New Disney series 'Behind the Attraction' will go behind-the-curtain at some of Disney's most famous attractions

Prince John

I only had time to watch the first episode (Jungle Cruise) last night. Loved it. Loved the old-school Walt footage, all the behind the scenes and skipper interviews. If I have any complaints, it would be I wish they showed a bit more of some of the international versions of the ride than what they did. But still, great show. I can't wait to watch HM tonight.

Prince John

I only had time to watch the first episode (Jungle Cruise) last night. Loved it. Loved the old-school Walt footage, all the behind the scenes and skipper interviews. If I have any complaints, it would be I wish they showed a bit more of some of the international versions of the ride than what they did. But still, great show. I can't wait to watch HM tonight.
One more thing to add. I lose some points as a Disney "fan" with this, but I never knew until watching the JC episode that the attraction originated with a serious, no joke/pun script by the skipper. I always thought the corny jokes were tradition since opening.

tired_photog

I was a little disappointed in the Space Mountain episode. I was hoping for more “lights on” behind the scenes rare access kind of stuff. Instead it just focused on the backstory of the ride which I was already quite familiar with. Overall the episode was just ok.

yensidtlaw1969

Just finished the first 3 Episodes - I think I was hoping for (and maybe expecting?) something a little more reverent, in the vein of The Imagineering Story . . . this is much more tongue-in-cheek, and isn't quite hitting the mark for me.

I didn't really expect to be learning tons of new stuff, since most of us here are deep-dive Super Fans who have been studying these things for years, but there's something about it that feels a little bit like a Middle School book report by a student who thinks they're really funny. The focus feels like it's in the wrong place.

More than anything I think I had hoped they would be showcasing new art or footage of beloved attractions, but it feels like a lot of clips we've seen before, packaged with a bunch of quick cuts of Imagineers dropping generally well-known tidbits, wrapped in some weird, flippant narration. I've seen better on Youtube.

I'm sure I'll still watch the whole thing - it's not BAD, but I had hoped for something more exciting. @marni1971 should have gotten the call for this - given the money and the resources, THAT show would have been 100 times better.

Prince John

Just finished the first 3 Episodes - I think I was hoping for (and maybe expecting?) something a little more reverent, in the vein of The Imagineering Story . . . this is much more tongue-in-cheek, and isn't quite hitting the mark for me.

I didn't really expect to be learning tons of new stuff, since most of us here are deep-dive Super Fans who have been studying these things for years, but there's something about it that feels a little bit like a Middle School book report by a student who thinks they're really funny. The focus feels like it's in the wrong place.

More than anything I think I had hoped they would be showcasing new art or footage of beloved attractions, but it feels like a lot of clips we've seen before, packaged with a bunch of quick cuts of Imagineers dropping generally well-known tidbits, wrapped in some weird, flippant narration. I've seen better on Youtube.

I'm sure I'll still watch the whole thing - it's not BAD, but I had hoped for something more exciting. @marni1971 should have gotten the call for this - given the money and the resources, THAT show would have been 100 times better.
I think they were aiming more for a broader audience with mild/average knowledge of the parks and their history, rather than the more rare "Super Fans" you find on discussion forums. We make a small minority, and would probably make the show fall flat on such a wide platform as Disney+.

Having an internet "Super Fan" as host would also be a poor choice, imo, as it would most likely be pretentious in delivery. I think they did it well enough given the audience targeted. Keep in mind though, I've only seen Episode 1, The Jungle Cruise, so we'll see how the others go...

tanc

I watched most of them, really interesting. I think it would have been cool if they made one of Pirates of the Caribbean...

Really sad that I guess Splash would never be able to be shown the creation of.

doctornick

I watched most of them, really interesting. I think it would have been cool if they made one of Pirates of the Caribbean...

There's tons of options for a season 2 and POTC would almost certainly be there.

Obviously, it would depend on the ratings (how often it is viewed) but this certainly seems tailor made for an ongoing series given how it is such a cross-pollination of Disney, IP, parks and even sometimes movies thrown in. Seems like it would be Chapek's wet dream.

yensidtlaw1969

I think they were aiming more for a broader audience with mild/average knowledge of the parks and their history, rather than the more rare "Super Fans" you find on discussion forums. We make a small minority, and would probably make the show fall flat on such a wide platform as Disney+.

Having an internet "Super Fan" as host would also be a poor choice, imo, as it would most likely be pretentious in delivery. I think they did it well enough given the audience targeted. Keep in mind though, I've only seen Episode 1, The Jungle Cruise, so we'll see how the others go...
Like I said in my post, that's what I figured they were aiming for - which is why I didn't expect to learn new info from the show.

But I do think it's a little TOO unserious. That narrator's schitck wears out its welcome FAST. The topic is so massively interesting and fun to begin with, why on earth is it written like they've got to be mugging to the audience to keep them engaged? The Imagineering Story got it right in this regard, and worked for both the casual fan AND the Super Fans.

My reference to @marni1971 was less about him hosting, specifically (though *I* wouldn't complain) and more about him having creative control of the project. There's nothing pretentious about any of his videos, they're much more informative, a much deeper dive into history and creative process, and came together with none of the resources Disney put towards this show. Giving someone like him control of the wheel seems like it would easily result in a show that's passionate, interesting, informative, and not hamstrung by kooky narrative antics.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

I preferred Imagineering Story. This one got too political behind the scenes and it shows.

Prince John

2 episodes in. I thought HM did a much better job showing the international versions of the ride, and their concepts, stories, histories, than the JC episode did. Most of the backstories of this amazing attraction I already knew, but still liked the take on it during this episode. I wish they touched a little more on Walt's vision for the ride prior to his passing, though maybe there wasn't more knowledge of that to show.

I've enjoyed the first two on JC and HM, but can't say I'm too excited for a full episode on a motion simulator next (Star Tours). Will still watch it just to check it off the list.

dsinclair

There's tons of options for a season 2 and POTC would almost certainly be there.

Obviously, it would depend on the ratings (how often it is viewed) but this certainly seems tailor made for an ongoing series given how it is such a cross-pollination of Disney, IP, parks and even sometimes movies thrown in. Seems like it would be Chapek's wet dream.
FYI, there are another 5 being released later this year to cap off season 1.
bta.PNG

Sir_Cliff

But I do think it's a little TOO unserious. That narrator's schitck wears out its welcome FAST. The topic is so massively interesting and fun to begin with, why on earth is it written like they've got to be mugging to the audience to keep them engaged? The Imagineering Story got it right in this regard, and worked for both the casual fan AND the Super Fans.
I completely agree. Only made it through the first episode so far, and I honestly struggled to stick with it as I found the narration quite irritating. Feels like a wasted opportunity to me considering all the footage and interviews they have and I'm not sure I'll keep watching, to be honest. While The Imagineering Story seemed aimed at fans of the parks, the tone and content of this seems more meant for kids/families who may just have a casual interest in the theme parks.

BrianLo

I've now watched all 5 episodes and ended up liking it quite a bit. Looking forward to the next 5.

While not as good as the first 4 episodes of The Imagineering Story, it's certainly better than the last 2 of that series.

I watched the HM first (and now the Tower of Terror one). I found the style of the narration and editing very off-putting for the first half episode I watched. Almost like a TLC special instead of expecting more Imagineering Story Documentary style... Something made to grab your attention if you are channel surfing.

Then the jokes and quick cuts start to land more and I actually started to see what they were going for. By the end of the episode I was chuckling and enjoying it. The call back jokes work.

Plus it leans in to allowing some tongue in cheek commentary and Imagineers are almost sort of encouraged to roll their eyes. They are thus allowed to get in some cheap shots at some of the "read between the lines" not-great decision making.

I'd really like more Imagineering Story, but I'm equally happy this has found its niche.

JohnD

I noticed that Dwayne Johnson is Executive Producer for the whole series. I guess he decided to go for a lighthearted tone.

JohnD

Really sad that I guess Splash would never be able to be shown the creation of.

We don't know if the five episodes currently streaming are the whole series or just the first five episodes released at once.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom