Rumor New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

NotTheOne

That's probably not accurate.

Fundamentally altered, within the context of the ADA and reasonable accomodations is akin to making the Disneyland Submarines wheelchair accessible. It can't be done without completely changing the nature of the attraction. So they get pass and another reasonable accomodation was created instead.

"I had to wait longer" would not be an unreasonable accomodation or speak to the overall experience being fundamentally altered.
Courts disagreed with you.

Chi84

Premium Member
Disney is allowed to determine right up until a judge says they can't. The case that Disney won regarding getting rid of the GAC included tons of data from Disney that showed that providing the accommodation the parent asked for would be disruptive to park operations. Absent that data (and don't think for a second that Disney doesn't have the data to back up these new changes), the court very easily could have said that the request was reasonable and forced Disney to provide the 10 re-entry passes per day that were being requested.
I’m not sure how “easily” the court could have found in favor of the plaintiff in A.L. Neither the ADA nor the DOJ regulations cover line accommodations and Disney’s business model is pretty much having people stand in lines unless they pay to avoid them.

It’s a fairly complex issue discussed in much detail over the 224 pages of this thread. 😊

NotTheOne

Difference with those lines vs attraction lines? I can sit! I don't have to stand in a spot (or two) for quite some time, which is generally where my cerebral palsy flares up. Standing in short lines is possible for me. But 45 minutes? An hour? Two hours? Nope!
In what line at Disney do you stand in a spot (or two) for 45 minutes?

Disstevefan1

Difference with those lines vs attraction lines? I can sit! I don't have to stand in a spot (or two) for quite some time, which is generally where my cerebral palsy flares up. Standing in short lines is possible for me. But 45 minutes? An hour? Two hours? Nope!
I presume you will qualify for the new DAS ?

NotTheOne

1 in 4 adults do not have a disability that precludes them from waiting in line..... This is the problem. Many kids with austism can wait in line. In your world, Disney would be an fn nightmare....
The poster never said that every one of those 1 in 4 would need a DAS, they just stated the statistics about disabilities

NotTheOne

I’m not sure how “easily” the court could have found in favor of the plaintiff in A.L. Neither the ADA nor the DOJ regulations cover line accommodations and Disney’s business model is pretty much having people stand in lines unless they pay to avoid them.

It’s a fairly complex issue discussed in much detail over the 224 pages of this thread. 😊
Because line accommodations aren't called out, it would have been quite easy. The ADA doesn't call out specific required accommodations because they are varied depending on venue and need.

DisneyHead123

I know you’re kidding.. but If they used the real return time of the queue to include the people in VQ not just the physical line queue it could work.
I keep coming back to the idea that Disney will have to trend towards increased “ride reservations” over time, and the extreme endpoint of that is indeed all virtual queues. The only issue is that they have nowhere to put all of the people not in lines. I believe Universal tried “all virtual” at a water park and even there - a much much smaller park specifically designed to be all virtual - it didn’t work logistically. So I think Disney will move in that general direction (with a price tag) but can never realistically get to all-virtual waits. I think they will move to an increasingly tiered system with reservations. Say, for example, that 90% of guests had the option of a virtual queue for a handful of the hottest new rides, but 10% of guest could buy an “Ultimate Grand Supreme Genie” that guaranteed you a spot. I think we may see more of that type of thing. Not saying I want to see that, but that’s my prediction.

RamblinWreck

I keep coming back to the idea that Disney will have to trend towards increased “ride reservations” over time, and the extreme endpoint of that is indeed all virtual queues. The only issue is that they have nowhere to put all of the people not in lines. I believe Universal tried “all virtual” at a water park and even there - a much much smaller park specifically designed to be all virtual - it didn’t work logistically. So I think Disney will move in that general direction (with a price tag) but can never realistically get to all-virtual waits. I think they will move to an increasingly tiered system with reservations. Say, for example, that 90% of guests had the option of a virtual queue for a handful of the hottest new rides, but 10% of guest could buy an “Ultimate Grand Supreme Genie” that guaranteed you a spot. I think we may see more of that type of thing. Not saying I want to see that, but that’s my prediction.
It would be interesting to see lightning lanes and standby lines all on virtual queues. They’re already doing it / have done it with several rides in the past.

Guest satisfaction would surely go up for the people who understand the system well, and down for those who don’t.

But then there’s still the problem of having fewer people standing in lines

DisneyHead123

It would be interesting to see lightning lanes and standby lines all on virtual queues. They’re already doing it / have done it with several rides in the past.
Yes… thus far it’s been one individual LL at a time and no guarantee you’ll get it. I could see an upgraded package where you’re pre-guaranteed 3-5 VQ rides across parks. Or even what they used to do with the “tours”, where they clustered together classic rides, thrill rides, etc., and you could essentially buy a package of FP+’s for far less than a VIP Tour.

Guest satisfaction would surely go up for the people who understand the system well, and down for those who don’t.

But then there’s still the problem of having fewer people standing in lines
I think they could make it work to an extent with better capacity. They did FP+ with 2019 crowd levels after all. But the capacity for VQ would definitely be finite and nowhere near 100%.

Chi84

Premium Member
Does anyone have a link to the answer filed by Six Flags in the ADA class action suit. I believe the plaintiff is I.L. Someone provided the complaint earlier in this thread.

ditzee

Does anyone have a link to the answer filed by Six Flags in the ADA class action suit. I believe the plaintiff is I.L. Someone provided the complaint earlier in this thread.
It wasn't filed that long ago so manybe Six Flags hasn't answered it yet. I found:
wwwDOTcourthousenewsDOT com/disabled-veteran-files-class-action-against-six-flags-and-magic-mountain/
www DOT courthousenews DOT com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/six-flags-suit.pdf

Chi84

Premium Member
It wasn't filed that long ago so manybe Six Flags hasn't answered it yet. I found:
wwwDOTcourthousenewsDOT com/disabled-veteran-files-class-action-against-six-flags-and-magic-mountain/
www DOT courthousenews DOT com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/six-flags-suit.pdf
I think the answer was filed April 18 but I don’t have a PACER account. I thought someone who posted here did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom