New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Thanks for posting this!

Interesting that they are going straight to (what sounds to me like) “lawyer talk” with guests. Vs. “Corporate-speak” type responses. If a frustrated guest says “I just don’t know how I can make this work!”, advising CMs to respond “Remember, long lines are part of visiting an amusement park.” sounds like sort of an awkward response. Not “Please feel free to submit your feedback to…” or “We’ve put a lot of thought into these accommodations and feel confident they will serve our valued guest's needs.”

Someone should start a GoFundMe to cover these poor CM’s nightly bar tab…
Agreed, that’s going to be a challenge. I imagine a guest who has always been accommodated with DAS but no longer qualify… most likely won’t take “well remember, waiting in line is part of a theme park” very well.
I do feel for those who need it though, and I hope that the new accommodations are well thought out and helpful.
Also, as a side note …it’s interesting that they are accepting medical documentation… but not requiring it.

ditzee

Some WDW CMs got briefed today on the new rules. The take-aways that I heard (which could be wrong, so grain of salt):
  • DAS Advance is going away
  • There'll be a 10-minutes-between-rides enforced break before signing up for a new ride
  • Guest Relations will no longer have the ability to register or modify anything DAS-related. That's being taken away.
  • It's going to be restricted to developmental needs like autism and Down's. Mild cases may not qualify.
  • Guests claiming IBS/gastrointestinal issues, or diabetes, will be instructed on how to use the new exit-and-return lines.
  • A doctor's note saying you can't wait in lines will not be an automatic yes. Instead, you'll be transferred to speak to a registered healthcare professional about why you can't wait in line. Disney may not even read your documentation.
  • The party-size limits will be strictly enforced.
Guest-facing CMs were also told:
  • The job is going to suck for a while
  • You can remind guests:
    • It's well-known that theme park vacations involve long waits in line
    • The new policy is designed for the small percent of the population that has developmental disabilities; it's not for everyone with any medical condition.
    • Disney provided ample notification of the policy change.
In talking about this, I got the sense that Disney was already overwhelmed with questions along the lines of "Why does this qualify now but not after May 20?" And their point is that if everything that counted now counted on May 20, we'd have the same system and the same problems.
This is all well and good but the people who have trips scheduled w/in days of the new rules have really not been given ample time. I called Disney the other day to see if refunds would be issued and was told this would have to be an elevated conversation and there would be no guarantee of a refund. So, basically, people whose trips will fall w/in a short time of the implementation might get screwed.

Patcheslee

Some WDW CMs got briefed today on the new rules. The take-aways that I heard (which could be wrong, so grain of salt):
  • There'll be a 10-minutes-between-rides enforced break before signing up for a new ride
  • Guest Relations will no longer have the ability to register or modify anything DAS-related. That's being taken away.
  • It's going to be restricted to developmental needs like autism and Down's. Mild cases may not qualify.
  • Guests claiming IBS/gastrointestinal issues, or diabetes, will be instructed on how to use the new exit-and-return lines.
  • A doctor's note saying you can't wait in lines will not be an automatic yes. Instead, you'll be transferred to speak to a registered healthcare professional about why you can't wait in line. Disney may not even read your documentation.
  • You can remind guests:
    • The new policy is designed for the small percent of the population that has developmental disabilities; it's not for everyone with any medical condition.
In talking about this, I got the sense that Disney was already overwhelmed with questions along the lines of "Why does this qualify now but not after May 20?" And their point is that if everything that counted now counted on May 20, we'd have the same system and the same problems.
Do they intend to release the exit-and-return process online for official notice, or is it going to be a matter of needing to speak with a CM?

Disney Analyst

• You can remind guests:

I mean, the only way this will work is if they are all united in messaging, and give no leeway.

Keep these cast members in your thoughts, it’s gonna be rough.

Tha Realest

• You can remind guests:
This is fascinating. Thanks so much for sharing.

I see a few pretty clear lines of demarcation here. First, obviously, is the different treatment based on type of disability (e.g., developmental disability vs those which are physical in nature), where DAS is reserved for those only with those developmental disabilities.

Second, and what’s more interesting to me, is the individualized assessment even within the developmental disability category - the notion that arriving with a formal diagnosis of, say, a form of autism or anxiety may not presumptively confer DAS eligibility, as the screening process formulated that decision.

Third, the instruction that previous DAS type disabilities (IBS or GI issues - let’s call them physical “catch all” category) will be directed to use return to line.

Overall, I’d say the most interesting aspect of this is - no pun intended - the rip off the band-aid approach. They’ve clearly recognized there is no good or optimal time to do this, and do so at a date just before Memorial Day and start of summer travel begins.* The announced changes help level-set expectations for those coming soon. And if the process set out here is the escalation process, then the fact they’ve taken away much - if not all - of the flexibility and approval mechanisms of front line and even GR cast members underscores both the rigidness of this new policy and, frankly, Disney’s confidence it will withstand some challenges.

*A certain revamped major attraction opening shortly after that date is of pure coincidence

lentesta

Premium Member
Do they intend to release the exit-and-return process online for official notice, or is it going to be a matter of needing to speak with a CM?

I don't think every line is able to be reconfigured, so it'll be something like "For the lines that offer it, the exit-and-re-enter process is this..."

I'm told that some lines are too small to be reconfigured, so you'll have to excuse yourself back through the line to get out and back to where you were. I'm not sure how that's going to work, from the perspective of "I was at this exact spot 20 minutes ago so I'm going back to there now."

The regular CMs at the line entrances will be reminding people to hit the restrooms before they get in long lines.

J4546

• You can remind guests:
This seems very reasonable

RamblinWreck

So it sounds like the first layer is the CM’s, who are basically there to find out if your claimed disability even meets the qualifying criteria (autism, etc) and then turn away everyone else who doesn’t.

And if they do have a qualifying disability, the next phase is dealing with an actual health professional before being awarded DAS?

That’s going to take a pretty dedicated liar to get through.

pigglewiggle

This has to be the most insensitive and insulting thing they could say to people with genuine issues. Like they don’t live with that worry already and it’s just irresponsible planning.

I'm sure it's just a general reminder to everyone. There are people without chronic illnesses who ask to leave the line for the restroom too.

I think your outrage is not warranted in this instance.

lazyboy97o

I'm sure it's just a general reminder to everyone. There are people without chronic illnesses who ask to leave the line for the restroom too.

It may be a general reminder but it is being implemented at the same time that they are changing the accommodation for those with such issues. They’re telling people it’s not that bad and to just go before.

pigglewiggle

It may be a general reminder but it is being implemented at the same time that they are changing the accommodation for those with such issues. They’re telling people it’s not that bad and to just go before.

Well, I'm saying as someone with one of those issues, I would not be insulted or find it insensitive as the CM would have no idea about it. I would say thank you!

I know for myself not to get in a line over 40 minutes. That's why we go early, utilize Genie + and buy LLs.

Touchdown

I do not think that anyone really has an issue with people who viably leave a line coming back by then 10-20 min later especially as they leave they let you know they will be back.

Angel Ariel

I do not think that anyone really has an issue with people who viably leave a line coming back by then 10-20 min later especially as they leave they let you know they will be back.
I doubt people are worried so much about the people who actually saw them leave so much as they're concerned about the new people who will have entered the line after they left who wouldn't have seen them leave.

Comped

Hmmm... Not exactly the language clarification I was hoping for with my specific case because cerebral palsy is considered a developmental disorder... So I guess it'll be up to Disney or the medical folks to figure that one out?

Touchdown

I doubt people are worried so much about the people who actually saw them leave so much as they're concerned about the new people who will have entered the line after they left who wouldn't have seen them leave.
The people most near the greeter CM at the end of the line? I would hope a loud announcement from the CM asking to clear a path will suffice for them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom