New Discount? Disney+ subscribers only

Schweino

Original Poster
When I saw the thread title, that's the first thing that hit me -- unless you're OK with a small screen, or cast/wire your phone/pad/laptop to a TV in the room, you can't watch it while you're there*.

*Other than the "taste" they give away - the looping presentation you can't change.
The only thing I can think of for why they haven't done this is because their wifi really does suck. Since you can't hardwire D+, that would be a major strain on an already crappy wifi.

Upvote 0

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Buyer beware. I just priced a weekend in September that I'd looked at a week ago just out of curiosity.

Disney appears to have jacked up the rates in the interim, such that the 25% "discount" is more like a savings of about $50/night over last week's rates, at least for the 3 particular deluxe rooms I looked at...obviously there might be better deals for some of the other rooms, but I'm not seriously planning a trip, so I didn't bother to price out other combinations.

"MAGIC!!!"

Reminds me of Black Friday deals. You can get many items cheaper throughout the year, but since it's Black Friday, people assume that the deals are A) Good, and B) Some kind of one-time event. In this case, increase the rates from previously advertised rates just in time to offer the "up to 25% discount".

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Buyer beware. I just priced a weekend in September that I'd looked at a week ago just out of curiosity.

Disney appears to have jacked up the rates in the interim, such that the 25% "discount" is more like a savings of about $50/night over last week's rates, at least for the 3 particular deluxe rooms I looked at...obviously there might be better deals for some of the other rooms, but I'm not seriously planning a trip, so I didn't bother to price out other combinations.
???

That would be very surprising. I don't think Disney has ever changed rack rates within a year once they're initially published.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Slightly off topic, but is it true that Disney does NOT offer Disney+ in their hotel rooms? I haven't been since Disney+ went live. I figured it would be no brainer to give guests a taste while on vacation to stay in the mood and then hopefully net some more subscribers with little downside on their end. I don't know if any of those room TVs are "smart TVs" so perhaps there are some infrastructure barriers.
1649184096944.png

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No

I've actually experienced the opposite.
POP had been up to like $206 rack rate for a standard room until a week ago when I was seriously starting to price things out and I noticed its a much more reasonable $171 rack rate for a standard room.
With this discount its $145 which a few years ago is what the rack rate used to be.
I understand prices are crazy compared to say 2018 but I also understand prices for everything are.

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Slightly off topic, but is it true that Disney does NOT offer Disney+ in their hotel rooms? I haven't been since Disney+ went live. I figured it would be no brainer to give guests a taste while on vacation to stay in the mood and then hopefully net some more subscribers with little downside on their end. I don't know if any of those room TVs are "smart TVs" so perhaps there are some infrastructure barriers.
If you’re in your room…you’re not buying stuff

Tale as old as time

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

???

That would be very surprising. I don't think Disney has ever changed rack rates within a year once they're initially published.
I realize it sounds wild. I don't have screenshots to prove it, but I did write down the rates when I priced them last week, and then checked them for the same dates/party/hotels today, and my notes are showing very small savings under the current promotion.

I will say that what I was focusing on was the rack rates for 1 and 2-bedroom villas: it's entirely possible that I'm misconstruing the new totals, and that rather than inflating the rack rates, Disney simply decided to dial back the discount rate when it came to those larger, more expensive rooms. When I priced out the "discounted" rooms I was only looking to confirm that the promotion applied, and then comparing the total cost to last week's total cost (when, to be thorough, I should also have looked at what Disney said was the rack rate that was being discounted, and then calculated what the actual savings percentage was).

In other words, I have no reason to doubt my notes, so I'm pretty sure I'm right about the discount not saving much for the particular rooms I looked at last week. However, I may have misread the evidence in saying Disney had jacked up the rack rates to get there: it's possible they just reduced the discount.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MotherofaPrincessLover

I realize it sounds wild. I don't have screenshots to prove it, but I did write down the rates when I priced them last week, and then checked them for the same dates/party/hotels today, and my notes are showing very small savings under the current promotion.

I will say that what I was focusing on was the rack rates for 1 and 2-bedroom villas: it's entirely possible that I'm misconstruing the new totals, and that rather than inflating the rack rates, Disney simply decided to dial back the discount rate when it came to those larger, more expensive rooms. When I priced out the "discounted" rooms I was only looking to confirm that the promotion applied, and then comparing the total cost to last week's total cost (when, to be thorough, I should also have looked at what Disney said was the rack rate that was being discounted, and then calculated what the actual savings percentage was).

In other words, I have no reason to doubt my notes, so I'm pretty sure I'm right about the discount not saving much for the particular rooms I looked at last week. However, I may have misread the evidence in saying Disney had jacked up the rack rates to get there: it's possible they just reduced the discount.
There are rooms that the discount is only 10%. I need a hotel for the night before a cruise so I was leaning toward trying Caribbean Beach out - that resort only had a 10% discount so I went with Yacht which had a 25% discount.

Upvote 0

Armerius

i have a reservation for those days..and my account is associated with disney+. how can i apply the offer to my reservation?

and if i have to talk to them directly..is there a way to write them or just by calling? thanks,

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
i have a reservation for those days..and my account is associated with disney+. how can i apply the offer to my reservation?

and if i have to talk to them directly..is there a way to write them or just by calling? thanks,

You would have to go to modify reservation.
It may not allow you to modify to the discount though and you may actually have took a new reservation.

Upvote 0
Please speculate wildly.. Is there any chance this promotion would later get expanded for Q4 2022 (calendar year) stays as well or does Disney not have problems booking rooms during that time?

Upvote 0

G00fyDad

Please speculate wildly.. Is there any chance this promotion would later get expanded for Q4 2022 (calendar year) stays as well or does Disney not have problems booking rooms during that time?

There might be a discount but nobody really knows yet. I would expect something though.

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s always possible. A lot of factors go into these things

They have very strong business in the fall…but neither we - or really they - can safely predict the economic conditions 6 months from now.

Upvote 0

Schweino

Original Poster
There might be a discount but nobody really knows yet. I would expect something though.

^^This. Historically, they've always done 'something'. Though I am having reservations about it this year. There is a part of me that thinks when they do announce dining plan return, their Q4 bookings are going to jet up, reducing the need for a discount (at least a wide spread one).

I can say we have POFQ River View booked for 12/3-12/10. I can no longer book that room choice for that long of a period - no availability.

Upvote 0

G00fyDad

^^This. Historically, they've always done 'something'. Though I am having reservations about it this year. There is a part of me that thinks when they do announce dining plan return, their Q4 bookings are going to jet up, reducing the need for a discount (at least a wide spread one).

I can say we have POFQ River View booked for 12/3-12/10. I can no longer book that room choice for that long of a period - no availability.

Then I hope they do not bring back the DDP. I have not used the DDP in 15 years and I am not likely to use it again. We use an Excel spreadsheet that I can use to calculate all of our potential meals (it adds the tax and gratuity too) and it can tell me if out of pocket is better than the DDP. It has been cheaper (by A LOT) to pay out of pocket over the past 15 years. Disney sells the DDP to people that do not care, those who actually come out ahead with the DDP, or those that do not bother to do the math and do not know they are paying more.

Either way I still think they will have something for a discount in Q4.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom