News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

MagicHappens1971

Does one think this happens at Tokyo parks? Absolutely not. The Japanese have more pride, more respect for authority and policies and procedures. I enjoy visiting Tokyo and see it firsthand.
I understand that many of you on here are not fans of the updated Disney Look, but lets not feign ignorance to the cultural difference between the US & Japan. Banning (non-offensive) visible tattoos in 2024 is ridiculous. The updated Disney Look (if enforced as is written) is a perfectly normal dress code policy for 2024.

MagicHappens1971

It's about setting expectations more than just passing it off as cultural. American elementary and high school students and faculty can deal with this just fine in schools with dress codes. There's no reason adults can't handle it.
Most high schools don't really have strict dress codes either anymore. I graduated in 2019 and we had virtually no dress code, and most of the schools nearby did not either.

Lilofan

I understand that many of you on here are not fans of the updated Disney Look, but lets not feign ignorance to the cultural difference between the US & Japan. Banning (non-offensive) visible tattoos in 2024 is ridiculous. The updated Disney Look (if enforced as is written) is a perfectly normal dress code policy for 2024.
So the reason of American non compliance to not following grooming policy is cultural? That's a cop out. The Japanese cast at TDL have more pride, respect etc and it is prevalent in their parks.

MagicHappens1971

So the reason of American non compliance is cultural? That's a cop out. The Japanese cast at TDL have more pride, respect etc and it is prevalent in their parks.
I was mainly discussing the differences in the actual polices. Of course Tokyo's dress code policies are stricter, and as you mentioned the TDL cast "have more pride, respect, etc". Yes, it is cultural. The average American worker is not interested in putting in the effort for the low wages that they can barely afford to survive on. That was my point.

James Alucobond

Most high schools don't really have strict dress codes either anymore. I graduated in 2019 and we had virtually no dress code, and most of the schools nearby did not either.
Just because dress codes are less common now does not mean that people are incapable of following them. Literal children can and do comply with them.

They can ban whatever they want. Doing so would potentially limit the labor pool, so they may make concessions. But you're not going to see a princess cast with visible tattoos. Is that ridiculous because it's 2024? No, because the characters are held to a certain visual standard.

MagicHappens1971

They can ban whatever they want. Doing so would potentially limit the labor pool, so they may make concessions. But you're not going to see a princess cast with visible tattoos. Is that ridiculous because it's 2024? No, because the characters are held to a certain visual standard.
I don't want to see a princess cast with visible tattoos. She is a character. Contrary to popular belief, Cast Members are not "characters", yes they are part of the "show", but they are "playing" themselves. Do I believe themed costumes are important? Yes. Do I believe that the cast members should be well groomed? Yes. Do I believe a CM can have red nails and a tattoo? Also, yes. The "concessions" could be higher pay, but also all in the same vein, even to contradict my previous argument, there just aren't enough people in Central Florida willing to work these jobs.

James Alucobond

Do I believe a CM can have red nails and a tattoo? Also, yes.
That is up to Disney to decide. They may make decisions based on changing cultural norms and a desire to attract more people, but it is not ridiculous to have a generally easily achievable dress and grooming standard simply because of the year.

The "concessions" could be higher pay, but also all in the same vein, even to contradict my previous argument, there just aren't enough people in Central Florida willing to work these jobs.
Lower paying jobs are almost universally more uniformed than higher paying jobs. This isn't a uniquely unappealing aspect of working as a Disney cast member. The degree to which it is (or was) policed might be, but it is, generally speaking, not strange to have a certain dress code be a condition of employment in customer service roles.

TrainsOfDisney

Banning (non-offensive) visible tattoos in 2024 is ridiculous. The updated Disney Look (if enforced as is written) is a perfectly normal dress code policy for 2024.
If it was “ridiculous” major companies in the USA wouldn’t still do it. I’m ok with it. Only thing I really find distracting is the jewelry which I don’t understand since I doubt anyone was refusing to work for Disney if they had to take off their bracelet haha.

Lilofan

That is up to Disney to decide. They may make decisions based on changing cultural norms and a desire to attract more people, but it is not ridiculous to have a generally easily achievable dress and grooming standard simply because of the year.

Lower paying jobs are almost universally more uniformed than higher paying jobs. This isn't a uniquely unappealing aspect of working as a Disney cast member. The degree to which it is (or was) policed might be, but it is, generally speaking, not strange to have a certain dress code be a condition of employment in customer service roles.
Lower paying jobs ( ie travel and tourism ) and agriculture ( another low pay industry ) are the top revenue generating industries in the Sunshine State. Without tourism Orlando would not be what it is today.

Jrb1979

I don't want to see a princess cast with visible tattoos. She is a character. Contrary to popular belief, Cast Members are not "characters", yes they are part of the "show", but they are "playing" themselves. Do I believe themed costumes are important? Yes. Do I believe that the cast members should be well groomed? Yes. Do I believe a CM can have red nails and a tattoo? Also, yes. The "concessions" could be higher pay, but also all in the same vein, even to contradict my previous argument, there just aren't enough people in Central Florida willing to work these jobs.
What's changed? I remember when people would work for WDW cause they loved Disney so much. It was never about the pay. It's never been a great paying job but in years past many were ok with it as they loved Disney so much

MagicHappens1971

What's changed? I remember when people would work for WDW cause they loved Disney so much. It was never about the pay. It's never been a great paying job but in years past many were ok with it as they loved Disney so much
Because the economy has just gotten worse and worse. The “love” for Disney doesn’t pay the bills.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Does one think this happens at Tokyo parks? Absolutely not. The Japanese have more pride, more respect for authority and policies and procedures. I enjoy visiting Tokyo and see it firsthand.

An updated look for Japan...

tl;dr
  • Costumes totally unisex
  • All CMs can wear make-up and/or nail polish as long as it's 'natural' and not distracting.
  • Hair color can be from black to a medium brown... but no lighter
  • Hair styles can be unisex, but can't cover face or name tag or be unkempt.
  • Still no facial hair or visible tattoos

el_super

Then work hard, impress your bosses and apply for higher paying roles at Disney or ( fill in the blank ).

They don't have to. They can get another entry level job that pays more and let's them dress however they want. So what is the motivation for them to tolerate a dress code from Disney? What's in it for them? Higher pay?

Lilofan

They don't have to. They can get another entry level job that pays more and let's them dress however they want. So what is the motivation for them to tolerate a dress code from Disney? What's in it for them? Higher pay?
Perfect job for some who hates a dress code- find a job that works remotely. My family member attire is boxer shorts, flip flops and t shirt unless if a Zoom call it’s a dry cleaned dress shirt.

James Alucobond

Why do people tolerate uniforms at fast food restaurants? It's not some massive deterrent. It's the norm. If there is a "problem", it is that Disney expects more in terms of adherence to all of their guidelines for appearance, behavior, and demeanor. It's not that anything specifically is too onerous; it's that you can slack off more easily elsewhere.

MagicHappens1971

Why do people tolerate uniforms at fast food restaurants? It's not some massive deterrent. It's the norm. If there is a "problem", it is that Disney expects more in terms of adherence to all of their guidelines for appearance, behavior, and demeanor. It's not that anything specifically is too onerous; it's that you can slack off more easily elsewhere.
We're blurring lines here. The topic was the loosening of guidelines related to hair, makeup, tattoos, etc. Fast Food restaurants do not have these restrictions, maybe aside from Chik-fil-a.
Perfect job for some who hates a dress code- find a job that works remotely. My family member attire is boxer shorts, flip flops and t shirt unless if a Zoom call it’s a dry cleaned dress shirt.
I don't think your getting it. The mentality of "I want to die my hair xyz color, but can't because of my job" is stemming from "well if my job isn't even paying me enough to live why shouldn't I have fun colored hair." Disney expanding the Disney Look as part of a change with the times and a desperate need to maintain staffing levels.
But you still need the roles that don't pay the bills filled to run the operation.
Exactly. Front-line CM (entry level) work is always going to need to be done. That CM should be able to afford groceries, rent, and to live.

TrainsOfDisney

Fast Food restaurants do not have these restrictions, maybe aside from Chik-fil-a.
And In-N-Out. Oddly enough those are the 2 highest earning fast food restaurants by location. Maybe cause they care about details?

Also Starbucks doesn’t allow anything on the wrist / forearm, or any nail polish. I’m guessing that’s for food safety but still noted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom