New enhancements coming to WDW's Haunted Mansion for the 50th anniversary?

Imagineer999

Original Poster
and bring back the big spider

I'm sure we'd still have the spiders if they had kept the man in the web. The original purpose of WDW's Grand Staircase was to be intimidating. You see the poor guy stuck in the web to your left, and to your right is a giant scary spider. Then you turn the corner and encounter ANOTHER spider by surprise.

Dragonman

I remember reading somewhere that someone rescued a few of the original corridor red light covers from the trash after the 07 refurb. I’ve heard the sinister eleven were still functional but they opted not to utilize their function as most are in the load area where guests would linger around and watch them causing traffic issues.

Imagineer999

Original Poster
I remember reading somewhere that someone rescued a few of the original corridor red light covers from the trash after the 07 refurb. I’ve heard the sinister eleven were still functional but they opted not to utilize their function as most are in the load area where guests would linger around and watch them causing traffic issues.

Well it's good to know that someone out there has the red light covers. As for the Sinister 11, yes they were afraid of causing bottlenecks in line so they removed the moving eyes and replaced them with standard flat eyes. I think their excuse to not keep the effect is stupid because Operations causes bottlenecks all the time by stuffing too many people in the stretching rooms. When they leave the room, the load area is so crowded. Also, I think keeping the moving eyes would've given people something neat to look at while waiting in line.

Haymarket2008

My WDW Haunted Mansion wish list:

- make the interactive queue more creepy and less silly. The entire first half of the attraction is supposed to be foreboding. You're not supposed to know that these are good-natured ghosts until you get to the ballroom.
- adjust the timing of Master Gracey's portrait transformation so everyone can see it
- restore the "moving eyes" effect to the Sinister 11 portraits in the Load Area. I doubt they will ever restore the original Portrait Corridor, but getting those stares back would make up for it
- restore the deep red lighting to the Corridor of Doors and the pair of hands prying the last door open
- restore the original attic
- restore the original hitchhiking ghost effect

If they could make those changes, I would be so happy.

All of the above. 👏🏻

trainplane3

- make the interactive queue more creepy and less silly. The entire first half of the attraction is supposed to be foreboding. You're not supposed to know that these are good-natured ghosts until you get to the ballroom.
- adjust the timing of Master Gracey's portrait transformation so everyone can see it
- restore the "moving eyes" effect to the Sinister 11 portraits in the Load Area. I doubt they will ever restore the original Portrait Corridor, but getting those stares back would make up for it
- restore the deep red lighting to the Corridor of Doors and the pair of hands prying the last door open

All of that but adjust the timing of letting guests in. They rush everyone through the main entry way to the stretch room. I've even watched the stretch room start while the doors were still open several times. It's crap and shouldn't happen. It hurts the illusion massively.

Also, take the low orbit ion cannon and obliterate FP+ from HM. I can't believe I had to wait 45 minutes. For a omnimover.

Last edited:

Dragonman

Here’s the original blueprint for the spider scene featuring the man trapped in the web. I believe it was designed so after you’re focused on the man you quickly round the corner and come face to face with the other spider implying you’re next. Although without the man the effect was severely lessened.

You can actually hear his original moaning audio at 4:20 in the recording on this page: https://themeparkuniversity.com/disney/disneys-haunted-mansion-man-spiderweb-real-hoax/

As well as read more about him here:
https://longforgottenhauntedmansion.blogspot.com/2014/09/?m=1

Imagineer999

Original Poster
Here’s the original blueprint for the spider scene featuring the man trapped in the web. I believe it was designed so after you’re focused on the man you quickly round the corner and come face to face with the other spider implying you’re next. Although without the man the effect was severely lessened.
View attachment 385635
View attachment 385636

You can actually hear his original moaning audio at 4:20 in the recording on this page: https://themeparkuniversity.com/disney/disneys-haunted-mansion-man-spiderweb-real-hoax/

As well as read more about him here:
https://longforgottenhauntedmansion.blogspot.com/2014/09/?m=1

It's not his actual moaning. It's unknown what he sounded like. The moaning you hear in that unofficial soundtrack is a stock sound effect from the Internet. My friend created that soundtrack. Most of it uses Mansion sounds and music but there are few sound effects he used that aren't from the Mansion.

Animaniac93-98

Went on the Tokyo Disneyland version 3 times in March and everything on your list was there (minus the interactive queue, it's not there).

We were all rightfully excited by the changes and upgrades in 2007 for WDW's ride, but the current Tokyo attraction proves how good it was beforehand and could have been with all its FX and figures in tip top shape.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom