New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Um, she had accessibility, she just didn't want to use it because she didn't want to split from her group. She wasn't asking to be approved for the DAS, she was asking for a discounted Genie+ so that she doesn't have to split from her group.

Disney is under no legal obligation to provide the preferred accommodation, just an accommodation.
I have the same accommodation as her.

Let me tell you how it has happened: guests actively and maliciously block me from joining the rest of my group, or CM's just don't care.

That's not an accommodation if it doesn't work.

NotTheOne

I have the same accommodation as her.

Let me tell you how it has happened: guests actively and maliciously block me from joining the rest of my group, or CM's just don't care.

That's an accommodation if it doesn't work.
Interesting, because the examples I've seen with people who waited outside the queue (non-DAS) was that there were permitted to use the LL to join their party at the merge.

Did you ask the CM about that?

jaklgreen

Um, she had accessibility, she just didn't want to use it because she didn't want to split from her group. She wasn't asking to be approved for the DAS, she was asking for a discounted Genie+ so that she doesn't have to split from her group.

Disney is under no legal obligation to provide the preferred accommodation, just an accommodation.
What is wrong with offering a yearly discount for Genie+ for those with disabilities that go often? If Genie+ is one of the accommodations that Disney wants those with disabilities to use instead of DAS, then why do you care if they get a discount? After all, able bodied people don't NEED Genie+ but the disabled absolutely do need some kind of accommodation. And it is not unreasonable to want to stay with your group. If you didn't want to hang out with your friends and family, you would go alone. I can't fathom why anyone thinks that being able to stay with your group is somehow a bad thing or unreasonable.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Interesting, because the examples I've seen with people who waited outside the queue (non-DAS) was that there were permitted to use the LL to join their party at the merge.

Did you ask the CM about that?

I did. There have been some successes (and a few instances of a CM going above and beyond) but mostly not, with other guests flat out blocking my path to join my party at the merge and CM's who don't care and are disinterested in helping.

NotTheOne

I did. There have been some successes (and a few instances of a CM going above and beyond) but mostly not, with other guests flat out blocking my path to join my party at the merge and CM's who don't care and are disinterested in helping.
Blocking your path in the LL or standby? Meaning, if you're permitted to go through LL, I'm not sure why you would go back through standby. And if you're going through LL, not sure why you would be going past people.

Splash4eva

What is wrong with offering a yearly discount for Genie+ for those with disabilities that go often? If Genie+ is one of the accommodations that Disney wants those with disabilities to use instead of DAS, then why do you care if they get a discount? After all, able bodied people don't NEED Genie+ but the disabled absolutely do need some kind of accommodation. And it is not unreasonable to want to stay with your group. If you didn't want to hang out with your friends and family, you would go alone. I can't fathom why anyone thinks that being able to stay with your group is somehow a bad thing or unreasonable.
Its what has crippled the system have so many in your party… asking for discounts while other pay full price is downright comical. This coming from someone who has DAS.

Last edited:

NotTheOne

Because staying with your party is not a required accommodation. Non-disabled parties have to split up all the time for various reasons.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So naturally the only reason a disabled young lady would share her story was for “instagram fame” - it’s always the disabled they blame.
Step back for a minute...

She's asking that the company give her discounted product... so she can goto a theme park more often.. like a dozen times a year.

Keep some perspective... she's not asking to be included... she's not asking for access... She's not asking to not be homeless... She's asking for the company to give her a break on paid access to line skipping in a theme park.

Angel Ariel

Yes, she has her 15 minutes of fame now...and still no explanation as to why she can't wait in a standby line or wait outside the queue while her party waits in line.
The USA Today article that picked this up has quotes from her saying:

"One reason she said she can’t wait in long lines is because she has a trach that needs to be suctioned when she gets congested.

“Getting suctioned in a conventional line isn't what I would feel comfortable with. It’s very loud. It's an intrusive process,” she said."
______

It's not clear from her statement if she's able to suction her trach herself, or if she needs assistance with that.

*Please note: I am not taking a position on whether or not she should get DAS, just sharing further information I read elsewhere related to the quote I quoted.

NotTheOne

"One reason she said she can’t wait in long lines is because she has a trach that needs to be suctioned when she gets congested.

“Getting suctioned in a conventional line isn't what I would feel comfortable with. It’s very loud. It's an intrusive process,” she said."
______

It's not clear from her statement if she's able to suction her trach herself, or if she needs assistance with that.

*Please note: I am not taking a position on whether or not she should get DAS, just sharing further information I read elsewhere related to the quote I quoted.
Thank you...interesting that she never noted that in her original video, just pointedly asking for discounted Genie+.

And if she's concerned about waiting the length of standby, she can wait outside the line and join her party...

Angel Ariel

As for the discounted genie+ thing - keep in mind this woman is a Disneyland regular, not WDW. Certain levels of AP holders at Disneyland *were* able to buy an annual MaxPass for $125/year vs paying each time they went to the park. It's been a few days since I watched her video, but from what I recall she was basically asking for a genie+ version of what that used to be.

ETA: again, not passing judgment on whether that should be done or not, just sharing that there's precedent for Disneyland AP holders to get discounted access to paid line skipping. I've heard similar requests from non-disabled Disneyland regulars to have something like that re-instituted - esp since the announcement of LLMP for WDW.

jennab55

______

Interesting as I hadn’t seen a reason posted anywhere. But that appears to be one of those “could happen anywhere at any time” reasons, so it makes sense if she was denied and offered the leave the queue option. The same thing could happen to her in the LL line or anywhere else at Disney (or elsewhere).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom