Rumor New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Chip Chipperson

Just posted something from a training manual to point out that an ADA manual did not have "reasonable" and instead used "full and equal enjoyment".
Are you sure it doesn't say anything about accommodations being reasonable?
According to an ADA training manual dealing with public accommodations, aka, theme parks:

The ADA says people with disabilities are entitled to “the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations” that a public accommodation provides to its customers. In other words, every type of good or service a business provides to customers is covered by the ADA. All businesses that serve the public must provide equal opportunity for customers with disabilities.

The ADA asks public accommodations to take steps that are “readily achievable” or are “reasonable”or that do not constitute an “undue burden” to enable people with disabilities to be their customers and clients. These terms are explained later in the course. After taking the course, businesses that are willing to do simple, easy, and reasonable things to accommodate customers with disabilities will likely find it easy to comply with the ADA.

Happyday

This is a contradictory statement in my opinion.
Person A, previously qualified, their conditions as actually worsened.
The same questions, plus "more stringent" questions whatever that means.
This same person who previously qualified does not.

This person is not now magically able to wait in these queues, in fact their condition has worsened since before the pandemic and Genie+ when this person qualified with no issues and renewed regularly.

Disney answer, purchase Genie+ even though the DAS is a MUCH BETTER guest experience.
I understand what you are saying but as someone who went through a video chat (before the new rules) the questions they ask are not just one question, they know what they are doing, the questions build on each other. I wish there weren't people out there looking to fraud the system otherwise I could give a bit more information but alas...

JGamer

Yes, Genie+ purchases will increase.

However, Disney can control at what times those people come back. The tripping point of this whole issue was not standby wait times. It was LL wait times. Disney does not like pictures out there of paid LL lines overflowing into the concourse. Disney can better control those lines since return times will be a known variable. DAS provided an unknown variable into their model that they couldn't predict so it led to long LL times.

People are a lot more tolerant about a standby line that constantly moves vs one where you just stand there for 5-10 minutes at a time before inching forward. Ideally, this makes both lines move faster, but the overall wait time in standby may be the same as it is today.

ditzee

Are you sure it doesn't say anything about accommodations being reasonable?
There was nothing on this page about reasonable. Did not see it throughout the training manual but I may have missed it.
Had link in post and waited for an hour to get approved. Hoping breaking the link will allow it to post this time
https : //. archiveDOT adaDOTgov/reachingout/intro2.htm#:~:text= The %20ADA%20says%20people%20with,is%20covered%20by%20the%20ADA.

OOPs, missed this:
The ADA asks public accommodations to take steps that are “readily achievable” or are “reasonable”or that do not constitute an “undue burden” to enable people with disabilities to be their customers and clients. These terms are explained later in the course. After taking the course, businesses that are willing to do simple, easy, and reasonable things to accommodate customers with disabilities will likely find it easy to comply with the ADA.

It might be more sensible for you to read through the thread instead of asking people to start over.
Pretty sure suggesting someone read 159 pages of a thread is not very sensible or reasonable. If the poster has already answered, they can simply respond with a link to the response. That isn't very difficult and seems pretty reasonable in a case of a thread with 159 pages.

Basil of Baker Street

There was nothing on this page about reasonable. Did not see it throughout the training manual but I may have missed it.
Had link in post and waited for an hour to get approved. Hoping breaking the link will allow it to post this time
https : //. archiveDOT adaDOTgov/reachingout/intro2.htm#:~:text= The %20ADA%20says%20people%20with,is%20covered%20by%20the%20ADA.

OOPs, missed this:
Yes, your post said reasonable

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
This return to line is going to be a huge mess. There was a time Disney would test things. Today they manage by committee and approved this in a meeting full of people probably.

It will be interesting to watch.
exactly right... same with G+...they don't actually test it the way normal folks want or try to use it during a crowded day from 7am on. those making the decisions never feel the same pain and frustration

MickeyLuv'r

Don't worry. Once the new system is in place, all those folks who previously qualified for DAS and no longer, will purchase Genie+ and the wait times will balloon back up to what they were before the DAS change.

These folks who previously qualified for DAS and used the lighting lane are NOT going to say, "Oh well I don't qualify for DAS no more so I will just go into the stand by".

They will simply purchase Genie+, while its not as good ad DAS, it gets them BACK into the lighting lane queue and not the standby.
Or they won't go to WDW.

The changes might deter a number of folks altogether.

Just c'mon. WDW vacation packages are due 30 days out. Park tickets are date specific and non-refundable. Airfare is often non refundable. People who live with daily pain/qualifying DAS medical conditions may not want to risk so much financial commitment with this added uncertainty.

[Where is the compassion in this thread? Can't we all - just for a moment - consider that wow! this is a thread about people who are disabled. Maybe they are reading this thread for information on this change?]

On my last WDW visit, as we were about to get off Buzz, a woman right in front of us fell smack down on the moving walkway when trying to get off the ride. She was sitting on the left side of the car, so she had to wait while her family first helped her companion get off the ride. By the time she could have exited, her car was almost to the end of the moving walkway. I can't say for certain, but she might have had a physical disability of her own. In any event, she rushed to exit the ride in time, fell hard, and there was a loud SMACK as she full force face down on the walkway.

CM's did not see her until it was too late. They stopped the ride, but by then she had the attention of everyone in the vicinity.

The CM's asked if she was okay. She said she was, but she was clearly limping towards the exit. Just past the gift shop exit, she burst into tears.

As I'm reading this thread, I can't help but think of her. Why did she hide her injury? Why wasn't she able (willing?) to ask for a ride stop?

Asking for help isn't always easy to do.

Touchdown

They are also trying to avoid enraging standby guests. Ever stood in line in a normal moving queue only to be <100 people from merge only to stop moving for over 30 min, and then only start moving one party every 10 min? I have on Big Thunder, HM, Space, Mermaid, Frozen, Rat, Cosmic Rewind, Mickey, ToT, RnRC, Rise, Falcon, TSMM, Slinky. Nothing mechanically wrong with the ride, nor has it been down recently, it’s because the LL queue is out the door (you can see it on most rides) and there is no way Disney wants or plans for that. G+ doesn’t cause that, VIP doesn’t cause that (they actively avoid long LL queues) only one LL user left to blame.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Or they won't go to WDW.

The changes might deter a number of folks altogether.
There may be a tiny percentage that losing DAS may be the last straw in addition to all you mention.

For DECADES it was discussed on these boards how folks will be "priced out" of a WDW vacation. Apparently not.

When they added Genie+ its like they instantly raised the gate price by the cost of Genie+, but FOLKS KEEP COMING AND PAYING.

So, yes, there may be a tiny percentage that give up, in my opinion, the large majority WILL PAY THE PRICE, and the lighting lane will be as crowded as ever with PAYING GUESTS in addition the disabled folks who make it through the gauntlet of qualification for the new DAS system.

The crowded lighting lane queue will remain very much like it is.

ditzee

They are also trying to avoid enraging standby guests. Ever stood in line in a normal moving queue only to be >100 people from merge only to stop moving for over 30 min, and then only start moving one party every 10 min? I have on Big Thunder, HM, Space, Mermaid, Frozen, Rat, Cosmic Rewind, Mickey, ToT, RnRC, Rise, Falcon, TSMM, Slinky. Nothing mechanically wrong with the ride, nor has it been down recently, it’s because the LL queue is out the door (you can see it on most rides) and there is no way Disney wants or plans for that. G+ doesn’t cause that, VIP doesn’t cause that (they actively avoid long LL queues) only one LL user left to blame.
Now imagine these same people if Disney doesn't handle the "return to the line option". Think I posted that part of my niece's GAC accommodations several years ago was to just place us in a line. A man was irate when a CM just put us will nilly in a queue. We allowed him to get ahead of us because I really was afraid he might get violent. Now Disney allows alcohol and I can see a situation like this spiraling.
Honestly though, you can blame DAS users but this is your opinion. We were on a version of the VIP tour probably 8 yrs. ago and the line for Jungle Cruise reached the walkway but our group still got in the line.
Who knows if the ride was down earlier and those in line got ride redemption passes? Or a huge touring group gets in line. Different reasons for different days and at different times each day.
Not saying this is never due to DAS users but there can be other reasons as well.

phillip9698

Yes, but they are probably also using some of their passes on rides like Imagination- currently a 5minute wait.

A number of posters to this thread appear to assume DAS pass users are requesting rides like Flight of Passage over and over, and that they are all ultra-commandos.

I'd be willing to bet many DAS users are using their passes on rides like Imagination. They do so just in case the wait gets long.

Put yourself in the shoes of someone who has a disability. Odds are high they need daily living help of some kind: extra restroom time, medication, calming/quiet time, help with food/frequent snacks.

For someone with a serious medical condition, getting to the park for rope drop might not be possible. Eating lunch might take extra time. An afternoon nap/early bedtime might be essential. Overstimulation might = going back to the hotel room mid-morning and not returning to the park until the next day.

For them, an attraction like Imagination may well be THE can't miss attraction. They may well even ride it 3 times in a row.

The issue isn’t 2 people using DAS on a walk on attraction and you know it.

That’s just absurd.

Now I see why insiders are so hesitant to share and present their data here when most will just outright ignore it.

They are also trying to avoid enraging standby guests. Ever stood in line in a normal moving queue only to be >100 people from merge only to stop moving for over 30 min, and then only start moving one party every 10 min? I have on Big Thunder, HM, Space, Mermaid, Frozen, Rat, Cosmic Rewind, Mickey, ToT, RnRC, Rise, Falcon, TSMM, Slinky. Nothing mechanically wrong with the ride, nor has it been down recently, it’s because the LL queue is out the door (you can see it on most rides) and there is no way Disney wants or plans for that. G+ doesn’t cause that, VIP doesn’t cause that (they actively avoid long LL queues) only one LL user left to blame.
How dare we disabled people get in the way of anyone else's fun?

I don't know the details of the system. I didn't design it. But DAS return times appear to be in the same system as LL/Genie+. Maybe Disney should bump wait times higher based on the known number of riders that are returning in that timeframe.

Chi84

Premium Member
How dare we disabled people get in the way of anyone else's fun?

I don't know the details of the system. I didn't design it. But DAS return times appear to be in the same system as LL/Genie+. Maybe Disney should bump wait times higher based on the known number of riders that are returning in that timeframe.
So I’m guessing you didn’t read the thread.

phillip9698

Would you please explain what you mean.

Why make a post talking about DAS use at walk on attractions or attractions with a stand by wait that is less than the LL wait at the E tickets, when data has been presented showing the issue being +60% of ride capacity of E tickets is being gobbled up by the 8% of people using DAS services.

That is the issue that needs to be addressed. That’s not sustainable and with everyone sharing the secret the problem is only getting worse.

No need to bring in stories meant to drum up sympathy. Nobody here is being heartless and saying people who truly need DAS should stand in 75 minute queues.

So I’m guessing you didn’t read the thread.
Ah, the fun of internet keyboard warriors with responses that add no value. I'm happy to interact with you in a positive way to try and discuss the topic. If you're just going to respond to everything I say, suggesting that I just read over 3,000 posts, then please save everyone and me the hassle and just don't respond.

Ah, the fun of internet keyboard warriors with responses that add no value. I'm happy to interact with you in a positive way to try and discuss the topic. If you're just going to respond to everything I say, suggesting that I just read over 3,000 posts, then please save everyone and me the hassle and just don't respond.
I did before joining the forum and commenting. It seemed polite instead of asking for a recap of what's been said for 160 pages.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom