New Cirque Show will be based on Disney Animation

Karakasa

Sounds fun. Also, guys, I wouldn't worry about any 'fur' characters- At worst they'll probably go the Broadway Lion King route. Really stylize any literal non-human characters.

dennis-in-ct

I saw Love years ago and they took Beatles recordings and remixed them, used alternate takes etc.

We saw the Cirque show LOVE this past Oct and were completely blown away. If Cirque can accomplish such a jaw-dropping tribute to the Beatles music, they can certainly create a door busting tribute to Disney Animation. The theater cost 100 million and the show makes 60 million a year. I hope they develop this new show at the same level and cost as LOVE.

Obobru

Everything has to have an IP shoehorned in even if it's not owned by Disney but is on property. Shame that originality everywhere is disappearing and things are dumbed down for the brain-dead generations who will follow.

the.dreamfinder

This is a weird show. I really love La Nouba because it was something that sought to be “Disney” in spirit and achieved that lofty goal. OTOH, a well done Disney Animation show could be on the level of something like Love, but then it becomes something more superficially Disney.

Whenever we get out of the hell hole that is the Iger years, my hope is the company moves away from being Disney, THE BRAND, to channeling the tradition and soul of it despite not being Disney looking on the surface. A Disney Cirque show isn’t my first choice for a La Nouba replacement. However, Disney’s track record of risk taking with its own theatrical products gives me hope Cirque will make something truly Disney that happens to have Disney characters/songs.

Smooth

aab109147c73d8d59a5f1e4c246bcc0a.jpg

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
I wouldn't expect to see straight up literal costumes for any of the characters, I would think for impressionistic.

I wouldn't expect anything to be straight up from the costuming, to the sets, or the music, but I bet it will be done well. I am so excited by this news! I have seen many Cirque and Cavalia shows across the country and never leave disappointed.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Everything has to have an IP shoehorned in even if it's not owned by Disney but is on property. Shame that originality everywhere is disappearing and things are dumbed down for the brain-dead generations who will follow.

If you want to original IPs that aren't based on any previous Disney IPs... go see a Disney movie. Yes, Disney does sequels. but, they do a lot of new stories, too. Each new story is a new IP added to the Disney stable. There's your originality at Disney: Coco, Moana, Zootopia, Inside Out, Big Hero 6, Wreck-It Ralph, Brave, Frozen. Disney keeps adding originals.

If you go to Walt Disney World, is it for attractions that are also brand new IPs that have nothing to do with the stable of Disney IPs? Do you expect a character in a Disney parade that is not from any previous Disney IP?

Cirque has shows all over the world where they create new worlds, or, where they base their show on an established IP: Avatar, Beatles, Elvis, Michael Jackson. If you go to a Cirque show at Disney, its pretty reasonable to expect their take on Disney IP. Their show at Universal is going to incorporate Universal IP.

BlindChow

I had the complete opposite reaction. Cirque has done many amazing shows based on a variety of themes and cultures, and I'm excited to see their take on Disney.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Michele Laprise is indeed the rumored director for this show, btw. And for what it's worth, many of the "veterean fans" and those in the know seem to be enthusiastic about the show....which is no small feat; cirque fans have high standards just like we do. So my skepticism is a bit quelled at the moment.

Try being a HUGE Cirque fan and a HUGE Disney fan. IMO i'm super excited for this!

tirian

If you want to original IPs that aren't based on any previous Disney IPs... go see a Disney movie. Yes, Disney does sequels. but, they do a lot of new stories, too. Each new story is a new IP added to the Disney stable. There's your originality at Disney: Coco, Moana, Zootopia, Inside Out, Big Hero 6, Wreck-It Ralph, Brave, Frozen. Disney keeps adding originals.

If you go to Walt Disney World, is it for attractions that are also brand new IPs that have nothing to do with the stable of Disney IPs? Do you expect a character in a Disney parade that is not from any previous Disney IP?

Cirque has shows all over the world where they create new worlds, or, where they base their show on an established IP: Avatar, Beatles, Elvis, Michael Jackson. If you go to a Cirque show at Disney, its pretty reasonable to expect their take on Disney IP. Their show at Universal is going to incorporate Universal IP.

If we followed that line of reasoning, we wouldn’t have BTMRR, POTC, the HM, the Matterhorn, Space Mt., E:E, IASW, Epcot, the original Disney-MGM Studios, Tokyo Disney-Sea...

La Nouba was “the Disney Cirque.” It’s definitely time for a new show, but it’s also perfectly reasonable to desire Disney attractions that aren’t fanboy recaps of existing movies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom