Rumor New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Angel Ariel

Just a note - other cases may be rare individually, but not in aggregate. For example, listing every single genetic disorder out there would be difficult if not impossible, but in aggregate “chromosomal disorders” could constitute a fairly significant number.
Genetic would be better than chromosomal (as chromosomal disorders are genetic but not all genetic disorders are chromosomal :)), but your point is well made and I hope they do have some guidance on that.

DisneyHead123

Genetic would be better than chromosomal (as chromosomal disorders are genetic but not all genetic disorders are chromosomal :)), but your point is well made and I hope they do have some guidance on that.
Yes that’s a good point. Also, maybe I should have noted that not all chromosomal disorders cause developmental issues, but a significant number do.

pigglewiggle

I appreciate that everyone has different life circumstances and nothing is one size fits all.

We should also be reasonable and understand Disney can't possibly list everything that qualifies and people should just expect to explain their unique situation with the qualified healthcare professional when it's time for their interview.

Comped

Like I said - there are many developmental disorders that are rare, and will not be on a list like that. My daughter's is one. Only 600 people in the world diagnosed. Doctors at major metropolitan children's hospitals don't know what it is. Inspire Health Alliance won't either.

and to head this off at the pass: yes I get Google exists. I've had multiple doctors gaslight us when they didn't know this disorder, despite them having access to Google. So that's not a source of confidence building.
Yeah, it worries me as well. My relevant diagnosis isn't rare (though some of my vision stuff, which for some reason no longer qualifies for DAS, is and was even when I was seeing folks over at Boston Children's growing up, which has a fantastic pediatric eye unit) - so at least I'm really lucky in that respect. Many people, like yourself/your daughter, won't be as lucky, especially as Disney will likely just make big categories while they see what fits.
Just a note - other cases may be rare individually, but not in aggregate. For example, listing every single genetic disorder out there would be difficult if not impossible, but in aggregate “chromosomal disorders” could constitute a fairly significant number.
Yep. Exactly what I think Disney will have to do to make this less than a 500 row spreadsheet or 40 page word doc.

Happyday

The CDC list of major developmental conditions of note:
  • Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
  • Autism Spectrum Disorders
  • Cerebral Palsy
  • Fragile X Syndrome
  • Intellectual Disability
  • Language Disorders
  • Learning Disorders
  • Tourette Syndrome
Obviously some of these won't be covered (ADHD or learning disorders for example, even if they are technically developmental disorders), but most of the other ones may be possible? And we know Downs is one Disney is covering that isn't on the CDC's list, per Len.

Personally, I agree with you 100% that there's a long list of possible conditions - but if Disney must have a relatively short main list, this isn't a terrible one as it covers most of them. There will be rare cases, but that's why they have medical folks involved I suppose. (I just really hope Disney/their doctor partners don't tell me to simply rent a wheelchair every time I come instead of giving me DAS approval...)
I agree the list can become overwhelming and a shorter list may help however as I have mentioned in the past there are questions they can and do ask even without knowing a diagnosis and each question builds on the previous question. Again I don't want to give too much information but I trust that with the extra training these cast members will hopefully getting the cast members will be able to make the right decision.

Angel Ariel

I appreciate that everyone has different life circumstances and nothing is one size fits all.

We should also be reasonable and understand Disney can't possibly list everything that qualifies and people should just expect to explain their unique situation with the qualified healthcare professional when it's time for their interview.
I don't expect Disney to list everything. That's why I said I'd be surprised if they committed to having a comprehensive list. It's not possible to have one. Disney is more likely to run into problems for themselves if they try to have such a list.

DisneyHead123

I agree… what I wonder about, though, is them moving from “needs based” to “label + needs based”. Even if it’s a very broad label, like “developmental”. It seems like that may be open to legal challenges. Time will tell though.

Fido Chuckwagon

It's well-known that theme park vacations involve long waits in line
This is true, but is also going to send a lot of lawnmowers into orbit unfortunately. I feel so badly for the frontline CM’s. Based just on the vitriol directed in this thread by some posters towards everyone else, I can’t even imagine what they’re about to be subjected to.

Moth

• It's going to be restricted to developmental needs like autism and Down's. Mild cases may not qualify.
There's a lawyer out there who just got VERYYYYY excited over this line. Waiting for this to change after someone chucks a lawsuit at Disney, especially as someone on the spectrum myself. It's only a matter of time until someone sues because Disney deemed the person applying for DAS had a 'mild case'.

Fido Chuckwagon

I've heard the plan is to boost staffing in Guest Relations for the first few weeks because it will indeed suck. There will be guests who take a considerable amount of time fighting with them because they either weren't offered the accommodations they want from the virtual team, or don't want to participate in the virtual process. Many are used to getting their way, and frankly, the GR CMs are used to just giving in after a while, so this will be a big change for many.

Some guests sadly might even try to take it out on the attractions CMs. I'm told GEMs and coordinators have been/will be given instructions to not back down (for example, just cutting their losses and letting them through the LL as a "courtesy") and refer them to GR.
Yeah, it really is going to suck for them. And they are absolutely going to get just abused like crazy. People are so sure that they are entitled to their right to skip the lines. I really hope Disney doesn’t end up losing staff over the verbal abuse they’re going to endure.

pigglewiggle

There's a lawyer out there who just got VERYYYYY excited over this line. Waiting for this to change after someone chucks a lawsuit at Disney, especially as someone on the spectrum myself. It's only a matter of time until someone sues because Disney deemed the person applying for DAS had a 'mild case'.

This is a shame.

Fido Chuckwagon

This is all well and good but the people who have trips scheduled w/in days of the new rules have really not been given ample time. I called Disney the other day to see if refunds would be issued and was told this would have to be an elevated conversation and there would be no guarantee of a refund. So, basically, people whose trips will fall w/in a short time of the implementation might get screwed.
An “elevated conversation” is very easy to do, and I bet you anything that if you elevate to the first level of escalation they will absolutely give you a refund.

I agree the list can become overwhelming and a shorter list may help however as I have mentioned in the past there are questions they can and do ask even without knowing a diagnosis and each question builds on the previous question. Again I don't want to give too much information but I trust that with the extra training these cast members will hopefully getting the cast members will be able to make the right decision.
Agreed. Since they really have always insisted they don’t want a diagnosis… they just need to know what the person struggles with that is relevant to their ability to wait in traditional lines… I feel that as long as people can communicate what the (non mobility related) challenges are with lines Disney will be able to determine how to help

MickeyLuv'r

I hope you are correct, but I can tell you from personal experience that I am doubtful. See that picture by my name? The day that was taken, we were in line for the safari. At the point where you are required to park your stroller, I take it out of line and park it, and the 2 minutes later when I came back to line, the ladies behind us tried to physically block me from rejoining my wife, daughter and brother. They had been behind me for 30 minutes and had watched me take the stroller out, yet tried to block my reentry.

I really hope there is a good plan for the return-to-line program. In theory, I think it is an excellent idea. But my faith in the average Disney line denizen to play nice and make this work is not high.
I saw something similar, and equally disturbing.

On a very busy mid-day in 2023, the area near the entrance of BTMRR queue was crowded.

Family arrives: Two eager approx 10-year old boys running ahead, mom+ dad come next, trying to keep up. Fifteen feet behind mom and dad comes slower-walking grandma, except the family doesn't notice she's fallen a bit behind. {Actually, since then I've since noticed this pattern happening a LOT at WDW.}

So several families cut in-between mom+dad and very petite grandma. Not line cutting, just funneled. A short- and I mean short distance later- just past the ride entrance- petite grandma has to pass about 10 people to catch up to mom/dad/kids. Mind, all within 3minutes of entering the queue, grandma politely taps folks on the shoulder, "May I please pass you to rejoin my family?" while pointing to her family.

A burly guy loudly YELLS, "No! NOBODY will pass ME!" then continues to verbally berate her for several minutes, clearly standing over her like a giant bull. He's so loud and obnoxious, that everybody in the queue is now staring at him.

Luckily, at that point, mom+dad noticed that grandma had fallen behind. Luckily, the bull's wife also intervened and prevailed upon him to reconsider. He let grandma pass, but continued to bellow for some time.

His instant rage was rather disturbing.

pigglewiggle

I personally feel they should not be using wording like 'mild case' when it comes to autism. which is widely known to be on a spectrum. There is no such thing as a 'mild case' of autism and I personally think it's disgusting Disney is even inferring it even exists.

There are absolutely differing severities of diagnoses. Someone in my life is very high functioning Aspergers. She would say herself she doesn't need a DAS.

Patcheslee

I doubt people are worried so much about the people who actually saw them leave so much as they're concerned about the new people who will have entered the line after they left who wouldn't have seen them leave.
This 100% for me. I've had a couple negative confrontations with trying to reenter because I didn't have a little one with me. Most that stands out is a lady pulled the "you're an adult you should have gone before getting in line". Ppl seem more judgemental towards adults. Actually just compounds the anxiety of waiting in a line.

lentesta

Premium Member

They seem like they’re very prepared for litigation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom