New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Chi84

Premium Member
A greeter at an attraction should not be put in this position - everything else is clear black and white (are you tall enough, can you transfer, etc.) - this is the type of decision that needs to be made at a higher level.
They tried that and it didn’t work. This may be the best they can do given they can’t inquire into the nature and extent of a disability. Disney isn’t going to put higher-ups at every attraction.

TrainsOfDisney

Disney isn’t going to put higher-ups at every attraction.
Nor should they - guests should be given some type of accommodation card (physical or digital) that tells the greeter what type of accommodations they should receive.

Similar to stroller = wheelchair tags - the greet at each attraction doesn’t get to determine if the stroller can or can’t be brought along - that decision was made when the tag was given.

Splash4eva

I mean, none of the previous DAS powerusers who lost the ability to use DAS are going to like it, obviously. I suspect the vast majority of people though who weren’t doing that will like it, including those with children who have legitimate developmental disabilities who are still getting DAS and no longer have to worry about extremely long lightning lane lines.
Maybe i been lucky but the comments about extremely long lightning lanes are to me nothing more than an exaggeration. Sans when a ride is down and they are trying to catch up with all the Genie users LL to me have not gotten out of control at all. I never remember them being a “walk on”. Its always been a semi “wait”. Again my experience only im speaking of and others i know

Chi84

Premium Member
Nor should they - guests should be given some type of accommodation card (physical or digital) that tells the greeter what type of accommodations they should receive.

Similar to stroller = wheelchair tags - the greet at each attraction doesn’t get to determine if the stroller can or can’t be brought along - that decision was made when the tag was given.
Was there an issue with stroller or wheelchair tags as far as getting into the lines? I’m not following.

Or do you mean for a physical disability they should get a card saying rider swap or AQR? How would that help anything?

Grantwil93

Ideally this would work. But each ride is different. You would more likely need a sheet of paper(or multiple) listing what the person should receive at each attraction. They are all different. It's doable, but it's a lot to sift through for guests all day and for CM's to sift through it and find their ride. They could do it electronically, but I guess they don't want to go that route

Chi84

Premium Member
Ideally this would work. But each ride is different. You would more likely need a sheet of paper(or multiple) listing what the person should receive at each attraction. They are all different. It's doable, but it's a lot to sift through for guests all day and for CM's to sift through it and find their ride. They could do it electronically, but I guess they don't want to go that route
Also, wouldn’t someone who didn’t qualify for DAS but has a physical disability that requires assistance possibly get a RTQ if there were only 2 people? Would that be possible?

RamblinWreck

Maybe i been lucky but the comments about extremely long lightning lanes are to me nothing more than an exaggeration. Sans when a ride is down and they are trying to catch up with all the Genie users LL to me have not gotten out of control at all. I never remember them being a “walk on”. It’s always been a semi “wait”. Again my experience only im speaking of and others i know
Yeah I don’t get it.

It’s been a year since I’ve been there bid but by and large LL’s are all practically walk ons. Maybe 10 minutes for a popular attraction.

Grantwil93

Also, wouldn’t someone who didn’t qualify for DAS but has a physical disability that requires assistance possibly get a RTQ if there were only 2 people? Would that be possible?
Theoretically yes, but they would have to explain why they can't be assisted in line due to their physical disability

Are they on cruches? If so, you offer a wheelchair to use in the queue if the wait is too long for them on crutches. Not give them a pass. All rides should have at least a few chairs on hand. If they don't want it, that's their choice and the conversation is essentially over unless they can explain why a wheelchair won't work(this is a possible scenario)

If they are in a mobility device already, then they would have to explain why the assistance they need can only be provided outside the queue, and why is the 10-20minute LL okay to be assisted in but not the 45 min standby? I'm not saying that it can't be explained, just that it would need to be. Specifically in the context of physical disability you were asking for.
-
-
This is essentially the rule:
If it was determined that there was no other option for them to reasonably experience the attraction, then RTQ passes could be issued. The key here is "reasonably experience." It comes back to the same arguments people are having about the interviews and who qualifies. "Disney" may not agree with you on what is reasonable, but legally they are in the clear(as it stands right now)

They could also be issued in some kind of leaving the queue for an emergency circumstance. But that's so subjective and circumstantial that it's essentially irrelevant to disect

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
No, that’s the point. There is not an issue because if a stroller has a tag the CM treats it as a wheelchair no questions asked. I’m saying that’s how RTQ etc. should be handled. The greeter should not have to make those types of calls.
But from what’s been said in this thread being given a return time at the attraction is based on the particular attraction queue or possibly is given out in the event that a person doesn’t have someone to hold a place in line - either based on being alone or the only caretaker.

In the first instance it would not be useful and in the second it would be based on something Disney might not know ahead of time.

I think you may be suggesting another use where someone who doesn’t qualify for DAS can get something not listed on Disney’s website.

ConfettiCupcake

I’m guessing - just guessing, that there’s not a formal way to qualify for RTQ because that’s just a road to overuse/abuse again. As nice as it would be from the guest perspective to have some official notation on one’s account or an official pass, for Disney that just shifts the large chunk of people they got off DAS right back onto what’s effectively DAS with some extra hurdles.

I really think they don’t want people using it unless they without question need it. I don’t think they want the mights and maybes to have full access anymore period.

RamblinWreck

I’m guessing - just guessing, that there’s not a formal way to qualify for RTQ because that’s just a road to overuse/abuse again. As nice as it would be from the guest perspective to have some official notation on one’s account or an official pass, for Disney that just shifts the large chunk of people they got off DAS right back onto what’s effectively DAS with some extra hurdles.

I really think they don’t want people using it unless they without question need it. I don’t think they want the mights and maybes to have full access anymore period.
DAS with some extra hurdles would be a big improvement from a logistics side though.

Most people wouldn’t go to the effort to jump through the hoops for every single ride.

It would suck for the disabled people though.

Chi84

Premium Member
No, I’m suggesting that those who don’t qualify for DAS but are expected to “seek assistance from a CM at the entrance” be given a card that informs the CM what accommodations to offer.
So what @Grantwil93 posted above? That seems both complex and possibly limiting for the attraction CMs.

The website tells people what line accommodations they can request (AQR and rider switch). From everything that’s been said here, getting a return time without entering the line is meant to be a rare exception.

Maybe you can give an example of the type of card you’re talking about? What situation would present itself where someone would get an accommodation other than the ones listed on the website?

TrainsOfDisney

What situation would present itself where someone would get an accommodation other than the ones listed on the website?
What situations are supposed to get AQR, Rider Switch or RTQ?

Everyone can get rider switch now correct? Any stories of guests being denied that?

So who gets AQR and RTQ?

Fido Chuckwagon

They tried that system, it was called GAC, and somehow, after several years, everyone ended up figuring out what to say to get cards indicating that what they needed was the highest form of accommodation possible. Shocking, I know.

Chi84

Premium Member
What situations are supposed to get AQR, Rider Switch or RTQ?

Everyone can get rider switch now correct? Any stories of guests being denied that?

So who gets AQR and RTQ?
Disney doesn’t list anything called RTQ. It seems to be for the type of rare situations described above by @Grantwil93.

I’m not sure how Disney could foresee those situations. For example, what happens if a card says AQR and rider switch because a disabled person has a party of 5 but he goes to an attraction alone? Would the CM be bound by what it says on the card?

Last edited:

TrojanUSC

No, I’m suggesting that those who don’t qualify for DAS but are expected to “seek assistance from a CM at the entrance” be given a card that informs the CM what accommodations to offer.

They literally tried this with GAC, which was a card with a stamp that told the CM what assistance to offer (offer a shaded wait area, use the alternate entrance, etc). However, everybody knew what to say to get the best card stamp and it became pointless.

The problem with GAC was that it included a true skip the line system, not that it set out to offer organized variety.
Kind of... the original intent was to offer a variety of options and they had about a half dozen stamps to ensure the specific needs of each guest were met.

Angel Ariel

There is a weird amount of , " What about me ism" in this thread. So many posts Is ring with an air of, "Well I can't do that thing, so it's not fair the disabled person can." That is such a weird take to have.

The disabled person might have physical or mental limitations that proclude them from riding a decent number of rides. So, what does it matter if they choose to ride the three or four over and over again that they can.

They might also only be able to be in the park for a limited number of time directly related to their disability, so what does it really matter if they can use DAS for 1 really long line, while waiting in two or three shorter ones in the mean time. I know that I cannot do the same thing, but I also have the option to choose to be in the park for twelve hours that day with minimal impact to my health.

The better way to take these discussions is when somebody comes in concerned about how to prepare, Advice is given. Or when somebody is denied and doesn't know what to do, Advice is given.

Arguing about the would have, should have, could've of what disney should have done might be more fun, but is definitely more fruitless. Thay have made their decision regarding DAS for now.
Thank you. 🙏

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom