinks) was a missed opportunity for easy PR points.

The soda sticks out to me as the worst part. I can look at all the other stuff and think "well, maybe they're made with ridiculously high quality ingredients. Maybe it's actually fair if I knew what went into it...". But then I see they're selling basic Coke products for eight/seven bucks and I realize they're okay with pumping up the price for no reason.

It makes the rest of their operation look bad because it makes it harder to give them the benefit of the doubt.

ToTBellHop

Well, they opened up today…
1729780340273.gif

When did construction start again?
1729780378707.gif

bmr1591

I saw a tic tock video review of it last night... He said it looked nice, He liked his $24 slice of red velvet cake I am sure he did not pay for...nor did he mention the prices... Influencers will never give a truly honest review while they are getting free cake and food....

They all had red velvet, made sure to mention the chocolate chips in the icing, and they were all excited about the afternoon tea when they started it. Every single influencer said the exact same thing. Such a clear script was given for free food.

And for all the hate they get, Disney Food Blog and the site that can't be named weren't present, which tells me they probably refused invitations for not being allowed to go off script and give an honest review.

disneylandtour

Sadly, this place is going to fail so hard. It should be used as an example what not to do when opening a third-party restaurant on property. They WILDLY overspent on the refurb. It opened a year late. There are a GAZILLION people working there, most with nothing to do. The theme doesn't match the surroundings--drag this over to GF and maybe it fits better. The function doesn't match location. (i.e. crescent lake is mostly people coming or going to EPCOT or maybe getting a late dinner or lite lunch. It's not a top-dollar brunch location.). They botched the rollout with excessively high prices. They managed to get the most pre-opening online hate of any Disney restaurant I've ever seen. And the overall vibe of the place is sorta like a Cheesecake Factory, which doesn't really appeal to me.

Oh, and even though they've apparently been working on property for TWO YEARS, they haven't yet figured out that frontline employees at Disney are referred to as Cast Members. All of their signs, referring to employees, in the job call them Team Members, which is Universal's term.

The level and depth of mis-steps here are sorta stunning. And any group that made this many mistakes pre-opening clearly have the ability to correct all this in the months that follow.

And the super strange thing, all you need to do is walk across the bridge to have a meal at Ale and Compass, which is about 35% to 40% of the cost and which is also one of the best modestly-priced restaurants anywhere on property with excellent food.

disneylandtour

Or to put this in even clear perspective, at dinner, you can get this for a couple bucks more at Ale and Compass compared to a single piece of cake at Cake ..

"Brick" Lemon-Herb Half Chicken

Duck Fat-roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Broccolini, Sautéed Wild Mushroom, and Pan Jus

Or during breakfast or lunch, you can get any of these for three to five bucks less than a single piece of cake over at the new place...

Crab Cake Benedict*​

Poached Eggs, Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes, Arugula, Lemon-Herb Hollandaise

Steak and Egg*​

Sirloin Steak, Poached Egg, Red Flannel Hash, Brown Butter Hollandaise

Fish & Chips​

with House-made Vinegar Chips and Lemon-Caper Tartar Sauce

Chicken and Waffles​

Crispy Fried Chicken, Savory Waffles, Cranberry-Maple Syrup

Last edited by a moderator:

UNCgolf

And the super strange thing, all you need to do is walk across the bridge to have a meal at Ale and Compass, which is about 35% to 40% of the cost of the Cake Rape and which is also one of the best modestly-priced restaurants anywhere on property with excellent food.

You can also walk almost next door to Cake Bake and eat at what is probably the best non-V&A restaurant on property if you're looking to spend something similar to Cake Bake prices.

disneylandtour

You can also walk almost next door to Cake Bake and eat at what is probably the best non-V&A restaurant on property if you're looking to spend something similar to Cake Bake prices.
Flying Fish?? Actually, that might be at or near the bottom of my list of signature restaurants on property. But also, I imagine the service, quality of food, and presentation to be a million times better at Flying than at the Cake place.

Just as a side point, I'd put the Disney restaurants in this order: V&A, Takumi, Mason Paul, Topolino's, Jiko, Citricos, Tiffin's, and then after that, we can quibble...

UNCgolf

Flying Fish?? Actually, that might be at or near the bottom of my list of signature restaurants on property. But also, I imagine the service, quality of food, and presentation to be a million times better at Flying than at the Cake place.

Just as a side point, I'd put the Disney restaurants in this order: V&A, Takumi, Mason Paul, Topolino's, Jiko, Citricos, Tiffin's, and then after that, we can quibble...

I forgot about Takumi, but for me Flying Fish is better than Topolino's, Citrico's, or Tiffin's (and was much better than California Grill before California Grill went to prix fixe nonsense). I've never eaten at Jiko so no opinion there.

I've eaten at Flying Fish twice in the last 6 or 7 years and they're probably the two best meals I've had on property in that time frame.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom