Rumor New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Trauma

No. The standard should be a reasonable accommodation for that class of disability.

Disney does not need to “customize” accommodations to specific needs. It can decouple and provide accommodations based on type of disability.
So you’re going to divide everyone’s disability’s into classes.

How does that account for the severity of the disability?

Just like people with Autism are on a spectrum with wildly varying requirements based on the severity, so are other types of disabilities.

Once you start dividing people into groups if your not looking at things on an individualized basis, your going to create issues for many guests.

Again your not answering the main question.

If people have medical documentation showing they need DAS, are you against them receiving accommodation if their disability is outside the scope of “developmental”?

rtmachine

We never had a DAS but have been in Das groups, mainly in the last 10 years
It seems to me that when they switched to LL "out of GREED no other reason" the lines were moving and the DAS groups were few and didn't have a long wait , compared to what they can have now in the LL .
Having a DAS now means you will still be in the LL with some serious wait times.
The Excessive cost and lines in both LL and standby have driven people to take advantage of all the loopholes to get a DAS.
Their GREED has caused this change not more need for DAS just some people abusing the system because of the long waits.

The Red Herring in all this is saying there's plenty of other rides that you don't have as long of a wait when we all know this about getting the hard to get on rides with the expensive LL's, which has been our experience with a DAS group...

Disstevefan1

Since I was asking about less than 15 min, I deleted all of them 15 and more.
I delete duplicate mentioned railroads stations.
I deleted attractions THAT NO LONGER EXIST

In reality COP is rarely 6 min, I tried to check the current wait, but the app was crashing and hanging so I gave up.

The people mover, historically a walk on in the past has been destroyed by the Genie+ system, it’s rarely less than 15 min. These days

There is no such thing as a queue for the pirate adventure, but ok, Disney calls it an attraction.

Totally agree on the tree house 😉

wdwjmp239

Just like people with Autism are on a spectrum with wildly varying requirements based on the severity, so are other types of disabilities.

Once you start dividing people into groups if your not looking at things on an individualized basis, your going to create issues for many guests.

If people have medical documentation showing they need DAS, are you against them receiving accommodation if their disability is outside the scope of “developmental”?

Autism can vary wildly. As a high school teacher, I have seen children with autism who can function normally and maybe need one or two accomodations in the classroom and then there's the other side of the spectrum where you have autism that requires every accomodation on the face of the earth.

So, how is Disney going to be able to "class" and "accomodate" different types of people with varying levels of autism? They can't. I work at school with 1800 students and maybe a quarter of that population having various degrees of autism. Disney on the other hand has hundreds of thousands guests. How are they going to say that "Guest A" can have a "virtual queue" accomodation, but "Guest B" has to stay in line or "Guest C" can skip up to 50% of the line, but not jump in front and maybe "Guest D" can just skip to the front?

@Trauma - I agree - if the paperwork justifies a DAS pass, then give it to them because in order to get the paperwork - there's a lot that's involved: psychological/physical testing, evaluations, counseling sessions, etc....it's a lot of hoops to jump through to get a "piece of paper" that says "I have a condition." It's not something you can walk into the local walk in clinic and be like, "Hey doc! I don't want to wait in long lines at Disney...can I have a pass saying I'm physically challenged?" I don't think the doctor would have the conscious to write up a B.S. diagnosis like that just based on good faith.

seabreezept813

Rider switch ain't it for DAS. Sorry. So families would not be able to enjoy rides together? DAS family now need to wait the full wait time + LL wait time for basically any ride (ok, maybe not for rides with 10-15 minute standby).

Ummm...what if the 3rd/4th person are children? Just gonna leave a child baking in the sun while he takes his wife on a ride?

People really need to think about what DAS is supposed to accomplish. Rider switch ain't it for DAS, sorry.
Agreed. Breaking up families and not letting them ride HM or Pirates together would be absurd.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Since I was asking about less than 15 min, I deleted all of them 15 and more.
I delete duplicate mentioned railroads stations.
I deleted attractions THAT NO LONGER EXIST

In reality COP is rarely 6 min, I tried to check the current wait, but the app was crashing and hanging so I gave up.

The people mover, historically a walk on in the past has been destroyed by the Genie+ system, it’s rarely less than 15 min. These days

There is no such thing as a queue for the pirate adventure, but ok, Disney calls it an attraction.

Totally agree on the tree house 😉

Aw man. That’s a sad list. The only things we’d do on it are:

Railroad
Regal Carrousel
Tom Sawyer

😭😭

Thankfully we go during low crowd times of year and can usually throw IaSW in there and sometimes Pirate’s and The speedway

Tha Realest

I’m not dividing anyone - Disney has. Severity doesn’t factor into that. By not factoring severity for, say, developmental disabilities it avoids uncomfortable and inappropriate discussions. Frankly, it’s offensive, like people who discredit how severe a type of form of autism is, or those who weigh in on how debilitating a form of Down Syndrome may be. If it’s a developmental disability, I have no objection to DAS eligibility.

I’m confused by your “medical documentation showing they need DAS” suggestion. Is there a “I need DAS” form that the AMA or the AAP has promulgated? What I or you or anyone else feels is necessary is irrelevant. Only Disney gets to decide who, or what categories, suffice for DAS eligibility. “_____ needs it” is subjective and may not be reasonable under the law. If Disney chooses to make exceptions for various physical disabilities to the point their existing accommodations are insufficient, that’s on them.

UNCgolf

COP is one of the dumbest attractions on property though. Plus it breaks down so much. Zero percent chance we’re spending Disney money to ride COP Over and Over because it’s the only line we can manage 😂😂

I know nobody’s suggesting that *

By dumbest, you mean one of the best, right?

It's one of the only attractions I absolutely have to experience whenever I visit WDW.

peter11435

COP is one of the dumbest attractions on property though. Plus it breaks down so much. Zero percent chance we’re spending Disney money to ride COP Over and Over because it’s the only line we can manage 😂😂

I know nobody’s suggesting that *
I would never suggest anyone only ride COP. But calling it dumb and saying it breaks down so much is kinda ridiculous and false.

Happyday

We decided last trip that the next trip we take we’ll make time for the riverboat. It looks really relaxing. and the queue is nice and open. We love To Sawyers Island so when we have time in that section of the park we normally spend it there.
I know this is way down on this particular thread but has anyone noticed that some of these low wait rides are "you must be ambulatory" to experience. Some people are unable to enjoy Tom Sawyer Island, Swiss Family Tree house, People mover and Peter Pans fight. Okay I know the last one is not a low wait ride it just was on my list.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom