News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
I'm still confused.

What's the impetus for this... leak?

Were CMs being challenged for not following the guidelines? Does anyone know for sure that there are discussions for updating the guidelines?

Right now this sounds like just suppositions and rumors with nothing there.

What is actually happening?
I’ve said what I’ve heard and the reasoning behind it, wording was vague making it difficult to enforce. Clearer expectations are in development. That’s all I’ve got for now

Last edited:

GCTales

I am more worried about some general cast member behavior.. When we were that last year, we ran into multiple cast members in qeues and at ride entrances on cell phones, talking to other cast Members and generally ignoring guests, etc.

I was eating breakfast at CM and saw a clearly rotten strawberry on top of a newly placed bowl on the buffet. When I raised the issue with a cast member, they directed me to a manager (OK, that is fine- escalate the concern), the manager-level cast member said thank you for telling us... and did nothing.

Edit: spelling corrections

Last edited:

Brian

I am more worried about some general cast member behavior.. When we were that last year, we ran into multiple cast members in qeues and at ride entrances on cell phones, talking to other cast Members and generally ignoring guests, etc.

I was eating breakfast at CM and saw a clearly rotten strawberry on top of a newly placed bowl on the buffet. When I raised the issue with a constant a st member, they directed me to a manager (OK, that is fine- escalate the concern), the manager-level cast member said thank you for telling us... and did nothing.
Many also have body language issues, particularly leaning (which is a big no-no for CMs).

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I am more worried about some general cast member behavior
Unfortunately this is a self-inflicted wound. When you're a company with a reputation of treating workers poorly (rightly earned or not), it's hard to get folks who have the "passion for making magic" that we've come to expect at Disney parks. We're facing the same issues in my field (education).

Lilofan

I was eating breakfast at CM and saw a clearly rotten strawberry on top of a newly placed bowl on the buffet. When I raised the issue with a constant a st member, they directed me to a manager (OK, that is fine- escalate the concern), the manager-level cast member said thank you for telling us... and did nothing.
Some CMs have company issues iPhones to communicate with other CMs.

el_super

Nothing official yet, but probably looking at stricter enforcement on guidelines and also more specific rules on hair colors and facial hair lengths

And they will generally be ignored. The managers in the parks were notoriously bad at trying to enforce Disney Look even before the changes came in, since they were usually pretty busy, you know, running their actual operations. The genie is out of the bottle and if it came down to having extra cashiers or extra bussers at a location, or essentially terminating someone who has green hair, what would you choose?

TrainsOfDisney

since they were usually pretty busy, you know, running their actual operations.
Isn’t it part of their job to make sure rules and policies are followed?
if it came down to having extra cashiers or extra bussers at a location, or essentially terminating someone who has green hair, what would you choose?
That’s a little extreme. Writing up an employee and reminding them of the company dress code is not terminating someone.

MagicHappens1971

Isn’t it part of their job to make sure rules and policies are followed?

That’s a little extreme. Writing up an employee and reminding them of the company dress code is not terminating someone.
I think that many on here do not work in the present day service industry. It is a completely different landscape than it was pre-pandemic. The other reality of it is that coordinators actually run the operation and could not be bothered with dress code enforcement. Leaders are typically busy with a million different things and some don’t even see all of their cast on a daily basis. It’s all well and good in theory but I would much rather be staffed than be concerned about someone’s nail polish.

Vegas Disney Fan

I think that many on here do not work in the present day service industry. It is a completely different landscape than it was pre-pandemic. The other reality of it is that coordinators actually run the operation and could not be bothered with dress code enforcement. Leaders are typically busy with a million different things and some don’t even see all of their cast on a daily basis. It’s all well and good in theory but I would much rather be staffed than be concerned about someone’s nail polish.
Does Disney not do a preshift meeting?

I’ve worked in the service industry (employee and manager) for decades and we’ve always dealt with dress code issues in our few minute long preshift.

Something like an untucked shirt would be easy to miss during a shift but issues with hair color, jewelry, uniform issues, etc should easily (and quickly) be caught in preshift.

Our managers spend most their day in the office but our supervisors primary job is to walk the floor and check on our employees and guests. If Disney can’t even do this simple task anymore they are truly lost as a guest service based company.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
And they will generally be ignored. The managers in the parks were notoriously bad at trying to enforce Disney Look even before the changes came in, since they were usually pretty busy, you know, running their actual operations. The genie is out of the bottle and if it came down to having extra cashiers or extra bussers at a location, or essentially terminating someone who has green hair, what would you choose?
don't be surprised if this is also a way to reduce headcount... those that don't comply give them cause at that point if it's a mandate/rule to work there

MagicHappens1971

Does Disney not do a preshift meeting?
For TSRs, for sure. For about any other location, I would bet no.
Our managers spend most their day in the office but our supervisors primary job is to walk the floor and check on our employees and guests. If Disney can’t even do this simple task anymore they are truly lost as a guest service based company.
What I’m saying is that for example, a store like the Emporium probably has 2-4 coordinators (supervisors) that are on shift at all times, who are running the floor, dealing with guests, supporting their team, etc.

The company buy and large is not strictly enforcing the Disney Look. It’s not a specific location problem, but it is a byproduct of several things.

Personally, as a guest, it doesn’t bother me. As a manager in the industry, it can be frustrating and difficult to enforce dress code standards, and when it comes to either sending someone home or having that team member working their shift, I’d rather have them.

Lilofan

For TSRs, for sure. For about any other location, I would bet no.

What I’m saying is that for example, a store like the Emporium probably has 2-4 coordinators (supervisors) that are on shift at all times, who are running the floor, dealing with guests, supporting their team, etc.

The company buy and large is not strictly enforcing the Disney Look. It’s not a specific location problem, but it is a byproduct of several things.

Personally, as a guest, it doesn’t bother me. As a manager in the industry, it can be frustrating and difficult to enforce dress code standards, and when it comes to either sending someone home or having that team member working their shift, I’d rather have them.
There was a time where cast had to be clean shaven, no visible tattoos , no male cast looking like Fabio, no jewelry , no wild looking color hair etc. Looks like a different type of mgt and cast in current times.

doctornick

I think it is related though. When you have standards enforced (stuff like dress code or piercings or hair color or whatever), it creates a more professional environment. And that encourages better behavior and customer service. When you "let things slide" more, it results in boundaries being pushed more and more and tends to lead to a less helpful workforce.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
The other reality of it is that coordinators actually run the operation and could not be bothered with dress code enforcement.
Funny when I was a merchandise coordinator in World Showcase West (Canada to France), I was able to run the operation AND check for Disney Look every day. I would always pull non compliant CMs offstage or to the aside and remind them of the policy. If they were able to comply, I didn’t report it to leadership, I just made a note in our daily recaps. But if they didn’t, it was an instant report.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom