New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

flynnibus

Premium Member
But the people who do misuse it don't warrant an overhaul that will most definitely cause issues for those who do have legitimate reason to use it...

This has been proven wrong by disney when they needed to create DAS to replace the GAC and hard data was provided in the lawsuit to back it up.

And similar data has been collected by independent third parties with DAS now and has been verified by Disney (informally) as well.

You can put your head in the sand if you like… but it doesn’t change reality. The system as it’s being used is overwhelming the LL queue and has negative consequences.

StarBright

But the people who do misuse it don't warrant an overhaul that will most definitely cause issues for those who do have legitimate reason to use it...
And the ones complaining about it simply don't make sense...all of the arguments fall short, and tbh sound like people who don't have anything better to do with their lives. And again...I say this as someone who's child is directly effected by all of this and the people who misuse it. At the end of the day, Id rather a handful of people spend their virtual ques in smaller lines than have my child lose his ability to use it at all. Be mad at Disney for implementing Genie+, drastically increasing costs across all sectors, and refusing to provide attractions, crowd control, and entertainment that could aid in wait times maintain their rides while also refusing to provide adequate maintenance in the rides they DO have running (half the time). People with DAS...both legitimate and even those who aren't....aren't causing the issue Disney wants you to think they are. But it put the target on people with disabilities again, while they get to do exactly what they've been doing for years (grossly mismanaging many aspects and sections of the parks as a whole) and act like they're putting a bandaid on something that isn't going to change anything anyway but WILL cause further problems for many. But at least they got to say they took down that handful of pesky line hoppers... so pay no attention to the massive uncontrolled wildfire they caused thats consuming the rest of the parks...
I am unsure how many times this needs to be repeated. It does warrant it, it warrants it so much that Disney is indeed overhauling the system. It doesn't matter how much folks try to blame G+ or anything else, Disney themselves have determined that DAS in it's current iteration is an issue that needs to be solved.

Chip Chipperson

If a majority of the DAS crowd ends up purchasing genie+, how will that not overwhelm the same system and it make any more sustainable?
There is a finite amount of G+ spots available. Yes, in theory, Disney could drastically increase the number if G+/ILL spots available for purchase to iffset the reduction of DAS users, but that seems unlikely since it would create the same issue of long lines and lack of value that got them to this point in the first place.

Tha Realest

With the amount of disrespect I've witnessed and dealt with in this thread alone and in general regarding disabilities...I can't say I'm inclined to provide the same. I'm even less inclined when said person chooses to twist my words to fit their failed attempt at an argument.

I'm more concerned with why people feel the need to spend so much time in a thread regarding disability accomodations and be so adamantly against said accomodations for people with disabilities (the people this truly effects).
Not every disability is the same. But you apparently defend the status quo proposition that every person with a claimed disability should be accommodated the same way.

If your family member continues to qualify for DAS, more power to you. I don’t begrudge those with particular needs continuing to use it.

Sparksfly

Given how much Disney has already devalued the parks in regards to lack of maintenance and discontinuation of attractions and entertainment while also exponentially increasing prices of everything from tickets to popcorn...it doesn't appear to me they give much consideration to value and are more so focused on their bottom line. With that said...don't think for one second they wouldn't raise G+ spot availability if it meant increasing their revenue.

Touchdown

With the amount of disrespect I've witnessed and dealt with in this thread alone and in general regarding disabilities...I can't say I'm inclined to provide anything other than my own assumptions based on the interactions, call it what you will. I'm even less inclined when said person chooses to twist my words to fit their failed attempt at an argument.

I'm more concerned with why people feel the need to spend so much time in a thread regarding disability accomodations and be so adamantly against said accomodations for people with disabilities (the people this truly effects).
It’s also important to note that DAS was thought up for and designed for people with developmental disabilities (which is further complicated by the word we now use to describe debilities which an uncaring person might label as the dreaded r word that originally was a medical term for these debilities but was corrupted to a slur) it’s literally for children who cannot comprehend or cope with waiting in line. It’s also really important to state that Disney is still offering DAS to those families (as they should) they just have to register ahead of time.

The people who are being stripped of DAS are those with physical debilities, and those that are “high functioning” developmentally delayed who can function more normally in society. The former are being given accommodations to help with their debility (wheelchair, return to line, etc) the latter are being accessed by a medical professional and if deemed capable being asked to cope like the rest of us. There are too many people in these two categories (not to mention the cheaters) and it’s literally breaking the theme parks. While it is a downgrade for these people it is necessary to benefit everyone.

Last edited:

Drdcm

Can anyone think of other ways the line re-entry situation could work? I have a hard time believing what has been disclosed is a legitimate solution.

Maybe they could set up checkpoints like every 10-15min or so that are staffed line entry spots?

ToTBellHop

That’s the point of DAS - to accommodate guests that couldn’t otherwise enjoy the park.
Right. But DAS doesn’t make the sun go away. My understanding is DAS is meant to help guests who can’t experience attractions. How does skipping the standby for Big Thunder do that for someone who is sun-sensitive? If anything, standby would get you out of the sun longer. You get this same BS from people who gleefully explain online how they get DAS because they can’t handle Florida heat.

Then don’t go to Florida. DAS doesn’t somehow make the Kilimanjaro Safaris queue not 90 degrees. Or the ride for that matter. Anyone who truly cannot handle that heat will not be able to go to WDW in July. Period. They wouldn’t make it into the park or to the rides. Those using DAS in those conditions are lying. It’s not that they can’t handle heat and sun. They just don’t want to.

RamblinWreck

The DAS power users that everyone is complaining about are the people who use genie+ and DAS. We know this group is willing to buy genie+

The people using DAS without genie+ are most likely ride pounders and get a few extra rides in each day using DAS and use standby for the rest. They've conditioned themselves to getting those few extra rides each day without waiting and like all of us here are addicted to Disney in general. They're not gonna stop visiting and their conditioned/addictive mindset of a few extra rides will be enough to justify purchasing genie+ most days if they're not able to ise DAS (IMO of course).
Maybe so. Even if every single one of them buys Genie+ (considering Disney allows that man Genie+ passes to be bought that day), Disney still controls exactly how many lightning lane passes are allowed to be snapped up for each ride, every single hour.

You can't break the queueing system that way. You can only disappoint park guests.

ConfettiCupcake

That article is a perfect example of how use may be a motivator here for Disney and not just abuse. The woman in the article did nothing wrong, nothing against Disneys rules, she didn’t lie, but she undoubtedly doesn’t need to be allowed to “wait elsewhere” for every attraction (with her party too) if her only issue is outdoor queues and the parks predominately don’t have them for indoor attractions. I’m not even going to touch the legitimacy of her claim when she says she can handle it if she needs to, she can still be accommodated without DAS as we know it today.

Finding other ways to accommodate people to lessen the impacts on the queues when capacity is a finite thing makes a ton of sense.

Kamikaze

The few bad apples who may due this are not nearly worth the issue this could and most likely will cause for people who truly have disabilities and need the accomodations. For my child, it's not about needed proof, we have tons of it...for me it's more about trusting the 3rd party and what could potentially happen to his information. We are lucky enough to have insurance that pays for all visits and letters from Drs...not everyone has that. Not everyone has easy access to Drs. in general. This system (or something similar to it) is proving to already be causing issues for people with disabilities in other parks...
And it's all because Disney doesn't want to lose a money (which they already make up on the $30 per guest per day they charge...and mind you...Genie+ is why standby lines are so crazy these days...not people with DAS, on top of Disneys refusal to spend money and improve their parks nor have adequate crowd control management)...and a handful of people wanting to complain about the 1 out of 1000+ people who may spend their virtual que in a smaller line (which wouldnt even effect the person in either line as they would be 2 seperare rides anyway...albeit its wrong and imoral in general and as a legitimate DAS holder, those people do me off for lack of better words).
If you have no issues getting the DAS fairly, why are you so adamant about defending those who would do so unfairly?

I see you're worried about potential data leaks, and I'm not going to downplay that its possible, but you've already claimed 'HIPAA' regarding this, which means you don't really grasp medical data privacy anyway.

Chip Chipperson

That’s the point of DAS - to accommodate guests that couldn’t otherwise enjoy the park.
In this specific case, the person complaining to People magazine made the case that she "needs" DAS because the sun is too painful on her eyes "even with sunglasses" due to a medical condition, yet shared a photo of herself at MK in the daytime on a sunny day without sugnlasses. She also confessed to being able to handle the sun "if I have to." Given those facts, it is not reasonable that Disney should provide her with DAS when she is clearly capable of handling the sun. This appears to be a case of someone with a legitimate medical issue exaggerating their "need" for accommodation or conflating "need" with "want." By her own admission, she CAN wait on line like everyone else but doesn't want to. That's not the spirit of what DAS was intended to do.

DisneyCane

Well, I don't know the internal goals of DAS but the goal of the ADA is to accommodate people who can't ACCESS attractions due to a disability, not that they can't "enjoy" them (using the definition of the word that means have fun/have a good time).

My legs or back can get sore if I spend enough hours waiting in standby queues during a day which makes the park less enjoyable. Does that mean I should qualify for DAS? Absolutely not!

DisneyCane

In this specific case, the person complaining to People magazine made the case that she "needs" DAS because the sun is too painful on her eyes "even with sunglasses" due to a medical condition, yet shared a photo of herself at MK in the daytime on a sunny day without sugnlasses. She also confessed to being able to handle the sun "if I have to." Given those facts, it is not reasonable that Disney should provide her with DAS when she is clearly capable of handling the sun. This appears to be a case of someone with a legitimate medical issue exaggerating their "need" for accommodation or conflating "need" with "want." By her own admission, she CAN wait on line like everyone else but doesn't want to. That's not the spirit of what DAS was intended to do.
And I'm sure that very dark sunglasses like the ones they give you at the optometrist after they dilate your eyes would solve any discomfort.

Last edited:

Patcheslee

Right. But DAS doesn’t make the sun go away. My understanding is DAS is meant to help guests who can’t experience attractions. How does skipping the standby for Big Thunder do that for someone who is sun-sensitive? If anything, standby would get you out of the sun longer. You get this same BS from people who gleefully explain online how they get DAS because they can’t handle Florida heat.

Then don’t go to Florida. DAS doesn’t somehow make the Kilimanjaro Safaris queue not 90 degrees. Or the ride for that matter. Anyone who truly cannot handle that heat will not be able to go to WDW in July. Period. They wouldn’t make it into the park or to the rides. Those using DAS in those conditions are lying. It’s not that they can’t handle heat and sun. They just don’t want to.
The medication I'm on now apparently makes me more sensitive to sun and prone to sunburn. I just have to apply sunscreen more often, wear rashguards, and optimize my time to be indoors during the peak of the day.

flynnibus

Premium Member
She also confessed to being able to handle the sun "if I have to." Given those facts, it is not reasonable that Disney should provide her with DAS when she is clearly capable of handling the sun. This appears to be a case of someone with a legitimate medical issue exaggerating their "need" for accommodation or conflating "need" with "want."
But these words out of context can be distorted too.

Is "if I have to" without any consequence? Meaning... take for example the person with the handicap parking because they can't walk long distances... it doesn't only mean they can't physically do it ever, it can mean they have trouble doing so, or even to the point of difficult to do.

Does "if I have to" mean they can tolerate it for 20mins if they have to.. or does it mean "I can do it for hours on end..". The idea of posing for a photo doesn't address this distinction at all.

Can a deaf person read lips enough to get by in a video intro? Maybe...
Does that mean they shouldn't be offered Closed Captioning because they can get by partially or with difficulty w/o?

I don't know this woman or her issue - but I think taking her as a poster child of the issue of 'need vs want' is not a great platform to preach from.

Severity is hard to communicate and interpret, especially when dealing with topics that are related to coping or tolerance.. instead of physically impossible.

Visiting Disney shouldn't be a matter of 'what you can survive' - Its intended to be an enjoyable experience. From a customer service prospective, that is going to mean trying to make guests comfortable where they can. That is going to open up the discussion to things about what reduces negatives for guests and not just dealing with 'what you can absolutely physically do if you had to'.

And this is why it's difficult to fit one answer to all problems... especially when the solutions include things that people would otherwise .

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom