New enhancements coming to WDW's Haunted Mansion for the 50th anniversary?

Imagineer999

Original Poster
Sorry but just read this thread. I'd also remove the "jump scare" ghosts on a stick in the cemetery. They're tacky and out of character with the other happy haunts.

they add a scare factor to the mansion though, and the song they sing is all about shrieking and being creepy. They screamed until the 80s. There's a reason why Grim Grinning Ghosts is subtitled "the screaming song."

Sped2424

As some people on here know WDW had a Hatbox Ghost situation in itself, the infamous web man (removed very early on due to being “too scary” and was stored under the graveyard by the omnimover motors for a while. Not sure what happened to him after that). I’d like to see him finally see the light of day but I doubt that will ever happen. WDW was to originally receive a Hatbox Ghost in 1971 but we all know how that went.
View attachment 385628

Also here is the original WDW bride. I’d love to see her return and kick chatty Connie out.
View attachment 385629
View attachment 385630
BRING BACK MAN IN THE WEB

Dragonman

I mean I enjoyed the call backs to the ride but Eddie Murphy wasn’t exactly the right casting choice.

Btw as far as I know the California pop ups are still synced to the music while the Florida ones just randomly pop up now.

Last edited:

Sped2424

I mean I enjoyed the call backs to the ride but Eddie Murphy wasn’t exactly the right casting choice.

Btw as far as I know the California pop ups are still synced to the music while the Florida ones just randomly pop up now.
I don't think the films problems were Eddie Murphy truly. He actually did a pretty great job for what he had to work with. Haunted Mansion should have never been meant to be a feel good family romp about a suburban dad reconnecting with his kids!

Last edited:

Bocabear

I hope they restore the moving candelabra in the conservatory (outside)...Seems like that does not work anymore ...
And I like that they added the Sinister 11 portraits to the loading hall...Makes it look more like it is in a house rather than an odd dark space.
Did they used to have mist projectors on the far back wall in there? Seems like I remember that but might be confused with the California version... What would be amazing is to add the grand staircase from the DLP version....that is amazing...Of course done to match the architecture, but that set adds so much dimension to the overall loading scene...and also makes it feel more like it is in an actual mansion...as opposed to a show building. The Music room exterior outside the window should likewise get a matching projection cyclorama so that the storm is visible in both the portrait gallery, music room,and ballroom... The DLP Storm sequence in the grand stair hall is amazing in person!

go to 3:31

ryan1

I'd like the exterior trees back partially blocking the view of the building in order to return the feeling you are walking up to a long abandoned mansion that has not been landscaped. It no longer feels eerie. Also, bring back the howling wolf.

I'm ok with most of the "enhancements" from '07 but nothing else original needs to be tinkered with. Just clean it up and make sure everything is working correctly and in sync.

tirian

Having just seen the holiday overlay in DLR last year, I agree with the FL guests. The overlay wasn't very fun, felt very slapped on and just didn't fit the themeing of HM. You'd think it would, but it doesn't.
Same here. I enjoyed the movie before Hot Topic made it popular, but I never liked the overlay. Plus, I absolutely hate how Disney Entertainment tethers most of New Orleans Square to NBC during the holiday season. That’s the only BGM throughout the streets and cafés. It’s nothing like the real Nola during Christmas—just a giant commercial for one movie.

tirian

Another thing TDO needs to do for the Mansion is restore the original Hitchhiking Ghosts effect. The old version was convincing. The new version is a blurry cartoon that you go by so fast you can barely grasp what the ghosts are doing. It's a major fail.
True. It was fun when it opened because the animations were simpler, but over the years, WDI has overcomplicated the FX — FX that are frequently broken anyway.

Here’s an idea. Fix the timing so that guests actually hear the Ghost Host when they enter, and so the stretching rooms don’t start before the doors are closed. Those problems are easy to correct.

EricsBiscuit

True. It was fun when it opened because the animations were simpler, but over the years, WDI has overcomplicated the FX — FX that are frequently broken anyway.

Here’s an idea. Fix the timing so that guests actually hear the Ghost Host when they enter, and so the stretching rooms don’t start before the doors are closed. Those problems are easy to correct.
Oh yeah, let’s go backwards in technology. Great idea!

Raineman

I do not have any emotional connection to the pre-2007 refurb HM-I did not ride HM for the first time until 2014. Based on that fact, I love the attraction just the way it is. I would love to see some freshening up, fixing of broken effects, adding Hattie, etc, but no major changes. Besides, any major changes would most likely result in a lengthy refurb (or refurbs) and we don't want HM to turn into Splash Mountain with fairly lengthy refurbs almost every year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom