New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

DisneyHead123

Honestly, there's all kinds of issues with medical documentation. Especially in a country like ours where healthcare isn't as accessible as it needs to be in the first place. It took me a week of back and forth with DD's ped to get the documentation for IBCCES/universal. Thankfully in our plan it was all free, and electronic so very accessible - but I know that isn't the case for all.

Plus, there are shady docs who will just sign off on anything. I hate to say that, but there are. And people who will fake documentation.

Medical documentation for this is to be a bit like TSA - theatre more than actual protection.

I agree with what you’re saying and yet I don’t have any other ideas. Maybe if they accepted IEPs that would help with some of the medical accessibility aspect.

jennab55

Just wanted to share, that I asked about his accommodation at several rides, before entering the queue, and some CM's gave me the blank state. I asked multiple ways if there was a way to leave the queue if I had a medical need to leave, and I was told I'd have to go to the back of the line if I had to left the queue. The Tron CM's were especially clueless.

The CM's at some rides were better, like small world. I only asked at a few rides because the parks were pretty empty. (We used LL passes, and/or did short queue attractions, and/or I forgot to ask.)

In many cases, I thought about the idea of exiting queues, and getting out of many queues would be really difficult, and not really feasible for anyone using a wheelchair or EVC.

Speaking of Tron, anyone using an ECV has to transfer to a wheelchair. but the provided wheelchairs are very wide with bulky footrests. We watched as someone tried to go through the Tron queue, and there are several spots where the Tron queue appeared to be too narrow and angled for the wheelchair to fit. Maybe technically the hall is wide enough (1/2inch?), but it did not appear to have enough space (due to the abrupt angles of the queue) for a person to remain seated in the wheelchair. From what we saw, the person had to walk and the wheelchair had to be partly closed to fit through the queue.
Was this recent or when the changed first came out?

DisneyHead123

Almost every kid nowadays has or can have an iep its joke how the nyc doe hands them out…
Well Google tells me that 1 in 6 children have a developmental disability, so I would expect a lot of IEPs. And again, I know that going with professional paperwork has a lot of issues, but I don’t have any other ideas on how to weed out cheaters.

Splash4eva

Well Google tells me that 1 in 6 children have a developmental disability, so I would expect a lot of IEPs. And again, I know that going with professional paperwork has a lot of issues, but I don’t have any other ideas on how to weed out cheaters.
All im saying is just bc someone has an iep it shouldnt grant access…. The easiest and best way is simple always has been always will be. Demand documentation or go to the 3rd party system where proof is somewhat needed…. Im on record countless times as a DAS user i have NO issue providing any documentation they need with my issues and concerns backed by a Dr providing said information etc… honestly anyone who has legit issues should feel the same way. Disney and all these other places have a business to run and if someone wants an accommodation there needs to be some proof imo.

jennab55

But it’s not just the cheaters. That are too many people that have a disability, disorder, or other medical needs. So having people submit paperwork about having a medical need isn’t going to help either. We’d be back to where we were before.

jennab55

I think Disney is going to stick with restricting DAS to people who are unable to wait in a conventional line as the result of a developmental disability. I doubt they’ll start asking for documentation unless the current system is not sufficient to weed out cheaters.
Yes, otherwise there are just too many people who believe they need DAS. They have drawn a line in the sand and it seems to be the “always” and the “sometimes” groups.

Last edited:

Splash4eva

But it’s not just the cheaters. That are too many people that have a disability, disorder, or other medical needs. So having people submit paperwork about having a medical need isn’t going to help either. We’d be back to where we were before.
Disagree. Disney/3rd party can then decide who qualifies and what they qualify for. Its really not that hard if done correctly

Vegas Disney Fan

I think Disney is going to stick with restricting DAS to people who are unable to wait in a conventional line as the result of a developmental disability. I doubt they’ll start asking for documentation unless the current system is not sufficient to weed out cheaters.
I agree except I think any changes will result from being too strict and losing too many guests rather than there being too many cheaters, if people with legitimate disabilities can’t even qualify cheaters aren’t going to qualify either.

I still think Paris has a much better system, they require specific documentation to qualify and have different levels of access based on each qualifying condition.

Chi84

Premium Member
I agree except I think any changes will result from being too strict and losing too many guests rather than there being too many cheaters, if people with legitimate disabilities can’t even qualify cheaters aren’t going to qualify either.

I still think Paris has a much better system, they require specific documentation to qualify and have different levels of access based on each qualifying condition.
Paris has different laws. The ADA limits who can ask for documentation and what kind. Those limits are being tested in a lawsuit against Six Flags.

I don’t think Disney is going to lose too many guests based on restricting DAS. Many of the people who are denied will try to make do with the paid system. I think Disney is trying to limit DAS to a very specific group of people.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Paris has different laws. The ADA limits who can ask for documentation and what kind. Those limits are being tested in a lawsuit against Six Flags.

I don’t think Disney is going to lose too many guests based on restricting DAS. Many of the people who are denied will try to make do with the paid system. I think Disney is trying to limit DAS to a very specific group of people.

I also think it’s a solid point that not everyone who used DAS needed that specific accommodation. I will say though that glad I’m not in the position to decide one way or another. I don’t envy the CMs

jaklgreen

Almost every kid nowadays has or can have an iep its joke how the nyc doe hands them out…
This was a few years ago, but the school tried to label my daughter with learning disabilities because she is bad at math. They wanted to test her and we said fine, she scored above average. Not everyone is good at everything and some of us just struggle with certain subjects. They were angry that we wouldn't allow them to put her in the system as someone with a learning disability, because she didn't have one. They get more money from the government for these kids.
Everyone learns in different ways, that doesn't mean that they have a learning disability.

jaklgreen

Has anyone heard what they are doing with solo travelers that need to get out of the line? It has been a couple of months now and I have not heard of any first hand accounts of how they are handling this.

DisneyDreamer08

Has anyone heard what they are doing with solo travelers that need to get out of the line? It has been a couple of months now and I have not heard of any first hand accounts of how they are handling this.
I heard in another group that they asked a solo traveler to take a picture of where they were in the queue and then show a cast member the picture when re-entering.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom