New Dumbo just the beginning of Circusland?

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Original Poster
Back in the 1975 Disney Productions year end report, it was reported that Disneyland was contemplating an area called "Circusland" (to go where the Fantasyland Theatre currently sits). It would have connected Fantasyland with the infamous Discovery Bay. The '75 report quotes "Circusland", an entirely new "land" to be located on approximately five hitherto undeveloped acres both inside and outside the berm adjacent to "It's A Small World". Here circus banners will herald a wide varity of attractions, including a relocated and elevated Dumbo elephant sky ride: a new Pinocchio dark ride with Stromboli's Little Puppet Theatre gracing its queue line; a whimsical Clown Restaurant, and Mickey's Mad House, a thrilling ride-through themed to the 1930's and the days of glorious black-and-white Mickey Mouse cartoons and ragtime music. However, the highlight of this all-Disney themed area will be "Circus Disney", a major ride-through attraction featuring a myriad of favorite Disney characters, all brought to life throught the "Audio-Animatronics" process. Guests will travel through the wild animal menagerie (featuring King Louie and Shere Khan from "The Jungle Book"); down the midway where familiar Disney stars may be seen in the sideshow, like "The Amazing Flying Dumbo-Ninth Wonder of the World"; through clown alley and finally into the Big Top where they will actually be "on-stage" as part of the three-ring show, featuring such daredevil acts as "The Flying Goofys".

With Dumbo getting moved to its new location (not far from all that land right across the WDWRR tracks), maybe this circus themed area could be the start of something much bigger. While the 1975 project seems ambitious, there are parts of it that could be substituted with other attraction idea's like Casey Jr. (replacing one of the more expensive dark ride concepts) or maybe just built in phases, like the new Fantasyland additions. I would love to see the "Circus Disney" attraction built with the trackless vehicle system that Poohs Huney Hunt in Tokyo uses. It seems that this storyline would be a natural fit for this type of ride system. This whole "Circusland" concept sounds like it would be a clear winner for the MK as it attracts both genders as well as adults, and it could certainly fatten up the attraction roster at the park. What are your thoughts?

Figment632

Back in the 1975 Disney Productions year end report, it was reported that Disneyland was contemplating an area called "Circusland" (to go where the Fantasyland Theatre currently sits). It would have connected Fantasyland with the infamous Discovery Bay. The '75 report quotes "Circusland", an entirely new "land" to be located on approximately five hitherto undeveloped acres both inside and outside the berm adjacent to "It's A Small World". Here circus banners will herald a wide varity of attractions, including a relocated and elevated Dumbo elephant sky ride: a new Pinocchio dark ride with Stromboli's Little Puppet Theatre gracing its queue line; a whimsical Clown Restaurant, and Mickey's Mad House, a thrilling ride-through themed to the 1930's and the days of glorious black-and-white Mickey Mouse cartoons and ragtime music. However, the highlight of this all-Disney themed area will be "Circus Disney", a major ride-through attraction featuring a myriad of favorite Disney characters, all brought to life throught the "Audio-Animatronics" process. Guests will travel through the wild animal menagerie (featuring King Louie and Shere Khan from "The Jungle Book"); down the midway where familiar Disney stars may be seen in the sideshow, like "The Amazing Flying Dumbo-Ninth Wonder of the World"; through clown alley and finally into the Big Top where they will actually be "on-stage" as part of the three-ring show, featuring such daredevil acts as "The Flying Goofys".
This would be amazing!!!

Phase 2 has a rumored all new Casey JR ride, that's all I've read here.

Disney shouldnt be building rides like this anymore.

I'm all for Circus Land! But I'm not liking the idea of Jungle Book and Tarzan characters showing up there. That just seems like something that could happen!

tirian

A Mickey's Mad House attraction would be incredible! Mickey and the gang technically belong to the same era as Dumbo; they would fit in just fine. It wouldn't even need to be expensive—a Peter-Pan-level dark ride would be acceptable.

Wow, my armchair Imagineering brain is kicking into high gear. Too bad this is all just wishful thinking. :(

No, Dumbo is not the beginning of Circusland. It's just Dumbo for now. But I really wish we'd get a Mickey's Mad House!

Edit: The Goofy's Barnstormer retheme is reportedly undecided for now.

Figment632

Why not? It'd be a whole new take on the ride not seen anywhere else. The newest one in DLP looks very smooth and picks up a bit of speed.

Never been to DLP but I rode that and Storybook Canals in DL this May. It's not Iconic like the Dumbo spinner Disney should not be going that far backwards.

This is my opinion and I have no way to prove it but Walt was constantly changing the parks and unlike the Iconic dark rides if Walt was still around I think both of these attractions would be gone.

Now if we are talking taking these rides to the next level with some ground breaking tech I'll start pouring the foundation myself.

I doubt Casey (he he thats my first name) will be coming to FL because they are already building a stationary one.

EPCOT Explorer

Never been to DLP but I rode that and Storybook Canals in DL this May. It's not Iconic like the Dumbo spinner Disney should not be going that far backwards.

This is my opinion and I have no way to prove it but Walt was constantly changing the parks and unlike the Iconic dark rides if Walt was still around I think both of these attractions would be gone.

Now if we are talking taking these rides to the next level with some ground breaking tech I'll start pouring the foundation myself.

I doubt Casey (he he thats my first name) will be coming to FL because they are already building a stationary one.

Art can always change....

(and I really wish that they would build him!:eek:

Casey Junior

In the concept art for Dumbo there is a train pictured...

It's on the left hand side, visible through the carousel canopy support.

Is this a clue or am I just studying this photo way to hard?

DizFanatic

Did anybody notice that Dumbo in the concept art is shown in a different place than on the "leaked" site plan? If the concept art is correct, then what goes where Toontown Fair is? My gut feeling is the site plan is the correct one.
http://dizfanatic.com/Fantasyland_Makeover.aspx

I must add - this concept art is some of the most gorgeous I've seen. There's some real talent there. Walt would be proud. :sohappy:

We should get the Festival of Fools parade hosted by Cloplin.
That's a very good idea! Getting the Hunchback characters back into the parks is a great idea. They'd fit in near the Beauty and the Beast area -- maybe have the parade start there and then end in Circusland?

The Conundrum

For those of you wondering about the stationary train in the artwork, Eric Jacobson responded to it with smiles. He says not to take all this concept art too literally since alot of artistic license was used. There are plans for a Casey Jr. attraction but it is bluesky right now.

What disturbs me is that he said that Dumbo's Circus was basically a kids play area while the adults sit on bleachers. Isn't that the opposite of what Walt Disney wanted??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom