New Brews

SSG

Original Poster
hsxfhw34-624x351.jpg

Wed, January 24, 2018Ballast Point and More Exciting Changes Coming to Downtown Disney District at the Disneyland Resort in 2018
803931bf88bfbf87dd0df97940613f9e

by Michael Ramirez, Public Relations Manager, Disney Destinations

The Downtown Disney District at the Disneyland Resort is continuing its ambitious, promenade-wide transformation in 2018. Multiple new venues and significant refurbishments to marquee dining and retail locations, including the World of Disney store, will be completed throughout the year while Downtown Disney District remains open to guests. The result will be a fresh, one-of-a-kind Disney experience, immersing guests by day and night in the greatest mix of family-friendly dining, shopping and entertainment.

jsjvje53-613x362.png

Wildly popular San Diego-based brewer Ballast Point will open its first Orange County location in Downtown Disney District later this year. Ballast Point pairs its high-quality, award-winning beers with an extensive menu of Southern California cuisine—salads, small plates, flatbreads and entrees featuring local, sustainable and seasonal ingredients. The space will house the first-ever on-site brewery, tasting room, kitchen and outdoor beer garden at Downtown Disney District. Construction is scheduled to begin soon, across from Catal Restaurant and Uva Bar.

Recently opened in Downtown Disney District is the multi-sensory experience Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire by ILMxLAB and The VOID. The hyper-reality experience transports guests deep into the Star Wars universe, allowing them to walk freely and untethered throughout the space.

Other exciting experiences slated to open in 2018 include:

• World of Disney will be reimagined into a new, dynamic and distinctly Disney retail environment. The flagship store will remain open to guests for shopping during the majority of the refurbishment, with work expected to be completed in phases throughout 2018.
  • Splitsville Luxury Lanes will offer a unique combination of dining, drinks, bowling and entertainment. Opening on January 29.
  • Disney Home will offer fans a variety of Disney-themed home goods. Opening in February 2018.
  • Naples Ristorante e Pizzeria will undergo renovations to expand its outside patio with a new outside bar. Inside, three wood burning ovens will be installed to better meet guests’ demands for authentic Napoletana-style pizza pies. The restaurant will remain open throughout construction, which is slated to be completed in fall 2018.
  • Black Tap Craft Burgers & Beer will serve its award-winning burgers and signature CrazyShake™ milkshakes in a casual atmosphere. Opening later this year.
Don’t forget to visit other locations at Downtown Disney District, including The LEGO Store, Curl Surf, Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen, Sephora, Sprinkles, PANDORA Jewelry, The Dream Boutiqueand more!

There are even more great updates coming in 2018, so please stay tuned. What are you looking forward to most at Downtown Disney District?

Stevek

Looks nice, love the outdoor second floor patio. Agree...some of these places are starting for feel the same. Looks like DTD will have limited options for a simple walk up meal. Tortilla Joe's walk up window, Napolini, La Brea Bakery, Wetzel's...maybe that's enough?

Now lets see how much the prices go up for the DTD location. $8 pretzels go up to $12?

DanielBB8

I don’t get high priced beer and snacks. Certainly the atmosphere is nice and I can nurse a drink for an hour, but I’d rather not spend $8 for beer when I can get one for a dollar in a six pack or much less. Trader Joes and Aldi sell beers cheap.

Stevek

I don’t get high priced beer and snacks. Certainly the atmosphere is nice and I can nurse a drink for an hour, but I’d rather not spend $8 for beer when I can get one for a dollar in a six pack or much less. Trader Joes and Aldi sell beers cheap.

Not sure what there is to get, it's a restaurant in a resort and like every other restaurant out there, you pay a premium to dine out. Been to a movie lately...look at how much you pay for a soda or popcorn. There certainly there are cheaper options for lots of things. I can make a case for avoiding ever going out to dinner or having drinks because I can do it cheaper at home. But I have no desire to be a shut in.

DanielBB8

Not sure what there is to get, it's a restaurant in a resort and like every other restaurant out there, you pay a premium to dine out. Been to a movie lately...look at how much you pay for a soda or popcorn. There certainly there are cheaper options for lots of things. I can make a case for avoiding ever going out to dinner or having drinks because I can do it cheaper at home. But I have no desire to be a shut in.
I didn’t know you’re at risk for being a shut-in if you didn’t buy $8 beer. It’s $14 for cocktails. These are many times more expensive than soda, which even at $3, isn’t a bad value since many places offer free refills. Popcorn and soda prices at movie theaters can be mitigated by joining a free membership. Often, I got a free or cheap popcorn. I don’t mind getting occasional beer or cocktail specials during happy hour. Otherwise, avoid.

dweezil78

Same as going to any other non-dive bar really... You can always make stuff way cheaper at home, especially when it comes to cocktails. Just the price you pay for going out I guess!

Stevek

I didn’t know you’re at risk for being a shut-in if you didn’t buy $8 beer. It’s $14 for cocktails. These are many times more expensive than soda, which even at $3, isn’t a bad value since many places offer free refills. Popcorn and soda prices at movie theaters can be mitigated by joining a free membership. Often, I got a free or cheap popcorn. I don’t mind getting occasional beer or cocktail specials during happy hour. Otherwise, avoid.
Don't take things so literally. My point was that you can always find a reason not to do X, Y or Z. Why do many of us spend money going to Disneyland when there are far cheaper options out there...bottom line is folks do what they enjoy. You won't pay for an $8 beer, I will gladly pay for a $12 drink from time to time at Trader Sam's or have a dinner out knowing that I will pay more and treat me, my wife and kids to a night out.

Darkbeer1

Hey, welcome to DtD, just ignore that construction over on the west end,,,

Looking for a concert venue? Head over to GardenWalk.

Looking for a movie theater? Head over to GardenWalk.

Looking for a sandwich shop? Head to Harbor and the Subway on Katella.

Looking for a Sports Bar? Well, maybe Splitsville will work for you, or head over to GardenWalk or the Outlets at Orange?.

Want to do some real shopping? Head to the Outlets at Orange.

Looking for Build-A-Bear? Head over to the Outlets at Orange.

Looking for a good beer and a hand made pizza that won't drain your wallet? Head over tp the Pizza Press on Harbor and Disney Way.

Looking for a Starbucks? Well we have multiple options....

Can I park here for free? Not really, let alone you will have to pay something after validation, enjoy the walk, plus the security check to get to/from your car from the Simba lot.

Stevek

Looking for a Sports Bar? Well, maybe Splitsville will work for you, or head over to GardenWalk or the Outlets at Orange?.

Looking for a good beer and a hand made pizza that won't drain your wallet? Head over tp the Pizza Press on Harbor and Disney Way.

Can I park here for free? Not really, let alone you will have to pay something after validation, enjoy the walk, plus the security check to get to/from your car from the Simba lot.

DTD doesn't need a concert venue though I think the movie theater was a nice have for people that wanted to wind down after a day in the parks. Quite honestly, if you are looking to do anything in DTD, it will drain your wallet. Doesn't La Brea Bakery have sandwiches.

Curious Constance

You can thank APs for the no free parking.

Curious Constance

DTD doesn't need a concert venue though I think the movie theater was a nice have for people that wanted to wind down after a day in the parks. Quite honestly, if you are looking to do anything in DTD, it will drain your wallet. Doesn't La Brea Bakery have sandwiches.
I bet the movie theater didn't do well. I mean it sounds nice on paper, but I bet locals went to better options, and tourists don't have time or energy to devote to it. There is always something you should be taking advantage of that you've already paid for or can't squeeze it all in in time before the vacation is over. Like park time, hotel swim time, etc. And everyone has a theater at home, so it's an easy choice to skip over.

D

Deleted member 107043

I bet the movie theater didn't do well. I mean it sounds nice on paper, but I bet locals went to better options, and tourists don't have time or energy to devote to it. There is always something you should be taking advantage of that you've already paid for or can't squeeze it all in in time before the vacation is over. Like park time, hotel swim time, etc. And everyone has a theater at home, so it's an easy choice to skip over.

I've gone to the movies at DTD a couple of times and it was never busy, however I never went on a weekend or in the evening, which is typically when theaters have the most traffic. I wouldn't be surprised if didn't perform well though. I always felt that far western end of DTD had the weakest offerings in the entire complex, so losing the theater, ESPN Zone and Rainforest Cafe won't be much of a loss for me.

D

Deleted member 107043

Personally I think not having a live music venue at DTD is a programming miss. Perhaps HOB's scale and lineup was a bit too much, and something more intimate like a jazz club would be more suitable, I'm not sure.

I've noticed a lot of commenters here forget that a good deal of tourist traffic at DLR is driven by adults attending large meetings at the Anaheim Convention Center looking for something to do at the end of the day. For the majority of business travelers in the area DTD is the best option for convenient nighttime dining/entertainment.

Darkbeer1

I agree with the Convention Center, but based on what I have seen, and what I have been told by local business owners and management, GardenWalk and The Outlets at Orange get most of the private events. Plus the Morton's and Ruth Chris.

The most popular rental at DtD was the ESPN Zone, which had areas that could be closed for the group's use.

DanielBB8

DTD is not a credible shopping mall. It’s mostly for tourists. The food and drink feeds off the theme park and hotel guests. If you don’t want to figure out how parking works, it’s just easier to avoid and eat somewhere else. I’m just waiting for all the construction to be completed before coming back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom