New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Vegas Disney Fan

I keep wanting to mention this to you... A friend is dealing with the not being approved for DAS, after having purchased an AP for WDW, was told that they can prorate refunds for APs. It's based on the number of days you have used the pass. So it might be worth a call to Disneyland to find out if you are eligible.
We have a RunDisney event at DL in September so we still have use of it this year, we are unlikely to do anymore RunDisney events after this year as a result of the DAS changes also though, the Disney parks will probably lose $15k a year from us, chump change to a multi billion dollar company, but a substantial amount to us that we’ll now be spending elsewhere.

Vegas Disney Fan

Do you honestly think that there are that many people with DAS that it would lead to the problems you are describing? I don't think so. If that many people with DAS were in the parks now, the standby lines would never move.
I do, the numbers reported here are that 8% of guests use DAS, and potentially as many as 35% of all guests indirectly use it as part of a DAS party, this has been given as the primary reason the Genie lines are so long and the standby lines move so slow. Assuming those numbers are accurate my guess is they’d need to reduce that by 50% or more to make a substantial enough difference to make it functional. We’ll never see the real numbers so it’s all guesswork.

TrojanUSC

I do, the numbers reported here are that 8% of guests use DAS, and potentially as many as 35% of all guests indirectly use it as part of a DAS party, this has been given as the primary reason the Genie lines are so long and the standby lines move so slow. Assuming those numbers are accurate my guess is they’d need to reduce that by 50% or more to make a substantial enough difference to make it functional. We’ll never see the real numbers so it’s all guesswork.

The LLs at the headliners are 60%+ DAS.

This poster is really underestimating the amount of people with DAS, along with the sheer number of people who claim to need it but could easily be accommodated in other ways. Not to mention the outright liars and abusers.

C33Mom

Im caught. Im a divorced dad celebrating fathers day with my daughter in disney for a vacation & decided to make up this story and come to wdwmagic to spread lies. Smh. GR in HS is quite small. I was there for about 10 minutes there were 5 people that were in there during my time and 4 were in their expressing their concern over the new “rules”…. Like mature adults NOT entitled a h*les trying to get some clarity on how they need to proceed during their next trip to HS during their own vacation…
Wanted to apologize for assuming you were a woman and fwiw, say that I believe you weren’t coming here trying to spread lies or panic…but there are a lot of people in the disability (and DAS influencer) community trying to do just that, which is horrible if it discourages people from trying a new system that will actually work for their family. I assumed you were deliberately fear-mongering when you referred to a staggering number of people queued up to complain about alternative accommodations— which implied (to me) that there were dozens of exhausted ex-DAS users lining up to explain why the AQR based system didn’t work for them. I do think some may have been seeking DAS, but it was unfair of me to suggest that the handful of confused folks were trying to bully their way into unnecessary accommodations or acting in any way inappropriate.

I’ve seen a lot of people frustrated that there isn’t consistency between rides or a chart outlining the accommodation available at each ride (or allegedly inconsistency at specific rides) and suggesting cast members aren’t well trained, but we also don’t know if other factors such as queue length or recent breakdowns or a group’s DAS use history might account for the difference. The first obvious example that comes to mind is that if someone says [condition] makes it impossible to wait in long lines, but the line is currently at or very near the merge point, they might tell you to get in the line and get out if there’s a problem, but if the line is already at the 60m mark, they might say “OK, do you want to try it together and use AQR if necessary or do you want a one person rider switch?”

This conversation is starting to feel less about ensuring accommodations for those who need them and more about ensuring DAS for people who've gotten used to it.

Touring the parks with your only options being G+ and regular standby is pretty unappealing for all guests, especially those with disabilities. For many, this has been our only option for several years.

KrzyKtty

What is this based on?

Please provide a case in state or federal court where any company was required to provide unlimited access to an unlimited number of people.

As one example, please explain how Disney is violating any law by not having an unlimited amount of accessible seating during every performance of the American Adventure in EPCOT.

Please explain how Disney would be prohibited by improving the guest experience for everyone by limiting the amount of people who could use DAS on a given day. Please provide a court case, not just your opinion. I certainly respect your opinion, but random opinions are not law.
I know I am coming into this discussion late because I was sleeping when most of this was going on. But it seems a bit like you came on this purposefully trying to stir up trouble. Every Rebuttal post is slightly antagonistic with an air of Requiring overwhelming proof without providing any in return.

I'm not entirely sure what the point of the original post was. Disney didn't ask for your opinion or my opinion. These hypothetical maybe's aren't exactly hopeful to people trying to figure out the current system. What is the point in posting a system that doesn't exist and then argue with people that don't agree if it would work or not?

TrainsOfDisney

I'm not entirely sure what the point of the original post was. Disney didn't ask for your opinion or my opinion. These hypothetical maybe's aren't exactly hopeful to people trying to figure out the current system.
he’s discussing other possibilities for the DAS system - certainly on topic. I had thought about some of the same ideas but the problem is it just gets more confusing for guests.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
I thought their park policy was that children had to be 14 to be unattended in parks.
Kids under 7 must be accompanied by someone at least 14 years old to ride an attraction.

7 year olds and up may ride or attend an attraction alone. (That’s the minimum, not suggestion)

To enter the parks is different. All kids under 14 must be accompanied by someone at least 14yo.

As for the bad PR, how do these new changes compare with the changes in 2013? The difference then was the removal of front-of-the-line access. The changes now involve complete removal of access to the DAS system.
This decade of DAS use already had large populations of people with disabilities/challenges removed because alternate accommodations were created for those needs. This latest change is no different than that expansion. Not getting DAS is not the same as not getting accommodation(s). It’s not removal of accommodations, it’s switching to more accommodations outside DAS.

DisneyHead123

Kids under 7 must be accompanied by someone at least 14 years old to ride an attraction.

7 year olds and up may ride or attend an attraction alone. (That’s the minimum, not suggestion)

To enter the parks is different. All kids under 14 must be accompanied by someone at least 14yo.
Thanks… asked the original question because I would be very upset if Disney was asking 11-year-olds to stand alone in lines to accommodate a disabled family member. But I wasn’t sure if the poster was spitballing an example for the point of saying the inconsistency is frustrating, or if this is happening.

jennab55

What’s the age limit then? If it’s ok that a family be asked to split up - when is ok or not ok? 15? 18? Or are we going by how old they look? Height?
I personally think 7 is quite young to stand in line alone, but I’m sure other parents think it’s fine. It’s ok for Disney to put an age out there, but they shouldn’t make the decision for a parent. Some 12yr olds may be fine waiting in an hour line alone whereas others would not be. OR some parents may not be ok with their 12yr old waiting alone for an hour with a bunch of strangers at a theme park. I wouldn’t be.

TrainsOfDisney

It’s ok for Disney to put an age out there, but they shouldn’t make the decision for a parent.
Agreed. My question was based on the idea that Disney wants families to split up when using the RTQ option. So where is the age limit where it is appropriate or not?

Or do we just leave that up to the college intern to decide cause that’s a good idea.

Angel Ariel

What’s the age limit then? If it’s ok that a family be asked to split up - when is ok or not ok? 15? 18? Or are we going by how old they look? Height?
It shouldn't be based on age, but on need - as it should be for all disability accommodations. Those with developmental disabilities could be 20 years old and not be able to be in line alone .

jennab55

Agreed. My question was based on the idea that Disney wants families to split up when using the RTQ option. So where is the age limit where it is appropriate or not?

Or do we just leave that up to the college intern to decide cause that’s a good idea.
Personally I don’t think they should force it on any minor children (so under 18). I’m assuming the person waiting in line is not disabled. Of course a parent could decide that a 15yr old would be perfectly fine and let them, but if a parent stated this will not work for them because their child would not be comfortable waiting in a line alone with strangers, that should be taken into consideration. Not all kids are the same.

Kingoglow

he’s discussing other possibilities for the DAS system - certainly on topic. I had thought about some of the same ideas but the problem is it just gets more confusing for guests.
No, that poster was simply suggesting to keep DAS as in in full but add a hoop for users to jump through via the third-party service. There was no other possibility suggested. Just keep it as is.

Figgy1

This conversation is starting to feel less about ensuring accommodations for those who need them and more about ensuring DAS for people who've gotten used to it.

Touring the parks with your only options being G+ and regular standby is pretty unappealing for all guests, especially those with disabilities. For many, this has been our only option for several years.
Without providing a roadmap to cheating at least 2 of us have family members with severe disabilities which should qualify under the new rules but are worried about not qualifying due to some of the reports coming from those denied and at least 2 have tried the new accommodations and found they didn't work for various reasons and will be going elsewhere

Last edited:

Figgy1

Not

Not true my Granddaughter suffers from epliepsy
She's on four different medications and still has them
There are not ride induced
We are hoping we could her to a park in a wheelchair but she has expressed to us she would be embarrased if she had one she calls them glitches
So we thought if we could get her in and out as fast as possible
All anybody can tell you is you won't know until you call

KrzyKtty

Not

Not true my Granddaughter suffers from epliepsy
She's on four different medications and still has them
There are not ride induced
We are hoping we could her to a park in a wheelchair but she has expressed to us she would be embarrased if she had one she calls them glitches
So we thought if we could get her in and out as fast as possible
I believe the important part would be to identify the needs that would prevent her from being able to wait in a traditional line. The calls can be stressful so many people have recommended writing down those needs. It might also be helpful to write down any stories of what has happened when she was waiting in long lines.

I would not concentrate on the embarrassment aspect, though because that would probably not be a consideration for them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom