New camera advice

Devildave

Original Poster
So have a planned trip wirh my kids....an thinking of getting new canera, so i have a canon 5d3 and nx300 but my nx300 is 4yrs old now bit battered used as my holiday camera. I just dont wanna be lugging my 5d round with 24-105 lens all i have an looking at new mirroless range maybe not new but good second hand fuji or sony any ideas

fractal

thomas998

So have a planned trip wirh my kids....an thinking of getting new canera, so i have a canon 5d3 and nx300 but my nx300 is 4yrs old now bit battered used as my holiday camera. I just dont wanna be lugging my 5d round with 24-105 lens all i have an looking at new mirroless range maybe not new but good second hand fuji or sony any ideas

I've had Sony mirrorless cameras since the Nex 5 came out, have upgraded along the way and unfortunately I'm writing them off. Along the way I've had 1 camera pretty much die, 1 lens completely die, 1 lens only works once in a while and their flash system has never seemed to work as well as my Nikon system. It was for me a nice experiment and a good way to use some old Leica lenses I had sitting in a closet... but honestly their products just seem to be holding up that well. I've got a lot more Nikon stuff and have only had one camera die and it was older than the oldest Sony and was well used.

If you do decide to go for Sony anyways then look long and hard at the lenses that are available and their prices. Sony doesn't offer nearly the number of options that Nikon or Canon offer and what they do offer can be pricey.

One last thing on Sony, we have had decent experience with their RX100 camera which will probably give you results close to what you are getting with the 5D3 using the kit lens except that you wont have quite as good of lowlight performance and the zoom range tops out at 74 isntead of 105... If you wanted more zoom then a RX10 would give you more than what you've got now in terms of zoom with pretty much identical performance to the RX100.

Can't say much about Fuji as my only experience with them was a point and shoot that my wife had so it really never got much use other than as more clutter for her purse.

fractal

I've had Sony mirrorless cameras since the Nex 5 came out, have upgraded along the way and unfortunately I'm writing them off. Along the way I've had 1 camera pretty much die, 1 lens completely die, 1 lens only works once in a while and their flash system has never seemed to work as well as my Nikon system. It was for me a nice experiment and a good way to use some old Leica lenses I had sitting in a closet... but honestly their products just seem to be holding up that well. I've got a lot more Nikon stuff and have only had one camera die and it was older than the oldest Sony and was well used.

If you do decide to go for Sony anyways then look long and hard at the lenses that are available and their prices. Sony doesn't offer nearly the number of options that Nikon or Canon offer and what they do offer can be pricey.

One last thing on Sony, we have had decent experience with their RX100 camera which will probably give you results close to what you are getting with the 5D3 using the kit lens except that you wont have quite as good of lowlight performance and the zoom range tops out at 74 isntead of 105... If you wanted more zoom then a RX10 would give you more than what you've got now in terms of zoom with pretty much identical performance to the RX100.

Can't say much about Fuji as my only experience with them was a point and shoot that my wife had so it really never got much use other than as more clutter for her purse.

wow! No wonder you gave up on Sony. Sorry to hear that.

My experience has been much different. My NEX-3 is still working great after 8 years. My NEX-7 has almost 200,000 shots on it and I've lately beaten the crap out of it. Dropped it in the sand at the beach and had it out in the pouring rain. Still taking great shots. Never had a Sony lens go bad on me (but I did drop one in the water in Pirates of the Caribbean :confused:). My A7rii I just got 6 months ago with no issues. On the other hand I had a Canon Rebel go "brick" on me after 2 years and swore I'd never buy a Canon again so I get where you are coming from. As always with any camera - your mileage may vary.

sporadic

I went from a Canon 7D to a Fuji X-T1 a few years ago and absolutely love it. Size, weight, quality, is all spot on. Debated on picking up an X-T2, but I'm holding out until the used prices come down. I did however end up getting another used 7D and 300 F/4 last year to shoot JV soccer as the X-T1 falls short for me there. Not to mention I ended up spending half on the combo than what I would have just on long fast Fuji glass. When it comes to main / travel kit, I'm a Fuji fan all the way. Definitely worth looking into while weighing your options. Seen quite a few good deals come across the Fred Miranda site.

EDIT: One thing about Fuji, ALL their XF glass is nice. Their kit lenses and zooms are miles above the standard Canon lenses. It's as if every one is an L optically. This is with the XF 55-200 @ 190 f/4.8 (wide open).

Game On
by smerrick, on Flickr

Last edited:

BigRedDad

Just strolled in on this thread. I too dumped my Canon 7D and painstakingly heavy lenses (just this weekend). I went with the Fuji X-T20. I couldn't justify the additional cost for an X-T2. All in all, I am in for $1,000 more than I sold my Canon gear for. I got the XF 18-55mm lens, XF 50-140mm f/2.8, and a Rokinon 12mm f/2 to go with it. All of this gear weighs only 8oz more than the Canon 7D w/ Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8. I would only take the big lens to AK. No other park would need the reach.

Thanks for the pic above too. I need to think about the longer reach with that lens or the 2x teleconverter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom