New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Angel Ariel

This exactly. Believe it or not no one is forcing you to go to Disney world.
For many it has been a sole (or one of very few) places of refuge. People are allowed to have feelings about what this change may mean for them, and want to process those feelings with a group of people who are more likely to understand.

It's really unnecessary to tell people they can just choose not to go. Do you really think they don't know that? That they don't make those choices and decisions every day?

KDM31091

For many it has been a sole (or one of very few) places of refuge. People are allowed to have feelings about what this change may mean for them, and want to process those feelings with a group of people who are more likely to understand.

It's really unnecessary to tell people they can just choose not to go. Do you really think they don't know that? That they don't make those choices and decisions every day?
Again, no matter what Disney does someone is going to be unhappy about it. That’s why I say if someone is that unhappy, don’t go. This applies just the same to people complaining about LL cost; don’t buy it then, no one is forcing you.

Touchdown

Before everyone declares the sky is falling can we first at least see what is going to offered by Disney? Declaring that things must stay exactly as they are now and anything else is completely unfair comes off as entitled. Let them roll this out first, then decide if it’s unfair.

Trauma

Many people go to Disney BECAUSE of the accommodations. It’s one a the few places in the world they felt welcomed and respected.

When I go places with my Grandpa people either have no idea how to help at all so just ignore him, or act like he is a huge inconvenience. At Disney he was met with smiling faces cheering him on.

People don’t realize when so much gets taken from you due to health reasons just how much somewhere you feel welcome means.

I fear that time has passed.

My Grandpa has now become a huge inconvenience to Disney. “Stealing” a place in line from someone who is paying for it.

TrainsOfDisney

Many people go to Disney BECAUSE of the accommodations. It’s one a the few places in the world they felt welcomed and respected.
Agreed. It’s the little things like knowing you can get an interpreter at shows, knowing you can easily get an allergy menu at any food location and they are happy to modify anything for you on the spot - this doesn’t happen in the real world!

DisneyCane

The problem with the question is this.

Person A has a physical disability preventing them from waiting in line.

Person B has autism.

So if both conditions are 100% legitimate with documentation, what makes person B more important ?

So unless your suggesting that autistic people shouldn’t go to Disney, it seems like a troubling question to ask.
They shouldn't be different from the standpoint of providing accommodations. Part of why I think these policies are so autism/spectrum focused is that #1, for whatever reason, the incidence of spectrum disorders seems to have grown exponentially. I remember when Dan Marino's son was diagnosed with autism and the general reaction was "what's autism?"

Now it seems like it's rare for people to have multiple children and not have one with autism (I know the stat's aren't that high but that's how it seems sometimes). Disney, having families with children as their primary target audience will, therefore, have a lot of children with autism in the parks on any given day.

Second is that a physical disability doesn't negatively effect the other people in line. When an autistic child who can't handle a long queue gets triggered and acts out it creates a miserable situation for people near them. I've dealt with this a few times when my wife and I took our autistic nephew somewhere like a small water park with very short waits.

I am genuinely curious about what type of physical disability prevents somebody from being able to wait in a line but can't be mitigated by the person using a wheel chair or ECV in the queues (most of them by this point) that can accommodate those things.

Angel Ariel

Again, no matter what Disney does someone is going to be unhappy about it. That’s why I say if someone is that unhappy, don’t go. This applies just the same to people complaining about LL cost; don’t buy it then, no one is forcing you.
Where did I argue with that?

All I'm saying is it's insensitive, at best, to keep spouting that here. Everyone is well aware that's an option. People are looking to connect - that's what boards like this are for. Yes, some will end up unhappy. And when that happens we all appreciate having someone to vent to in one way or another. It's condescending to keep telling people to basically be quiet and just don't go. To be clear, I'm not saying that's your or anyone else's intent - but again, everyone knows that's an option. It doesn't need to be beaten over their heads.

Happyday

I realize the ADA gets to specify that they must provide reasonable access and accommodations. However, does that extend to allowing DAS users to skip wait times? Or only in certain situations? I was under the impression ADA is only really concerned with it being accessible, not really how long you must wait to ride.
I understand your comment however I need to point out that individuals who can't walk are exempt from attractions at WDW specifically Peter Pan's flight, People mover, Tom Sawyer Island and obviously Swiss Family tree house to name the ones that come to mind.

Disstevefan1

It's Disney's business. They get to decide how it's being implemented and used. What's that old saying that gets trotted out here frequently? Oh yes ~ if you don't like it, don't go.
Be careful what you wish for Disney, you may just get it. ;) See EPIC Universe.

Angel Ariel

Before everyone declares the sky is falling can we first at least see what is going to offered by Disney? Declaring that things must stay exactly as they are now and anything else is completely unfair comes off as entitled. Let them roll this out first, then decide if it’s unfair.
Is there some sky is falling happening here? Sure. Did Disney utterly fail in their messaging in putting this out? Absolutely. If Disney had released this WITH more information about how other disabilities would be accommodated, this thread would be a lot shorter.

I haven't been one declaring things must stay as they are. I know the abuse is real and I accept changes need to be made. I won't know how this impacts us as a family until we go again. I accept that. And. I have a lot of empathy - especially for those whose trips are soon - for those who have concerns and are sharing their fears. Again, Disney could have alleviated all of this by sharing better information. That's a messaging failure on their part.

Happyday

I do think it’s interesting that most people reporting on the changes are focusing on the “lifetime ban” verbiage as if it’s something new or an escalation. It’s literally always been there.
AMEN 💯 This is what I keep saying when I see this as well especially when a news outlet not associated with Disney makes a big deal about it.

lazyboy97o

I understand your comment however I need to point out that individuals who can't walk are exempt from attractions at WDW specifically Peter Pan's flight, People mover, Tom Sawyer Island and obviously Swiss Family tree house to name the ones that come to mind.
Yes, and? Every attraction you listed predates both the ADA and Florida’s own state accessibility requirements. Accessibility requirements are not uniform, there are a variety of different standards and exceptions allowed under the design guidelines and subsequent case law that has developed over the years.

mergatroid

Personally I have no problem providing evidence of my conditions, it seems to be more of an American thing? I get things are personal to people but sometimes in life if you want something there's a price to pay.

Stereotypically us Brits are supposed to be always polite and amicable, believe me that's not the case. However if we require special arrangements for our health conditions we seem far more accepting of providing 'evidence' to get that. I realise that in America there's a big thing about not having to state your disability/health condition but it's not as painful to do it as some seem to think. In a perfect world, I and others would be perfectly healthy, unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world. Whilst it's not what I would call fun telling people that I suffer from Dystonia, it's just part of my life that sometimes I have to.

Having surgery 2 years ago where probes were implanted in my brain, I can no longer go through metal detectors. I've been issued a card that international airports are expected to recognise and yet when we visited Disneyland Paris last year I was advised that I needed a doctor's letter dated not more than 2 months previously to get through Disneyland security despite having a card that's recognised by international airports and that I'd also have to be physically searched. So I had to ask my neurologist to write a letter which he did to visit Disneyland.

The funny thing was that when we got to Disneyland security they just sent me through the CM entrance which is at the side of the security checkpoint. Not only did they wave away my letter that I'd had to obtain but they barely looked at my card the airports checked. Also there was no search of me whatsoever, no pat down, no questions and no emptying pockets or anything else. This happened on all 3 visits with different security people every time.

I also am often asked by the airlines to provide proof of my Dystonia when requesting an aisle seat to allow my arm to be able to stretch out into the aisle to avoid as much cramping as I would otherwise get during a 9-10 hour flight. Again this doesn't really bother me as it just seems like the simple thing to do to get what helps me.

I'm rambling off topic her and apologies for doing so. My point is it always strikes me as a completely different viewpoint from you wonderful American people I visit every year when I read people on here getting so passionate about not having to tell others what your disability is when requesting things needed because of it. It's not a criticism, just an observation.

Last edited:

Purduevian

Does this mean DAS is only for developmental disabilities now? Not for physical disabilities? What are those of us with the physical disability to stand in a line supposed to do?
I do not know what Disney's plan is. However, my Father in Law hurt his knee on our DHS day and was unable to stand for more than ~15 minutes or walk more that ~10 minutes. I knew DAS existed and explained the situation to the blue umbrella person.

The accommodation that we could have received was that in each land/on major E-ticket rides, they have wheelchairs they can bring out and the person can sit down/standup while in line using the wheel chair, then leave it with a cast member while boarding the ride.

This was a fair accommodation that would have allowed my FIL to ride any ride with us all day. He did refuse to use the wheel chair and thus chilled at Baseline tab house and watched beauty and the beast while the rest of us rode rides.

I don't know if this would fit your needs, but it is an option available today.

Comped

Personally I have no problem providing evidence of my conditions, it seems to be more of an American thing? I get things are personal to people but sometimes in life if you want something there's a price to pay.

Stereotypically us Brits are supposed to be always polite and amicable, believe me that's not the case. However if we require special arrangements for our health conditions we seem far more accepting of providing 'evidence' to get that. I realise that in America there's a big thing about not having to state your disability/health condition but it's not as painful to do it as some seem to think. In a perfect world, I and others would be perfectly healthy, unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world. Whilst it's not what I would call fun telling people that I suffer from Dystonia, it's just part of my life that sometimes I have to.

Having surgery 2 years ago where probes were implanted in my brain, I can no longer go through metal detectors. I've been issued a card that international airports are expected to recognise and yet when we visited Disneyland Paris last year I was advised that I needed a doctor's letter dated not more than 2 months previously to get through Disneyland security despite having a card that's recognised by international airports and that I'd also have to be physically searched. So I had to ask my neurologist to write a letter which he did to visit Disneyland.

The funny thing was that when we got to Disneyland security they just sent me through the CM entrance which is at the side of the security checkpoint. Not only did they wave away my letter that I'd had to obtain but they barely looked at my card the airports checked. Also there was no search of me whatsoever, no pat down, no questions and no emptying pockets or anything else. This happened on all 3 visits with different security people every time.

I also am often asked by the airlines to provide proof of my Dystonia when requested an aisle seat to allow my arm to be able to stretch out into the aisle to avoid as much cramping as I would otherwise get during a 9-10 hour flight. Again this doesn't really bother me as it just seems like the simple thing to do to get what helps me.

I'm rambling off topic her and apologies for doing so. My point is it always strikes me as a completely different viewpoint from you wonderful American people I visit every year when I read people on here getting so passionate about not having to tell others what your disability is when requesting things needed because of it. It's not a criticism, just an observation.
I have no issue providing proof (Disney's never taken it)! Third party companies just make me wary.

Disstevefan1

This is an entertaining thread that will make absolutely no difference in what Disney does.
That said, I will keep reading.
EatingPopcorn.gif

Splash4eva

Im curious does anyone have an idea how this return to queue would work? Do you return to your spot in line originally or do you go back to the point you were at and lose out on the time you were no longer there? If you are riding solo etc?

Angel Ariel

when I read people on here getting so passionate about not having to tell others what your disability is when requesting things needed because of it. It's not a criticism, just an observation.
Honestly, while I'd prefer not to do so, I will when I have to for DD. That said, what bothers me most about it is her diagnosis means nothing to most doctors as they haven't heard of it. It's incredibly rare. I've been gaslit multiple times by medical professionals because they didn't know what it was and assumed I was spouting something from webmd/google. With medical records in their hands. So I don't have much faith in anyone having her diagnosis and it somehow making our lives easier to do that, when it's often made things more difficult. A conversation about her needs is for more effective than one about her diagnosis.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom