New DHS Area Resort? Star Wars Resort?

P_Radden

Original Poster
Now that Disney is expanding Hollywood Studios with the new Star Wars Land and other projects, what is the possibility we will see a new Disney World hotel resort located in one of the areas marked purple below:
SWresort1.jpg

If Star Wars Land along with the new movies prove to be a success do you think we could see Disney build a Star Wars themed resort?

PhotoDave219

Now that Disney is expanding Hollywood Studios with the new Star Wars Land and other projects, what is the possibility we will see a new Disney World hotel resort located in one of the areas marked purple below:
View attachment 142053

If Star Wars Land along with the new movies prove to be a success do you think we could see Disney build a Star Wars themed resort?

I'd like to see what @danlb_2000 has to say in regards to whether or not that land could even be built upon before I put forth an opinion on that proposed location.

The premise is solid IMO, a SW themed resort would do well IMO.

roj2323

I'd like to see what @danlb_2000 has to say in regards to whether or not that land could even be built upon before I put forth an opinion on that proposed location.

The only problem with a SW resort is it would be too popular especially if they did it up right and themed everything and not just the lobby and corridors.

here's the old map but my understanding is the conservation areas been heavily modified since this map was produced. I'm trying to find the new one but I'm not having much luck.

WDW-RCID.jpg

http://www.rcid.org/doing-business/planning-development/2020-comp-plan/

Last edited:

roj2323

According to the permits filed for the fill work on the park side of the canal it's still listed as wetlands.

I am going to use this thread to track the major permits for the DHS Redevelopment.

10/26/2015 – SFMWD - 151026-6 (L402 Basin)

Description: Construction of 38.01 acre storm water pond west of World Drive, parking expansion, entrance ramp from Osceola Parkway, construction access road from World Drive to Cypress Dr.

Dates or Work: January 2016 and be complete in October 2018

Documents:

Application: http://my.sfwmd.gov/entsb/docdownload?object_id=0900eeea88b1fb88
Engineering Report: http://my.sfwmd.gov/entsb/docdownload?object_id=0900eeea88b1fbec
Plans: http://my.sfwmd.gov/entsb/docdownload?object_id=0900eeea88b1fc05

Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 1.49.53 AM.png

mm121

while the idea of a star wars hotel would be super cool

like @roj2323 said it would be super popular, not that thats a bad thing, just something that has to be taken into consideration

at the current point the land the OP circled is considered wetlands, and the only reason to build a sw hotel right next to the park would be if there was a direct entrance into star wars land somehow otherwise it could go in lots of other places on property

danlb_2000

Premium Member

A permit was filed two weeks ago to release that land, as well as some other plots, from the conservation easement. This indicates to me that they have a desire to eventually use that land for something. Doesn't mean there are firm plans, but there is enough room for a resort if they wanted to.

Wetland Use Expansion Permit

danlb_2000

Premium Member
View attachment 142053

I brought this up in another thread and think it's possible. You can also extend that top section all the way to Buena Vista Dr. That line cutting through the land is just a minimally used dirt access road.

PhotoDave219

A permit was filed two weeks ago to release that land, as well as some other plots, from the conservation easement. This indicates to me that they have a desire to eventually use that land for something. Doesn't mean there are firm plans, but there is enough room for a resort if they wanted to.

Wetland Use Expansion Permit

Yeah, that was what i was wondering, whether it was part of the conservation easement. Thankfully you have this stuff handy

jt04

Absolute hands down NO to a Star Wars hotel. Hotels shouldn't be based on IP's. Shanghai's Toy Story Hotel looks pretty bad, imho. Disney hotels are successful when they are not tied to existing property.

I agree. Although a small boutique hotel could be viable. The most popular resorts are not branded.

KrazyKat

They could build a new resort like I suggested in another thread based on different themes from lands in the future DHS. Build it to the south of where Star Wars is going. Just have the back of the resort themed to Star Wars so it blends in with Star Wars Land which would make SWL that much more expansive. Someone else suggested even having a SW themed mini transport from the resort to SWL.

Haymarket2008

Art of Animation may be popular, but it's garish and lacks any warmth. If they're going to build a hotel to compliment the "new" park (a la Animal Kingdom Lodge) make it classy/old Hollywood. Not something with ugly, huge statues of Buzz Lightyear or an AT-AT as "decoration". That is beneath the quality expected from a Disney World hotel.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Art of Animation may be popular, but it's garish and lacks any warmth. If they're going to build a hotel to compliment the "new" park (a la Animal Kingdom Lodge) make it classy/old Hollywood. Not something with ugly, huge statues of Buzz Lightyear or an AT-AT as "decoration". That is beneath the quality expected from a Disney World hotel.

AoA is also super fun and great for families. Nice pools, food court and great space in the suites. Best value resort there is.

If they were to do Star Wars anything, I'm thinking it would fall into the moderate category (considering the location of the land near DHS) and have subtle touches of Star Wars. IMO.

P_Radden

Original Poster
The only problem with a SW resort is it would be too popular especially if they did it up right and themed everything and not just the lobby and corridors.

here's the old map but my understanding is the conservation areas been heavily modified since this map was produced. I'm trying to find the new one but I'm not having much luck.

WDW-RCID.jpg

http://www.rcid.org/doing-business/planning-development/2020-comp-plan/

@danlb_2000 do you have a newer, current version of this map?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom