News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

JoeCamel

Are you saying this because you know that's actually the answer? Otherwise I'm not sure the point of your comment.
Why would you expect them to cast someone in a role they are not suited for?
If dark hair is required you don't cast a blonde and if you want to have an actor fly like spiderman or tinkerbell you don't cast someone who weighs 400 lbs.
I don't see where the question is?

co10064

Premium Member
If dark hair is required you don't cast a blonde and if you want to have an actor fly like spiderman or tinkerbell you don't cast someone who weighs 400 lbs.
Maybe I misread the thread, but the way the conversation was going, it seemed to imply that any and all Cast Members would be restricted from having naturally blonde or red hair, similar to the flat-out ban on face or neck tattoos for all Cast Members stateside.

JoeCamel

Maybe I misread the thread, but the way the conversation was going, it seemed to imply that any and all Cast Members would be restricted from having naturally blonde or red hair, similar to the flat-out ban on face or neck tattoos for all Cast Members stateside.
That is what I read too. Why is it a problem to cast who you want in a role?

Chi84

Premium Member
That is what I read too. Why is it a problem to cast who you want in a role?
It’s not, at least not in the examples you used. I think the question is whether someone with naturally blond hair would be disqualified from being a chef or some other job where one’s look is not central to the job function.

I saw the link but don’t read Japanese so I don’t know whether the restrictions apply to natural hair or to hair dyeing.

Last edited:

Ayla

The new rules are for every single CM, not just character roles. Every single CM working anywhere within the park has to have dark hair.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
The new rules are for every single CM, not just character roles. Every single CM working anywhere within the park has to have dark hair.

So if you were a naturally blonde or red haired person living in Japan you cannot get a job at TDL is what you are saying, unless you dye your hair dark brown or black? That doesn’t make sense as it’s a natural hair color.

JoeCamel

If that is what they want to cast I don't see a problem with it.
American standards of workplace equality are not in play here.

Chi84

Premium Member
So if you were a naturally blonde or red haired person living in Japan you cannot get a job at TDL is what you are saying, unless you dye your hair dark brown or black? That doesn’t make sense as it’s a natural hair color.
I asked if the rule applies to natural hair or hair dyeing and I haven’t seen anyone answer yet. Until then I wouldn’t make assumptions. The link provided was in Japanese.

James Alucobond

Just for context, this is not a terribly unique requirement with regard to personal appearance in Japan. Many schools have traditionally had the exact same rule, down to nearly identical phrasing with regard to black and brown hair.

Chi84

Premium Member
Just for context, this is not a terribly unique requirement with regard to personal appearance in Japan. Many schools have traditionally had the exact same rule, down to nearly identical phrasing with regard to black and brown hair.
Do they require kids to dye their hair to fit in? Seems strange to me, but I’m not at all familiar with Japan.

James Alucobond

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

Looks like Disney has realized this got a little too out of control and will be reigning in some guidelines… not a full u-turn but setting clearer expectations
I don’t think they will officially “update” the actual look book but just put pressure on leadership to actually enforce it (bc that’s really the issue). Don’t have any insider knowledge it’s just my opinion

James Alucobond

The #1 thing I could see getting changed is the jewelry - some of it is pretty distracting. (Necklaces and bracelets). Everything else just needs to be enforced.
I think jewelry and makeup/nails should change, honestly. I don’t mind who wears makeup or polish, but I think it should always be nude or fairly neutral unless the role calls for something specific.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Nothing official yet, but probably looking at stricter enforcement on guidelines and also more specific rules on hair colors and facial hair lengths
I'm still confused.

What's the impetus for this... leak?

Were CMs being challenged for not following the guidelines? Does anyone know for sure that there are discussions for updating the guidelines?

Right now this sounds like just suppositions and rumors with nothing there.

What is actually happening?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom