"New" Disney Magic vs Disney Dream Trip Questions

Mouse's Magic

Original Poster
Hey everyone! So this is VERY last minute, but with the good old tax refund we got back, the newly married wife and I are looking to do a last minute Disney Cruise. We both took of April 30th - May 5th to go to Disneyland, but we found out yesterday that we wont be able to go to Disneyland...long story haha.

Moving forward, we are thinking of doing a Disney Cruise now. We would love to do the 4 night cruise but since we weren't originally planning on doing a cruise, the time we got off from work and the 4 night cruises do not coincide. We can however do a 3 night cruise. My wife has NEVER done ANY cruise, so maybe a nice little 3 night cruise would be a good start. So without anymore rambling, here are my questions...

1) Would you suggest a 3 NIGHT CRUISE on the DISNEY DREAM (Leaving May 1st) with stops at Nassau and Castaway Cay OR a 3 NIGHT CRUISE on the DISNEY MAGIC (leaving May 2nd) with a day at sea and Castaway Cay?

**We have both been to nassau before (not when we were together) so we probably woundnt event get off the ship in Nassau if we chose the DISNEY DREAM.***

2) Since there is only 3 nights, and there are 3 live stage shows, is there still a pirate party? I did a 4 night Disney cruise in college and if I remember correctly, there were 3 live shows and a pirate party that each took up one night. So if there are still 3 live shows plus a pirate party but only 3 nights, what happens? Do they remove one of the live theater shows?

3) The new show at Animators Palate on the DISNEY MAGIC called "Drawn to Magic" looks great! But is it worth it to go to the "older" ship (compared to the DREAM) just for that?

4) What slide is better? The "Aqua-Duct" on the DREAM or the "Aqua-dunk" on the MAGIC?

5) Overall, with prices being about the same for both ships, which ship do you think a young married couple would enjoy better? (Taking in restaurants, shows, nighttime districts, etc.)

Thanks soooo much everyone. Have a great day!

Tom

Beta Return
1) Dream...and stay on the ship on Nassau day

2) Yup, still a Pirate Party. It's between and after dinner/show times, so you don't miss anything.

3) haven't done Magic's dinner show but I would still sail on the Dream

4) Also haven't been in Magic's Dunk, but Duck is pretty cool on Dream

5) Cant answer this, as I've only sailed on the two new ships....but you can't go wrong with any Disney ship. My vote would be for Dream though.

Have fun!

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I have only sailed the Fantasy but I would vote for the Dream. The adult areas seem to be better on the newer ships, even with the Magic being overhauled.

The new Magic looks pretty cool but I would not pass up an opportunity to sail on the Dream for your wife's first cruise.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
5) Overall, with prices being about the same for both ships, which ship do you think a young married couple would enjoy better? (Taking in restaurants, shows, nighttime districts, etc.)

Thanks soooo much everyone. Have a great day!

Pirates in the Caribbean night on Dream IIRC from December is the Villains Tonight show. Pretty much once the show is over you have a window of around a half hour to BS before headed to deck (assuming you choose early dining).

I cannot say which is better for a young married couple but I can say being in my 20s as well as the lady (who had done 12+ cruises but never on DCL until last Winter) we enjoyed Dream 3 night thoroughly. If prices are comparable I would choose Dream in a heart beat just because I have done it and know the ship offers so much. Nassau day we went out to buy some stuff and went right back onboard. We are booked on MAGIC for a seven night as our next though. On that note, it was not the taking in the restaurants, the clubs, or any of that that we enjoyed. Exploring such a large boat was purely worth it on its own. Midship detectives was a great way to throw yourself into different areas of the boat to explore, otherwise we would not have seen as much as we did.

Last edited:

MaryJaneP

Pirates night was after the last show on both DCL cruises we were on. We have been on the old Magic and the new Fantasy so all comparisons are based upon those trips. We did not think there was a big restaurant difference between the two, even with the larger sizes and different themes on the Fantasy, we liked both very much. Rooms also seemed the same. We did aquaduck and liked it. We have not done the aquadunk. We liked the layout of the Magic ever so slightly better than the Fantasy, but both were phenomenal. We have followed the re-imagining on the Magic and the layout seems great. We would choose the Magic ourselves to see what has changed as a before and after comparison. However, for a young couple with no prior DCL history, we would choose the Dream because it is exciting to be on one of the newer bigger ships. Especially if the cost is the same. We would also stay on ship in Nassau.

sweetpee_1993

Knowing what I know, I favor the smaller ship. Waaaaay less people on Castaway Cay day is a very nice thing. ;)

You can't go wrong either way. Both are fabulous ships with equal numbers of pros & cons.

Brian & Jill

No matter what ship you decide to go on you and your wife will have fun.;) Like you and your wife it is only me and my wife and this will be our 4th cruise with Disney on May 3rd and we always have a blast.

sring

I agree with @sweetpee_1993, though I have not been on Dream or Fantasy so I really can't make the comparison. I prefer the smaller ships.

In speaking with a cast member on Castaway Cay on my mid-February trip, he said that days that Magic and Wonder are in are much more relaxed and easier to book port adventures at the last minute (though the cabanas sell out quickly and in advance).

Yes they still do the Pirates in the Caribbean party and fireworks on Magic on the 3-night sailing...ours was on the 2nd night after the late show/dinner seating. And there are 3 shows.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Touch choice...

For the magic..
- its the newest to checkout
- skipping nassau is fine.. but the boat will have more going on if it's at sea vs moored in port. On a short 3 night cruise, I'd try to get as much ship time as possible
- many prefer the smaller ships, and the latest rehab makes it even more attractive

For the dream..
- aquaduck is better
- more adult space on ship

If it were 3 vs 4night... I think the choice would be easy. If you've already done the dream.. you may pick the magic just to have something new to explore.

MaryMcMagic

Being the young couple you are, I'm leaning toward the Disney Dream. The adult area, The District, is great for adult fun with a great variety of lounges and nightclubs to choose from. Either way, you'll have a vacation second to none. Enjoy!

shoppingnut

I have been on both the Dream and the Magic, although not the refurbed version of the Magic, but of the two I think the Dream's adult areas are better by virtue of it being a larger ship. Having dinner at Palo on either of the ships I would highly recommend. Remy is great too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom