New Construction in Galaxy’s Edge

celluloid

I actually disagree (slightly)...

When they have a land build on one IP, they put in some many limits it gets in the way. But, when it's based on anything existing, especially without a movie IP, then it's a free-for-all.

That's how we can't get any earlier characters in Galaxy's Edge because it wouldn't "fit the story"... By the same company that's created the TL, DHS, Epcot messes along with a number of weird resort restaurant placements.

It's kind of baffling....
All that is moot to my main point which is DIsney does not care where Star Tours is within that park.
The latest entire film and tv IP lands at DHS have nothing to do with the mission of the park, be it studio production OR The Hollywood that never was but always will be. They are just...lands. Toy Story made a tiniest bit of sense in Pixar Place, not well, but at least the surrounding area was inspired by the Pixar Animation buildings. Now it Toy Story Land is just a land.

It is fine if one or many are ok with that, but it stands to the reason that they don't care about what the theme of the park is/was.

So why would they care about Star Tours being in the land of the movie? if Disney really cared about the characters from differenet trilogies not mingling, you would not have the terrible time jumps that Star Tours 2.0 has suffered from.

To counter your point Awesome Planet was the perfect fit for The Land, and was only using an IP star to narrate in the real estate style, but is perfectly produced for the pavilion it is in.
Space resteraunt is nothing mind blowing, but it fits well in what that area is trying to become, next to the main Space "Pavilion" ride of Mission Space.

Epcot82Guy

All that is moot to my main point which is DIsney does not care where Star Tours is within that park.
The latest entire film and tv IP lands at DHS have nothing to do with the mission of the park, be it studio production OR The Hollywood that never was but always will be. They are just...lands. Toy Story made a tiniest bit of sense in Pixar Place, not well, but at least the surrounding area was inspired by the Pixar Animation buildings. Now it Toy Story Land is just a land.

It is fine if one or many are ok with that, but it stands to the reason that they don't care about what the theme of the park is/was.

So why would they care about Star Tours being in the land of the movie? if Disney really cared about the characters from differenet trilogies not mingling, you would not have the terrible time jumps that Star Tours 2.0 has suffered from.

To counter your point Awesome Planet was the perfect fit for The Land, and was only using an IP star to narrate in the real estate style, but is perfectly produced for the pavilion it is in.
Space resteraunt is nothing mind blowing, but it fits well in what that area is trying to become, next to the main Space "Pavilion" ride of Mission Space.

Agreed. (I didn't mean to imply I was truly disagreeing with you. Your points are all well taken and made.)

They have pretty much thrown consistent theme out the window, especially when an IP is involved. And, it's made more frustrating when you have thematic successes like Awesome Planet, Space 220, Beacons of Magic, etc.

This really is about poor storytelling. I have to wonder (hope) if this is being driven by non-creatives having too much influence. There is a version of most of these ideas that COULD work. But, there is no real desire to be a consistent theme park. Instead, it seems like they are enjoying dismantling them so they can basically put anything they want anywhere they want. I would say so it's easier and cheaper, but Cosmic Rewind shows it's at most easier.

celluloid

Agreed. (I didn't mean to imply I was truly disagreeing with you. Your points are all well taken and made.)

They have pretty much thrown consistent theme out the window, especially when an IP is involved. And, it's made more frustrating when you have thematic successes like Awesome Planet, Space 220, Beacons of Magic, etc.

This really is about poor storytelling. I have to wonder (hope) if this is being driven by non-creatives having too much influence. There is a version of most of these ideas that COULD work. But, there is no real desire to be a consistent theme park. Instead, it seems like they are enjoying dismantling them so they can basically put anything they want anywhere they want. I would say so it's easier and cheaper, but Cosmic Rewind shows it's at most easier.

For sure. Two decades of much less growth at the resort compared to the 90s to early 2000s and then a scramble to put in everything that it is hit synergy to neglected maintained attractions gets us a lot of this.

Movielover

Current Disney does not care that much about theme.

Disney builds Galaxy Edge, a massive land set in a specific time and place that everything is built around include specific characters, plot, tone, and art style. Arguably the most theme building land they have done and their best attempt at a complete cohesive story within a live setting that is ever evolving due to the theme park setting. What can be seen as a molding of every form of storytelling medium mixed with the fun and entertainment that is arguably the bases of what Walt himself wanted to do with the whole Disneyland concept.

People on here:
"It sucks, they didn't even try".

:rolleyes:

Movielover

Now you're getting it. Maybe you can hang out with the cool kids now.
200.gif

:cool:

Anteater

Disney builds Galaxy Edge, a massive land set in a specific time and place that everything is built around include specific characters, plot, tone, and art style. Arguably the most theme building land they have done and their best attempt at a complete cohesive story within a live setting that is ever evolving due to the theme park setting. What can be seen as a molding of every form of storytelling medium mixed with the fun and entertainment that is arguably the bases of what Walt himself wanted to do with the whole Disneyland concept.

People on here:

I think the critics on here wanted to visit Tatooine and Mos Eisley. They wanted to see C3PO, R2D2 and Darth Vader. They never heard of "Black Spire Outpost" or Batuu. It would be like visiting Harry Potter Land and not seeing Hogsmead or Diagon Alley. Also, the land is dead; where are the inhabitants of the land? It feels like a movie set between takes.

kalel8145

I think the critics on here wanted to visit Tatooine and Mos Eisley. They wanted to see C3PO, R2D2 and Darth Vader. They never heard of "Black Spire Outpost" or Batuu. It would be like visiting Harry Potter Land and not seeing Hogsmead or Diagon Alley. Also, the land is dead; where are the inhabitants of the land? It feels like a movie set between takes.
I mean, I wouldn't mind seeing them. I get what they were trying to do with Galaxies Edge. I'd like if there were more characters walking around, even if ones not in any movies like different droids, bounty hunters, Jedi in hiding. Just walking amongst the guests to get that immersion they were going for. It might make for a more exciting atmosphere.

celluloid

People on here:

You don't have to pretend to find cynicism. It is objectively true that DHS' priorities have changed to putting lands in without a throughline of the park.
You clearly did not read the original point or understand it my point on it. Since you quoted me let me clarify.

The point was about putting Star Tours in that themed area. I never said it sucks. They just don't care what belongs where to an extent. I was responding to someone who said they should move Star Tours. If Disney cared about that, they would have put it there or extended the land to reach and start there.

Disney could build Everest where Tron is going, but I think we can all agree that that thematically would not be a great choice. Even if the ride was the most amazing attraction and level of detail in the park.

Toy Story Land does not equate to the same theming standards as what was previously considered a good park fit theming. It is fine that they move away from that, but it is objectively the case. So rolling your eyes is a pretty condescending emoji to use.

Since you try and toss the old what Walt wanted argument. Walt built Disneyland on a tribute to American Mythology of the ideal America with a romanticized cinematic type lense. This is evident by the plaque's tribute and his own words on the dedication. So throwing that out there is funny as Galaxy's Edge is also a weird placement when it comes to being in Disneyland. Its not the worst thing, but clearly not the same standard of theming. All lands in Disneyland pre Toontown(which is a cartoony take on Americana itself) were based on America's past, present and future.

Movielover

You don't have to pretend to find cynicism. It is objectively true that DHS' priorities have changed to putting lands in without a throughline of the park.
You clearly did not read the original point or understand it my point on it. Since you quoted me let me clarify.

The point was about putting Star Tours in that themed area. I never said it sucks. They just don't care what belongs where to an extent. I was responding to someone who said they should move Star Tours. If Disney cared about that, they would have put it there or extended the land to reach and start there.

Disney could build Everest where Tron is going, but I think we can all agree that that thematically would not be a great choice. Even if the ride was the most amazing attraction and level of detail in the park.

Toy Story Land does not equate to the same theming standards as what was previously considered a good park fit theming. It is fine that they move away from that, but it is objectively the case. So rolling your eyes is a pretty condescending emoji to use.

Since you try and toss the old what Walt wanted argument. Walt built Disneyland on a tribute to American Mythology of the ideal America with a romanticized cinematic type lense. This is evident by the plaque's tribute and his own words on the dedication. So throwing that out there is funny as Galaxy's Edge is also a weird placement when it comes to being in Disneyland. Its not the worst thing, but clearly not the same standard of theming. All lands in Disneyland pre Toontown(which is a cartoony take on Americana itself) were based on America's past, present and future.
Jungle Adventureland and Fictional Mideval Fantasyland are set in America? I missed that in History class... 🙄

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

And if you look at any examination of the Starwars mythology it's all based on Akira Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress and Seven Samuri.

ChrisM

It's really baffling the more you think about.

Creating a generic, unaffiliated land is fine - if your intention is to make it a timeline agnostic experience. But instead they insist on locking it into a sequel trilogy timeline. Let it loose, please. More Darth Vader, less Kylo Ren.

And you're spot on with the emptiness of the land. Get some droids and aliens out there.

kalel8145

It's really baffling the more you think about.

Creating a generic, unaffiliated land is fine - if your intention is to make it a timeline agnostic experience. But instead they insist on locking it into a sequel trilogy timeline. Let it loose, please. More Darth Vader, less Kylo Ren.

And you're spot on with the emptiness of the land. Get some droids and aliens out there.
Very much this. I'd love to see them walking through the land, maybe even interacting with the crowds. Maybe even some jedi in hiding asking for your help. Didn't they have a character like that when Batuu first opened? I remember seeing her once.
Back in the day, before Batuu, they would sometimes have Jawas there that would trade with you. They would have just little trinkets like pins and whatnot and would trade for anything you had. My wife traded a cheap jelly bracelet she was wearing for a small metal x wing toy. It was really cool.

celluloid

Jungle Adventureland and Fictional Mideval Fantasyland are set in America? I missed that in History class... 🙄

American Colonialism and exploration, tales from the "old country." I said a tribute, or in other words dedicated to the idelas to American mythology, not that the lands or attractions are set in the United States. Those bolded are Americanized romanticized literature/cinematic versions of what was out there and where we came from as America. As a movielover you should know that, so you probably also missed that in history class and have a limited scope of American Cinema. You can stop rolling your eyes now. There really is no point to that.

I never said Galaxy's Edge was not well themed, just that it is further proof that it, along with Toy Story Land that Disney does not care about the placement of it in the studios as the original throughline of the park. So they likely do not care that Star Tours is not in there as well. It is what it is, but someone pointing this out does not mean that they think the land itself is of bad quality.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom