New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Happyday

Yes, and? Every attraction you listed predates both the ADA and Florida’s own state accessibility requirements. Accessibility requirements are not uniform, there are a variety of different standards and exceptions allowed under the design guidelines and subsequent case law that has developed over the y

Yes, and? Every attraction you listed predates both the ADA and Florida’s own state accessibility requirements. Accessibility requirements are not uniform, there are a variety of different standards and exceptions allowed under the design guidelines and subsequent case law that has developed over the years.
I am not saying it shouldn't happen I am saying exactly what you said. You can't say it is all because of ADA there are multiple laws and guidelines out there. Unless you are a lawyer that specifically deals with this you never know what other standards or exemptions are out there.

Happyday

The underlying issue is the parks were not designed for and cannot operationally handle thousands of handicapped/ADA people on a single day.

Ironically, Disney has unfortunately created this problem by trying over the years to be so accommodating, which has lead them to becoming a favored place for those with these issues to visit.

Decades ago, Disneyland had “Happy Hearts Days” with discounted admission for handicapped guests. It was an operational nightmare as the ride queues, logistics, and walkways for the parks could not handle the amount of people.

It had nothing to do with not supporting or respecting the handicapped, it was a dreaded shift for any ops employee.

The situation has become that every day is Happy Hearts Day and Disney is finding themselves having to try to unravel it.

It’s the same with the scooters. The more “welcoming” you are to those that use scooters, the more you become THE place to go for scooters and now walking down Main Street is like dodging cars on I4.

Frankly, this is one of many reasons it is just more of an enjoyable experience at the Universal parks.
Well then more places need to be more accessible so we don't all go to Disney🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

Happyday

Personally I have no problem providing evidence of my conditions, it seems to be more of an American thing? I get things are personal to people but sometimes in life if you want something there's a price to pay.

Stereotypically us Brits are supposed to be always polite and amicable, believe me that's not the case. However if we require special arrangements for our health conditions we seem far more accepting of providing 'evidence' to get that. I realise that in America there's a big thing about not having to state your disability/health condition but it's not as painful to do it as some seem to think. In a perfect world, I and others would be perfectly healthy, unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world. Whilst it's not what I would call fun telling people that I suffer from Dystonia, it's just part of my life that sometimes I have to.

Having surgery 2 years ago where probes were implanted in my brain, I can no longer go through metal detectors. I've been issued a card that international airports are expected to recognise and yet when we visited Disneyland Paris last year I was advised that I needed a doctor's letter dated not more than 2 months previously to get through Disneyland security despite having a card that's recognised by international airports and that I'd also have to be physically searched. So I had to ask my neurologist to write a letter which he did to visit Disneyland.

The funny thing was that when we got to Disneyland security they just sent me through the CM entrance which is at the side of the security checkpoint. Not only did they wave away my letter that I'd had to obtain but they barely looked at my card the airports checked. Also there was no search of me whatsoever, no pat down, no questions and no emptying pockets or anything else. This happened on all 3 visits with different security people every time.

I also am often asked by the airlines to provide proof of my Dystonia when requesting an aisle seat to allow my arm to be able to stretch out into the aisle to avoid as much cramping as I would otherwise get during a 9-10 hour flight. Again this doesn't really bother me as it just seems like the simple thing to do to get what helps me.

I'm rambling off topic her and apologies for doing so. My point is it always strikes me as a completely different viewpoint from you wonderful American people I visit every year when I read people on here getting so passionate about not having to tell others what your disability is when requesting things needed because of it. It's not a criticism, just an observation.
This is the fault of HIPPA not sure why they put it in effect but it just gives people the mind set of they can't ask personal questions 🤷🏻‍♀️

KDM31091

The underlying issue is the parks were not designed for and cannot operationally handle thousands of handicapped/ADA people on a single day.

Ironically, Disney has unfortunately created this problem by trying over the years to be so accommodating, which has lead them to becoming a favored place for those with these issues to visit.

Decades ago, Disneyland had “Happy Hearts Days” with discounted admission for handicapped guests. It was an operational nightmare as the ride queues, logistics, and walkways for the parks could not handle the amount of people.

It had nothing to do with not supporting or respecting the handicapped, it was a dreaded shift for any ops employee.

The situation has become that every day is Happy Hearts Day and Disney is finding themselves having to try to unravel it.

It’s the same with the scooters. The more “welcoming” you are to those that use scooters, the more you become THE place to go for scooters and now walking down Main Street is like dodging cars on I4.

Frankly, this is one of many reasons it is just more of an enjoyable experience at the Universal parks.
Exactly. There are simply far too many people on a daily basis.

mergatroid

Honestly, while I'd prefer not to do so, I will when I have to for DD. That said, what bothers me most about it is her diagnosis means nothing to most doctors as they haven't heard of it. It's incredibly rare. I've been gaslit multiple times by medical professionals because they didn't know what it was and assumed I was spouting something from webmd/google. With medical records in their hands. So I don't have much faith in anyone having her diagnosis and it somehow making our lives easier to do that, when it's often made things more difficult. A conversation about her needs is for more effective than one about her diagnosis.
No I get that. As a child when my dystonia started at age 6 it took a few years to diagnose it. Along that route a psychologist declared there was nothing wrong with me and that I was faking it for attention, I wasn't and after observations in hospital they realised that. Throughout my life I've had countless medical professionals contradict each other and seen some who clearly don't have the knowledge of others. Sadly there are complex medical conditions and factors that don't all tick the boxes that allow life to be simple and I'm sorry your DD is in that category.

Again my post was more about the differences that stand out between the two nationalities. Often on here the right not to have to explain your conditions is passionately defended even for the most straightforward of things such as a broken leg (that's a made up example to make my point). It's not a criticism but more an observation. I wish your daughter a wonderful life. I have a wonderful life despite my dystonia, I laugh every day and do lots of things physically that people assume I probably wouldn't. Life is great despite physical limitations and I hope your daughter finds as much happiness as I have in mine.

Chi84

Premium Member
This is the fault of HIPPA not sure why they put it in effect but it just gives people the mind set of they can't ask personal questions 🤷🏻‍♀️
HIPAA (not HIPPA) is the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act and has nothing to do with this. You are probably thinking about provisions of the ADA, the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Wendy Pleakley

Personally I have no problem providing evidence of my conditions, it seems to be more of an American thing? I get things are personal to people but sometimes in life if you want something there's a price to pay.

Stereotypically us Brits are supposed to be always polite and amicable, believe me that's not the case. However if we require special arrangements for our health conditions we seem far more accepting of providing 'evidence' to get that. I realise that in America there's a big thing about not having to state your disability/health condition but it's not as painful to do it as some seem to think. In a perfect world, I and others would be perfectly healthy, unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world. Whilst it's not what I would call fun telling people that I suffer from Dystonia, it's just part of my life that sometimes I have to.

Having surgery 2 years ago where probes were implanted in my brain, I can no longer go through metal detectors. I've been issued a card that international airports are expected to recognise and yet when we visited Disneyland Paris last year I was advised that I needed a doctor's letter dated not more than 2 months previously to get through Disneyland security despite having a card that's recognised by international airports and that I'd also have to be physically searched. So I had to ask my neurologist to write a letter which he did to visit Disneyland.

The funny thing was that when we got to Disneyland security they just sent me through the CM entrance which is at the side of the security checkpoint. Not only did they wave away my letter that I'd had to obtain but they barely looked at my card the airports checked. Also there was no search of me whatsoever, no pat down, no questions and no emptying pockets or anything else. This happened on all 3 visits with different security people every time.

I also am often asked by the airlines to provide proof of my Dystonia when requesting an aisle seat to allow my arm to be able to stretch out into the aisle to avoid as much cramping as I would otherwise get during a 9-10 hour flight. Again this doesn't really bother me as it just seems like the simple thing to do to get what helps me.

I'm rambling off topic her and apologies for doing so. My point is it always strikes me as a completely different viewpoint from you wonderful American people I visit every year when I read people on here getting so passionate about not having to tell others what your disability is when requesting things needed because of it. It's not a criticism, just an observation.

The requirement to accommodate without asking for proof, I believe, comes down to ensuring people can receive the assistance they need in any given situation without being told to go away and get a note.

For WDW, they could require proof with minimal risk by making the requirement clear when buying a ticket. They could still provide last minute accommodation in one off cases, and flag that person's account if possible to say they've been advised of the requirement for future visits.

I don't know why anyone would be opposed to providing documentation. One has to state to Disney if and why they need an accommodation, so there's no reason a doctor's note would be any more intrusive or a privacy issue.

Where I work, if one has a medical condition that requires an accommodation or absence, the documentation requested answers what is the needed accommodation? The actual diagnosis is not shared with the employer. It balances privacy with the requirement to confirm a need.

Dude… accessibility is not a topic of ‘if its humanly possible’

Could the handicap parking spots be put further away and the handicap person still be able to make the longer journey before they pass out? Yes…. But that’s not a justification to say ‘the spots don’t need to be so close’

Accessibility is not just the minimum to ensure something can be done - it’s also about INCLUSION

Maybe able bodied people shouldn’t be allowed to ride the trams. I mean… you CAN make the walk if you really had to…
While I don't disagree with your premise, that philosophy only works if you believe everyone at face value with the true reason they are in the program.

Unfortunately, many people put on an act when it comes to the Lightning Lane aspect of justifying their need of the pass but in reality, can and choose to function like every other normal guest when the accommodation is not applicable.

I personally would not be questioning to the degree that I am if there was not so much blatant fraud and abuse with this program. When the amount enrolled in the program is triple what it probably should be by Disney’s metrics, it is fair game to question people who by their actions demonstrate that they are more likely than not to abusing the program.

The program is changing due to the abuse of it, and it is counterproductive to not recognize that inclusion does not extend to people who take resources away from those in need of a particular resource because other people feel entitled to the same perks without having to endure the hardships of that lifestyle on a more permanent basis.

The DAS process and how to obtain it needs to shift away from being a low risk and high reward yield if you can win the game and earn the cheat codes. This accommodation was meant, as you said, to be inclusive for the people who legitimately need the service and not people who want a way to access Lightning Lane without paying.

Brian

Where I work, if one has a medical condition that requires an accommodation or absence, the documentation requested answers what is the needed accommodation? The actual diagnosis is not shared with the employer. It balances privacy with the requirement to confirm a need.
Just to add some context here: the employer provisions of the ADA (subchapter I) are different from the public accommodations provisions (subchapter III). Neither actually address documentation, but the EEOC laid out the ground rules for it in the employer/employee relationship in an enforcement guidance. I don't believe the DOJ has done the same for public accommodations.

Okay but you can't lump it all together as well. Some people have legitimate anxiety in some situations and not others.
While that is definitely true and everyone's situation is different, there are also a large group of people who will play the anxiety card if they think it will work. I think Disney bringing in health professionals will help sort through the legitimate cases and weed out the people who think they can get by with telling a fake story and hoping it qualifies them.

lazyboy97o

The requirement to accommodate without asking for proof, I believe, comes down to ensuring people can receive the assistance they need in any given situation without being told to go away and get a note.

For WDW, they could require proof with minimal risk by making the requirement clear when buying a ticket. They could still provide last minute accommodation in one off cases, and flag that person's account if possible to say they've been advised of the requirement for future visits.

I don't know why anyone would be opposed to providing documentation. One has to state to Disney if and why they need an accommodation, so there's no reason a doctor's note would be any more intrusive or a privacy issue.

How is buying a ticket for an amusement park materially different than buying one for another event where the Department of Justice specifically states documents cannot be requested?

Wendy Pleakley

How is buying a ticket for an amusement park materially different than buying one for another event where the Department of Justice specifically states documents cannot be requested?

It's not different legally, but an amusement park is the rare case where having a disability can give one an "advantage".

This is the million dollar question. How do you provide accommodation when proof cannot be requested, given the consequence that cheaters will overload the system?

I understand why proof is not a requirement, but lots of people say they'd be happy to provide it because it would weed out the cheaters and actually allow them to be accommodated.

Maybe the laws can be adjusted based on different scenarios. Since an amusement park is an optional activity, documentation could be required. As opposed to being denied service at a grocery store for example.

lazyboy97o

It's not different legally, but an amusement park is the rare case where having a disability can give one an "advantage".

This is the million dollar question. How do you provide accommodation when proof cannot be requested, given the consequence that cheaters will overload the system?

I understand why proof is not a requirement, but lots of people say they'd be happy to provide it because it would weed out the cheaters and actually allow them to be accommodated.

Maybe the laws can be adjusted based on different scenarios. Since an amusement park is an optional activity, documentation could be required. As opposed to being denied service at a grocery store for example.
A big part of the purpose behind accessible legislation was to open up optional activities.

Disney would have to demonstrate necessity. Too many disabled people like it here isn’t much of an argument, especially when disability and participation have been increasing.

Chi84

Premium Member
Again, HIPPA is not a thing. HIPAA was passed 1996, years after the ADA outlawed unnecessary documentation.
Agreed, except I would qualify that by saying the ADA limited and defined the type of documentation that can be requested and by which entities. It does prohibit businesses from requiring documentation in the areas of accessible seating and service animals.

Jrb1979

Amy from Touringplans visited MK and talked to guest services about the changes. Some of the answers she received were interesting. They said they were serious about the developmental disabilities requirement. Another that the return to line pass/ language not sure yet, would not be a guest services thing but an attractions cast thing. She said boots on the ground people. So to me that sounds like it’s not really an accommodation but will be available to all at the moment needed in lines.

The Colonel

I'm a little confused by:

Notably, Disney has dramatically narrowed the scope of eligibility and now says that DAS is for guests with a "developmental disability like autism or similar."

Surely that can't be all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom