New Be Our Guest lunch line procedure (Test?)

hannahs21

The important thing although it might not make any difference is too make sure that people write and let Guest Relations know their opinions about these changes and tests, whether we like them or not.

Completely agree. Sad part is, when I was asked to participate in a survey, there were 3 other CMs standing outside the exit asking other guests if they wanted to participate in the survey as well, and every guest except maybe one or two turned the CMs down within the 10 minutes I was standing there. Either they think their opinion doesn't matter, or they don't want to be bothered with a survey. That's why those who feel strongly on this should speak up, because others aren't.

Dwarful

I still can't figure the need for this. Making it too complicated. I have to plan my ADRs and my FP+ and now I want a simple lunch. We go in the summer June or July due to vacation schedules. In June of this year we did the FP and it went fine. In July of last summer we waited....30 minutes at 12:45 we were in by 1:15 and out by 2:15 and ready for the 3 PM parade. Now, if I get in line at 11 and they tell me to come back at 12:50....that might not work with my FPs...I sure don't want to eat and then rush to SM or BTMR ...and I promise anyone who gets stuck sitting behind me won't want me to do that either. ;)

seahawk7

Agreed. It would be far better if this process was merged into MM+.
So if this "virtual line" was online and people were able to get their return time through their MDE, isn't this just more available fastpasses for the BOG lunch? I think this would be great. No one has to stand in line or have to return much later. They would be able to plan around their return time so this poses the question: why didn't Disney just increase the number of fastpassess for BOG so people could plan instead of getting people deep into the MK to have to wait around for 2.5 hours? Hmmm

Sped2424

The thing is my family never waited longer than 20 or 30 minutes, the line moved and the wait time estimations the CMs would give outside were never correct. They were always horribly exaggerated. Once again we could always walk up at 11:20 wait 20 or 30 minutes and then enjoy lunch. Now we come at the same time and have to wait an hour and a half or two hours in the "virtual line". Yes we could now do other things but it's hard to tell your stomach to wait longer, change the FP reservations you already, and countless other things. I'm upset about this being done to BoG but I'm more concerned about how this fits into the bigger picture of how they're wanting to start operating the parks.
Exactly that, being a passholder I have waited for the BOG line throughout many different times of the year, the line usually always went to the bridge and castmembers will say an hour or an hour and 45 minute wait time. Never have I ever waited more than 20 to get in.

Captain Chaos

Perhaps I'm guilty of supporting the 'right' to stand in line:

But I'd like to know why BOG's wait should be 30-40min.... yet it's now closer to 120mins...

I'd like to know why guests walking up to a QS location at 2p... are being turned away... even though it doesn't close for another hour...

I'd like to know why Disney thinks telling a guest at 11:15a to return at 2p is "satisfactory"...

If I could choose 30mins in line over 'current' testing... Absolutely I'd choose to stand in line.

Now I fully understand this IS testing... trial and error... on capacity, crowds, interest, etc. It absolutely makes sense for Disney to "skew" crowds to full capacity from open to close. Why is one guest waiting close to 45mins... yet an hour later... another waits only 15mins? Why do they have to 'wait' at all?

I'm sure, eventually, good things will come of this... but the current testing doesn't always leave me with that warm and fuzzy feeling.
I answered already. Because simply put, Disney is a business. And WDW is private property. So, you pay thousands of dollars for a week's stay and have to deal with being told HOW you are to vacation. You are now told, for your $100 a day for their theme parks, you CANNOT access this attraction or this restaurant, even though the ride/attraction/restaurant is open and not down due to maintenance or or problems. You MUST obey Disney. You HAVE to obey Disney. You shall no longer vacation how YOU want to, but how TDO wants you to.

I mean, they are a business. And no business has ever survived by putting guest satisfaction as number one priority. What? Disney used to do that? And they survived how many years? Oh, well, um, Universal sucks!!!!

BrianV

Exactly that, being a passholder I have waited for the BOG line throughout many different times of the year, the line usually always went to the bridge and castmembers will say an hour or an hour and 45 minute wait time. Never have I ever waited more than 20 to get in.

Do you have any trouble that they are lying to people telling them 1:45 wait when it is actually 20 min? Perhaps the line is only that short because they lie and say it is 5x longer. If they told the true length, more people might wait and the actual line might be longer.

RSoxNo1

While we aren't pretending, let's not pretend this is anything but a fast food place, one which is prominently displayed in almost every TV ad I have seen about WDW in the past year.
Right, but its' a very popular fast food place. This isn't unprecedented, it's just unprecedented for Walt Disney World.

mm52200

Original Poster
Do you have any trouble that they are lying to people telling them 1:45 wait when it is actually 20 min? Perhaps the line is only that short because they lie and say it is 5x longer. If they told the true length, more people might wait and the actual line might be longer.
If they lied about the wait time maybe don't give a time that's 10x longer than it actually is. Give just a little bit of an exaggerated wait time instead.

AEfx

Completely agree. Sad part is, when I was asked to participate in a survey, there were 3 other CMs standing outside the exit asking other guests if they wanted to participate in the survey as well, and every guest except maybe one or two turned the CMs down within the 10 minutes I was standing there. Either they think their opinion doesn't matter, or they don't want to be bothered with a survey. That's why those who feel strongly on this should speak up, because others aren't.

Or it could be that after going through all that to just get a fast food sandwich, they just didn't want to modify their day any more.

I had a survey taker at MGM act pretty rudely once when we declined them - we literally had just gotten off of a plane, gotten into a car, and drove to MGM - we hadn't even checked into the hotel yet - and it was about ten feet past the turnstyles. We politely declined, and had to do so three times with him "tsk tsk tsk" each time, acting like it was some affront that we didn't want to walk into our very first park on our first day and immediately sit down and take a freakin' survey LOL.

I agree, I hope people speak up - but I can certainly see why folks don't always choose to.

I answered already. Because simply put, Disney is a business. And WDW is private property. So, you pay thousands of dollars for a week's stay and have to deal with being told HOW you are to vacation. You are now told, for your $100 a day for their theme parks, you CANNOT access this attraction or this restaurant, even though the ride/attraction/restaurant is open and not down due to maintenance or or problems. You MUST obey Disney. You HAVE to obey Disney. You shall no longer vacation how YOU want to, but how TDO wants you to.

I mean, they are a business. And no business has ever survived by putting guest satisfaction as number one priority. What? Disney used to do that? And they survived how many years? Oh, well, um, Universal sucks!!!!

Wow! Now *THAT* is the magical feeling Disney is known for.

You may be correct, but you are proving the entire point here - this whole brand is based on world-class attractions and that Disney "magic". They are losing the attractions race (by not even participating), and are well on their way towards getting rid of the magical experience factor.

But hey - you can scan your little plastic wrist band and pay for generic merchandise! YAY!

Right, but its' a very popular fast food place. This isn't unprecedented, it's just unprecedented for Walt Disney World.

Eh, I find it both. It's unprecedented, entirely. The dining reservations being 6 months out is absurd to the real world, but it's concept at least is the same - it's the time frame that most folks would find crazy. But I have never heard of a fast food joint (and there are many popular ones where folks routinely wait an hour to get in, across the country) that won't let you stand in line and wait.

Push notifications.

Oh please no. Sorry. That's a knee-jerk reaction but I can't help it.

To begin with, this "everyone should have and be paying attention to their smartphone" thing is bad enough - not only do a lot of folks not have them, but it's also so highly obnoxious in and of itself that we are encouraging folks to constantly have them in-hand. But beyond that, push messages are notoriously unreliable technology, and further many folks have them disabled entirely for various reasons (battery suckage chief amongst them). We really don't need to add ANOTHER layer of gadget knowledge/reliance on top of the crazy we already have.

3. Eat somewhere else.

Same option that existed for folks that didn't want to wait in line. Your point?

RSoxNo1

Oh please no. Sorry. That's a knee-jerk reaction but I can't help it.

To begin with, this "everyone should have and be paying attention to their smartphone" thing is bad enough - not only do a lot of folks not have them, but it's also so highly obnoxious in and of itself that we are encouraging folks to constantly have them in-hand. But beyond that, push messages are notoriously unreliable technology, and further many folks have them disabled entirely for various reasons (battery suckage chief amongst them). We really don't need to add ANOTHER layer of gadget knowledge/reliance on top of the crazy we already have.
Your cell phone is the driver of MDE now. Yes, they were probably too early with this, but whether it's a push notification or a buzzer that you would get at your local Panera, the end game is the same. Something notifies you that you can get food. You know what they could actually use? The Roses that you bring to your table.

AEfx

Your cell phone is the driver of MDE now. Yes, they were probably too early with this, but whether it's a push notification or a buzzer that you would get at your local Panera, the end game is the same. Something notifies you that you can get food. You know what they could actually use? The Roses that you bring to your table.

Oh, I understand - I think it's absurd and exclusionary, but I understand.

But push notifications are a specific feature that not even everyone with a cell phone has/uses, and they are notoriously unreliable - it's just another layer of technology to go wrong.

The roses are a great idea, though.

dadddio

So if this "virtual line" was online and people were able to get their return time through their MDE, isn't this just more available fastpasses for the BOG lunch? I think this would be great. No one has to stand in line or have to return much later. They would be able to plan around their return time so this poses the question: why didn't Disney just increase the number of fastpassess for BOG so people could plan instead of getting people deep into the MK to have to wait around for 2.5 hours? Hmmm
because this is a test and the current BoG FP process isn't administered by Disney. Also, it wouldn't be as simple as just sending out more BoG FP emails because you'd have to keep a chunk of them for same-day assignment or people will be all upset that resort guests are treated better than off-site guests.

TyrantBoss

Be Our Guest should be reservation only whether it be for lunch or for dinner. That would cut back on the line waiting and belly aching. The experience is so "unique" and special that it should only take reservations.
You can't wait in line for Cinderella's Royal Table....so why allowing waiting in line for Be Our Guest.
If you make it reservations only that will only increase the importance and "specialness" of the restaurant experience.

dadddio

You act as if they should have no rules. You want to eat at a fancy restaurant? No problem. Just go on in and knock somebody else out of their table and sit down.

There are rules that everybody is required to follow, even if you don't like them. A rule that my wife and I have followed for years at WDW is that if we don't get a prior reservation, then we show up at the restaurant early and see if they can get us in. Often times, they are able to set us up and tell us when to come back later in the day.

Of course, that's for TS restaurants and people are quick to point out that BoG lunch is technically QS. But it's not really just QS, is it? It's special. The food is better than QS. The service is better than QS. The theming is better than QS. It's popularity is more than QS.

seahawk7

because this is a test and the current BoG FP process isn't administered by Disney. Also, it wouldn't be as simple as just sending out more BoG FP emails because you'd have to keep a chunk of them for same-day assignment or people will be all upset that resort guests are treated better than off-site guests.
I think @TyrantBoss has the answer.

dadddio

Same option that existed for folks that didn't want to wait in line. Your point?
You just made my point. If eating somewhere else is a valid option for those who didn't wish to wait in an hour line, then it is a valid option for those who don't want to wait to eat at their return time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom