New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

lazyboy97o

He's not barring them from the park - he's saying that person wouldn't be able to use a DAS reservation and would be demoted to a regular entry..

Just like a person who wants a handicap parking spot, but when full, can opt to use a regular spot.
Minimums are not a maximum. The design guidelines are not a maximum threshold of service and accommodation. You can’t limit other accommodations because one minimum prescribed accommodation is being fully used at a particular moment. The minimum design criteria aren’t even consistent across different requirements to define a minimum threshold.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney already guarantees park access to people staying in the resorts. Disney could easily cite operational reasons for giving hotel guests DAS reservations if they qualified for DAS. This would not be a problem. Disney is NOT requiring anyone to pay for a hotel reservation. You could still get DAS reservations if they were available, so this is hardly requiring anyone to pay a fee. It would simply be a perk to those who stay on property.
I stand by my assessment. "not required" isn't enough, especially when you've setup a system that guarantee use if you are in a certain pool of customers

Someone would argue 'well if you have capacity you can guarantee 100k onsite guests DAS access - you have capacity for 100k DAS users.. and that means you must make at least 100k DAS slots open.. you can't exclude people from using those 100k slots just because they didn't buy your hotel room. So if you only have 20k onsite users using DAS, you must free up that other 80k to everyone'. The problem is the onsite hotel capacity is so large, you're hitching your horse to a number you probably can never sustain. And by making such a promise of availability.. you've also admitted you have a number you are willing to support. So that number becomes a piece of evidence in arguing what is 'reasonable' for the parks to do while avoiding having to fundamentally alter their product.

Your model would be better to tie to a number based on the operations of the parks - not tied to this hotel room thing that has nothing to do with the operational capabilities of the parks. Not only does it set yourself up for a number you probably don't want to accept... it sets yourself up for the commercial exploitation/discrimination issues because you can't really argue how the relatively static hotel capacity maps to the park's operations.

Vegas Disney Fan

Nowhere did I say that anyone would be refused entry.

People with DAS could make regular reservations and access the park any time a regular reservation was available.
This sounds just as bad as the new system we have now, one more “maybe you can get this accommodation” isn’t going to make the parks any more appealing to DAS guests than what we have now.

Bottom line is Disney underbuilt the parks over the last couple decades, construction is the only solution to this problem, there’s no workaround or line scheme that’s going to overcome the fact that 20 million guests are now visiting parks designed for 10-15 million guests... the non-DAS guests thinking the DAS changes are going to magically make the lines disappear are going to be just as disappointed as the DAS guests are now.

The only way the DAS changes are going to work is if millions of former DAS guests simply stop going to the parks, and if that does happen Disney will be backpeddling so fast to get those guests back our heads will spin.

photomatt

You seem not to understand that Disney has already decided not to give DAS to everyone who has a disability because it would place too much strain on the system. Having a third party verify something that Disney doesn’t need to know won’t help anything.

Also, the information you provided does not require an applicant to disclose their disability.
You clearly have not made any attempt to understand what the card is or the process required to obtain one. That's your choice and your right, but in doing so, you pretty much tell everyone that you're willing to post whatever you feel but you won't do even the simplest research to make sure that your opinions are based on fact.

I'm not telling you that you are wrong to do this, but I also have a right to respectfully and politely point out what's happening.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This is right on the first page:

Please Note:​

• The purpose of the IAC is to pre-register you as an individual who may need accommodations or assistance.
  • This is NOT a ticket and does NOT grant you access to any attraction. You will still need to purchase a ticket for admission
  • The IAC does NOT guarantee you any benefits or accommodations. All accommodations afforded to individuals with a need are at the sole discretion of the attraction
  • Please present your IAC upon arrival at the park for details about what accommodations may be available
  • All posted rules and regulations for the attraction you are visiting still apply
And -

The IAC is for anyone who is requesting accommodations – including but not limited to individuals who are autistic, use a wheelchair, are blind/low vision, deaf/hard of hearing, have mobility support needs, are accompanied by a service animal, have sensory sensitivities, cognitive disabilities, or have other needs and concerns.

The IAC helps identify accommodations needed and expedite the process at parks and attractions. Please read the below information very carefully and note that the IAC does NOT guarantee entry to an attraction and any special accommodations or benefits provided are at the sole discretion of that attraction.

The card verifies that the person claiming the disability has had a doctor verify it. This is vastly better than having a person go to the park and make a claim without any proof. The person requesting the accommodation can present the card, prove that their disability has been verified, and then explain what accommodations they need and why. All I am suggesting is that Disney not change their policy as it existed prior to a few weeks ago.

You're confusing the concept they are using. IBCCES doesn't issue IAC cards - IAC is what the park issues to someone to present within the parks. All that language is mainly just CYA to say just because you have a IAC it doesn't give you gaurunteed access to an attraction. Attractions are different... IAC isn't a replacement for paid access, etc.

The topic you are trying to talk about... the 'verification of a disability' is actually what happens at guest relations when they issue your IAC.. and they consult the review provided by IBCCES through what IT issues. This is how they try to separate IBCCES doesn't define the accommodations the park provides.. it's simply a 3rd party having the assessment discussions over what disability a person has.

Last edited:

photomatt

This sounds just as bad as the new system we have now, one more “maybe you can get this accommodation” isn’t going to make the parks any more appealing to DAS guests than what we have now.
It is rumored that there are over one million people who have Magic Keys. Everyone who purchases one clearly understands that "maybe you can get a reservation" for a given day is part of the deal. No one can misunderstand this concept anymore. It's as clear as day when you purchase a Magic Key. I'm sure it's the same when you purchase a WDW AP.

Do you have DAS? Do you visit the parks with people who have it? If not, how can you make the claim that limiting access is less appealing? Do you understand that my idea would REDUCE wait times for the people who need it most AND the people who pay for Genie+ AND people who wait in the standby lines?

Angel Ariel

You're right. Why aren't the people here buying this? How many of the people who are against this have DAS or has a family member who has it? How many of the people responding to my ideas are claiming that my idea is self-serving, but in reality are simply against Disney providing accommodations with people with disabilities?

I don't think anyone will answer truthfully even though their posts reveal it for them.
My child has significant disabilities. What you're proposing in terms of limiting the number of disabled people able to make reservations for a park each day, giving preference to those who stay onsite, is not something I'd ever support.

photomatt

Doctors do not have to provide verification for IBCCES. Verification can be from an IEP document alone, no doctor required. Having educational need for accommodations does not equate to medical need - they are entirely different standards
You're right. I forgot about the people listed who are not doctors. The point is that IBBCES still requires third party verification of some sort. It's better than someone going to Disney and requesting DAS with no proof at all. It would eliminate some abuse. No, it would not eliminate all abuse, but it would eliminate some.

photomatt

My child has significant disabilities. What you're proposing in terms of limiting the number of disabled people able to make reservations for a park each day, giving preference to those who stay onsite, is not something I'd ever support.
Disney already does this. They guarantee admission to anyone who is staying at one of their hotels. I'm sorry if you don't already know this, but it's a fact. You are guaranteed a park reservation if you stay onsite, at least at DL. If it's different for WDW, please let me know.

Making reservations in advance to guarantee a better experience for everyone is not unreasonable.

Angel Ariel

Disney already does this. They guarantee admission to anyone who is staying at one of their hotels. I'm sorry if you don't already know this, but it's a fact. You are guaranteed a park reservation if you stay onsite, at least at DL. If it's different for WDW, please let me know.

Making reservations in advance to guarantee a better experience for everyone is not unreasonable.
Park reservations for WDW ended entirely a while ago.

And I just did a DLR trip a few months ago and no day was "sold out" for either park.

Because of DD's disabilities, we don't travel to Disney during the few times a year where the parks reach capacity, so being guaranteed entry due to being a hotel guest is not valuable to us.

Vegas Disney Fan

It is rumored that there are over one million people who have Magic Keys. Everyone who purchases one clearly understands that "maybe you can get a reservation" for a given day is part of the deal. No one can misunderstand this concept anymore. It's as clear as day when you purchase a Magic Key. I'm sure it's the same when you purchase a WDW AP.

Do you have DAS? Do you visit the parks with people who have it? If not, how can you make the claim that limiting access is less appealing? Do you understand that my idea would REDUCE wait times for the people who need it most AND the people who pay for Genie+ AND people who wait in the standby lines?
My Gf has had it for half a decade due to a heart issue that causes her to faint from overheating, and we have both had APs for a decade or more, and we will not be renewing this year because the parks aren’t worth the price to us without DAS.

It’s already hard enough to get a normal reservation when we want to go, getting one of the “limited” DAS reservations would likely be 10x harder, what you propose wouldn’t make the parks any more appealing to us than the horrible system in place today. It would be great for those who snagged the elusive spots before they were gone but it would also make a Disney vacation 1000 times more frustrating for everyone that didn’t get one in my opinion.

Angel Ariel

OK, but we know the framework is in place to implement a DAS reservation system.

I honestly don't understand why you would oppose an idea that would guarantee a better experience for your child and all you needed to do was plan in advance.
See @Vegas Disney Fan 's response for why I don't believe it's the guarantee you think it is.

Plus, the price of Disney hotels - especially at DLR, is out of control. If it ever reached a point where we had to stay onsite in order for DD to receive accommodations she needs, we would just stop going.

photomatt

My Gf has had it for half a decade due to a heart issue that causes her to faint from overheating, and we have both had APs for a decade or more, and we will not be renewing this year because the parks aren’t worth the price to us without DAS.

It’s already hard enough to get a normal reservation when we want to go, getting one of the “limited” DAS reservations would likely be 10x harder, what you propose wouldn’t make the parks any more appealing to us than the horrible system in place today. It would be great for those who snagged the elusive spots before they were gone but it would also make a Disney vacation 1000 times more frustrating for everyone that didn’t get one in my opinion.
I have not suggested any numbers, so you have no idea what kinds of limits would be imposed or how hard it would be to obtain a DAS reservation.

The fact that it's hard to get a normal reservation should have no bearing on my idea. It shouldn't.

When you did get a DAS reservation your experience would be better because your wait times would be shorter. How is this not a good idea? You're complaining at the potential extra effort and planning, but you're not seeing the reward.

photomatt

Headline in every paper in the country Disney limits admission to disabled people. I wonder how much Disney would have to pay their pr team to clean up that mess
First, that headline would be wrong. Disney is not prohibiting disabled people from coming.

Second, Disney is already going to have to clean up this PR mess. We are just at the beginning. It's not too late to fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:

photomatt

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

I have not suggested any numbers, so you have no idea what kinds of limits would be imposed or how hard it would be to obtain a DAS reservation.

The fact that it's hard to get a normal reservation should have no bearing on my idea. It shouldn't.

When you did get a DAS reservation your experience would be better because your wait times would be shorter. How is this not a good idea? You're complaining at the potential extra effort and planning, but you're not seeing the reward.
Park reservations probably rank in the top 5 most unpopular things Disney has ever done, adding another layer to that is not going to go over well.

It would be great for the few who snagged a reservation but horrible for those who didn’t, and I’m guessing the likelihood of snagging one of those reservations, or a weeks worth in the case of WDW, would be very low.

It sounds similar to getting a RunDisney entry the last several years, be online months ahead of time at 7am and smash the refresh button until you get put into an hour long queue, then you impatiently wait to see if you get a reservation or get the sold out page after waiting an hour. The difference in this case is you’d have to do that over and over again for however many days you are at WDW, that sounds horrible to me and would likely sour me on Disney even more than the dozen or so other horrible changes they‘ve already made the last couple years.

it would be great for some but likely drive even more people away from the brand.

hopemax

I keep wanting to mention this to you... A friend is dealing with the not being approved for DAS, after having purchased an AP for WDW, was told that they can prorate refunds for APs. It's based on the number of days you have used the pass. So it might be worth a call to Disneyland to find out if you are eligible.

photomatt

Park reservations probably rank in the top 5 most unpopular things Disney has ever done, adding another layer to that is not going to go over well.

I agree. I think it sucks that Disney does not have a level of pass, other than Premiere, that does not require reservations. They are leaving money on the table.

The facts that I hate reservations, and that I agree that they are unpopular, are not reasons that a DAS reservation system would not work.

It would be great for the few who snagged a reservation but horrible for those who didn’t, and I’m guessing the likelihood of snagging one of those reservations, or a weeks worth in the case of WDW, would be very low.

I have no idea what numbers Disney would use. Disney could determine that on average, x number of people with DAS are in the parks on any given day. They could say that the number of DAS reservations would be 90 percent of x, thereby reducing the number of people using DAS on any given day by 10 percent.

Are you really saying that a 10 percent reduction in the number of people using DAS is a severe hardship?

Again, I have no idea what numbers Disney would use, but it's not fair to say that they would limit the number of DAS users to 10 percent of the average number that existed before the change. I think it's fair to assume that they could be reasonable when determining the number of DAS reservations available on a given day.

They could even say that the new system would be set at 99 percent of x. Anything would be an improvement. Anything.
It sounds similar to getting a RunDisney entry the last several years, be online months ahead of time at 7am and smash the refresh button until you get put into an hour long queue, then you impatiently wait to see if you get a reservation or get the sold out page after waiting an hour. The difference in this case is you’d have to do that over and over again for however many days you are at WDW, that sounds horrible to me and would likely sour me on Disney even more than the dozen or so other horrible changes they‘ve already made the last couple years.

it would be great for some but likely drive even more people away from the brand.

Do you honestly think that there are that many people with DAS that it would lead to the problems you are describing? I don't think so. If that many people with DAS were in the parks now, the standby lines would never move.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom