New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

pdude81

Even able bodied guests get tired and need to sit down. This is a weird take.
What I'm saying is that if they add more benches in response to DAS restrictions, it won't necessarily help anyone that's disabled. The first part of what you quoted shows that I'm in favor of them for all guests.

Happyday

The video chat has been going on i think 3 years now ive done it… they ask you why you feel you need DAS. I tell them exactly why i feel i need and my issues and they say okay approved. How is that changing
Yes I know they have had it for a while again it will be the ONLY way to get it, I saw someone post that they were denied on the video chat but went to Guest relations and were given a DAS. I am hopeful that they train the video chat cast members to weed out those 'scamming' the system. Like I said it is just a thought and hope.

Trauma

I'm so very happy that they're doing something about this. I truly believe that only people with real disabilities should use DAS. My wife was telling me today at lunch where she has read on reddit where people believe since they have ailments and totally non-disabilities such as IBS that it is a legitimate excuse to skip the line
That’s not what’s happening here.

Lots of people with legitimate disabilities will now be excluded.

Disney will have an even greater surge in children with autism.

What makes you think the cheaters are going to stop ?

This only hurts people who used this legitimately.

The cheaters are still going to cheat.

AEfx

Original Poster
The physical issues have always been weird to me...So if I'm missing a leg(and can't hop down a full queue) and "refuse" to use a provided wheelchair then I can just get DAS and skip the line?
Just a fact to throw out there on this - many people in wheelchairs would love to be able to just wheel on in to the line like everyone else. Especially since the queues are often such a part of the experience.

The issue is, the majority of Disney rides simply aren't designed to allow that to happen. That's why people who are in wheelchairs get taken to the exit on many rides, as it's the only place Disney allows them to board.

Splash4eva

Yes I know they have had it for a while again it will be the ONLY way to get it, I saw someone post that they were denied on the video chat but went to Guest relations and were given a DAS. I am hopeful that they train the video chat cast members to weed out those 'scamming' the system. Like I said it is just a thought and hope.
They literally gave a blue print on what is acceptable. Who is to stop anyone who needs it and gets denied to call back again and say their child has autism / adhd and behavioral issues etc where no proof is needed… they are literally cutting out things that were acceptable as a legit reason and denying people access for a money grab. Heck. At this point i know its illegal but charge for DAS access bc heck as people have stated even myself there are “advanatages” if you know how to work the system to its fullest

Tha Realest

This brings up a question that is of course contentious, but what is the limit for disability accommodations and are there cases or limits where a theme park just isn't appropriate for some people?

Someone said that a theme park is, by definition, a place where you will be waiting in line for much of the time. When should someone say, this isn't a place for me?

There have been lawsuits asking for accommodation above and beyond. Arguments that autistic kids should be able to do what they want whenever they want with no wait times ever. Walking by Peter Pan and the kid wants to do it right now? Walk on in. Kid wants to ride Pooh for an hour without getting off? That must be allowed. If that is what is necessary for that kid to experience Disney on their terms, is that reasonable?
Absolutely not. Glad they are changing this.

Dranth

How does this crack down?!? If the wording is correct & accurate its literally limiting people who 100% need it & as you said allowing someone who lies about an autistic child access….
The process of getting one for the people who lie is now more difficult. There are also listed punishments that hopefully Disney will follow through with to help curtail those who are willing to try abuse the system.

Obviously, Disney has to do this right, including the other part of the system with the line return. If they do it wrong then they are screwing over a bunch of people who need it. If they do it right then hopefully everyone who does need it is covered and the abuse is cut down. Eventually it will rise back up because people suck and Disney will have to make more changes.

The only way this gets a permanent fix is if the feds update laws to allow for a more strict and uniform structure that companies can use to target abusers and I don't see that happening anytime soon or having the support to try it at all. So, for now we are sort of stuck playing around in the limits of the ADA and trying different things to deter people.

Vclguy90

But to play devil's advocate, if anyone was paying for Genie+, especially on a day where the price is at its highest, why would those people want the line saturated with a high number of people who scammed their way into the DAS program so they can avoid paying for the service. It’s extremely unfair that one family might have to pay $200 for their family to use a more limited Genie+ they pay top dollar for while others lied their way in and besides getting it for free, now make the wait longer for those who are paying.

This problem has clearly gotten out of hand and the fact that it has been confirmed that many of these cases of abuse are Cast Members and DCP demonstrates that they need to rein it in and go back to square one.
Line saturated? How so? All these DAS people have kept lightning lane available and not sold out so you can purchase it. What's the issue? Why does everyone think that the more DAS people means the standby will be longer? Sure, to a degree but no more than normal Fastpass protocols that have been in place since the 90's.

Another aspect of this that I am confused about is why the people against the abusing of DAS are so gung-ho on slamming anyone with DAS. How do DAS patrons, legit or non, affect your waiting in line experience? Why are so many of you speaking towards DAS patrons as if you know their disability or what their disability should look like? That is the problem with this new system as it creates a war between what disability is supposed to look like. Again, Disney could care less about what disability looks like but how it can be profitized. Again, many of you are on the side of Disney for this new system when it's obvious many of you aren't privy to the motives behind this, only how it benefits you. And to be fair, this won't change your experience at all. It will only make G+/LL harder and more expensive for you to attain.

Last edited:

Tha Realest

Whenever I travel in a large group (typically with family) my group has gotten a DAS. Someone in my group has a bowel disease and uses the bathroom often impairing their ability to stand in long lines.

This person never had a problem getting a DAS before and I’m wondering if under this new system they will. I believe this is a “legitimate” physical disability.

Not as often, but I have travelled with a person who would get a DAS because they had a double knee surgery and has difficulty with mobility. I wonder how that would work under this new system. Maybe they would see a scooter is a “appropriate” accommodation?
Sounds like that person would get a return to line card or whatever they’re doing

Happyday

They literally gave a blue print on what is acceptable. Who is to stop anyone who needs it and gets denied to call back again and say their child has autism / adhd and behavioral issues etc where no proof is needed… they are literally cutting out things that were acceptable as a legit reason and denying people access for a money grab. Heck. At this point i know its illegal but charge for DAS access bc heck as people have stated even myself there are “advanatages” if you know how to work the system to its fullest
I hear you again I am trying to be hopeful it helps. Also we were asked extra questions than this recently I am not going to announce it here or our response because I will not arm the scammers 😄I am also hopeful there will be a data base or a note attached to the reservation that you already called and were denied. 🤞🙏🤞

Trauma

All the cheaters are going to do is figure out what “developmental disorders” are easiest to lie about and use that.

The cheaters are still going to lie.

This is going to lead to a large influx of “developmental disorders”.

What is Disney going to do then crack down on autism?

I don’t see how this road they have chosen to go down leads to a good place.

I just hope the Inspire Health Alliance professionals they are consulting become versed in the types of code phrases people use to try to force their way into the program. There are many social media groups that are dedicated to coaching people into what to say to be granted access into the program. Without having to verify with a doctor’s note or some other kind of valid proof, it will only be a matter of time until those groups pop up again with the updated information.

In order to show that they are taking this matter seriously, they need to have a more vigorous screening process and actually follow through with those consequences for those who are caught lying or abusing the accommodation. It is not fair for the people who truly need the DAS to have to go through so many extra steps because people feel entitled to accommodation that doesn’t apply to them. It is just so unfortunate that it has come down to this, but while nothing is perfect, it is nice to see they are addressing the problems.

Splash4eva

The process of getting one for the people who lie is now more difficult. There are also listed punishments that hopefully Disney will follow through with to help curtail those who are willing to try abuse the system.

Obviously, Disney has to do this right, including the other part of the system with the line return. If they do it wrong then they are screwing over a bunch of people who need it. If they do it right then hopefully everyone who does need it is covered and the abuse is cut down. Eventually it will rise back up because people suck and Disney will have to make more changes.

The only way this gets a permanent fix is if the feds update laws to allow for a more strict and uniform structure that companies can use to target abusers and I don't see that happening anytime soon or having the support to try it at all. So, for now we are sort of stuck playing around in the limits of the ADA and trying different things to deter people.
Again how is it making it More difficult?!? All they are doing is eliminating GS access…. The punishments have been in place the entire time for lying…

No docs are needed. Autism is being stated as a valid reason. Anyone can literally call now and say their kid is etc etc etc. someone “scamming” before literally will do the same now. And people who need it for valid concerns are now in jeopardy of losing it. What am i missing with this announcement?
Yes i agree laws need to be changed. But as i said earlier. There has to be some loophole a lawyer can find that can allow Disney to need proof of why DAS is needed… when GA did this. They allowed me 1 entry w/o proof then i had to sign online and was approved.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
What I'm saying is that if they add more benches in response to DAS restrictions, it won't necessarily help anyone that's disabled. The first part of what you quoted shows that I'm in favor of them for all guests.

I might be the odd guy out here because i will literally sit on the ground at Disney when i need to sit. But it’sa capacity thing. Add more seating and all the people who need to sit will have more options. Adding benches helps everyone

Happyday

All the cheaters are going to do is figure out what “developmental disorders” are easiest to lie about and use that.

Unfortunately you are probably correct. But holding out hope. I would love to see some kind of proof but that gets into privacy issues?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The passholders in California did win so it’s not like Disney is always in the right.

And Disney deserved to lose that suit (which was eventually settled, actually, IIRC).

In that case, they told APers that they could go to the park any time it wasn't blacked out for their level of AP. And also, they couldn't go if the park was 'full,' that is, no more reservations.

The problem was that Disney was telling APers that the park was full by telling them there were no more reservations, AT THE SAME TIME... Disney was still selling day-tickets to those supposedly full parks. So, not actually *full*.

Because of that, Disney now stops selling day tickets when they restrict reservations for APers. And actually, that happened just recently at MK. Full is full for everyone.

But, this is totally different from the law suits against Disney for accessibility issues. When the previous system (GAC?) was being abused, they switched to DAS, which had more limitations than before. Disney was sued by parents claiming it violated the ADA because the accommodation their child needed to was to go immediately to the front of the line without exception. The parents lost that suit. Disney showed the old system was being abused, and that the new system's accommodation was reasonable.

Happyday

I just hope the Inspire Health Alliance professionals they are consulting become versed in the types of code phrases people use to try to force their way into the program. There are many social media groups that are dedicated to coaching people into what to say to be granted access into the program. Without having to verify with a doctor’s note or some other kind of valid proof, it will only be a matter of time until those groups pop up again with the updated information.

In order to show that they are taking this matter seriously, they need to have a more vigorous screening process and actually follow through with those consequences for those who are caught lying or abusing the accommodation. It is not fair for the people who truly need the DAS to have to go through so many extra steps because people feel entitled to accommodation that doesn’t apply to them. It is just so unfortunate that it has come down to this, but while nothing is perfect, it is nice to see they are addressing the problems.
💯Thank you well said.

Splash4eva

I hear you again I am trying to be hopeful it helps. Also we were asked extra questions than this recently I am not going to announce it here or our response because I will not arm the scammers 😄I am also hopeful there will be a data base or a note attached to the reservation that you already called and were denied. 🤞🙏🤞
Even if its noted. Whats the difference? For me as an example. My Mom use to get it when we went for her condition. About 10 years ago i developed some issues that required myself access as well. We always go together. So we only get access via 1 of us. But say i get denied or vice versa. Are they gonna automatically say no to the other now?!?

Splash4eva

Exactly. Once again Disney has found a way to botch things up yet again and somehow will end up making money off it….

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yeah sorry not that simple.

Many physical disabilities can’t be resolved by just sitting in a wheelchair.

I'm confused. Seeing your posts, it seems you are claiming there are people who can't wait in line standing, and can't wait in line sitting due to physical limitations.

What are these people doing in the park when they aren't in a queue? There's only standing and sitting (and I'm assuming non-stop walking is out of the question).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom