New Be Our Guest lunch line procedure (Test?)

dadddio

Okay, I understand. So it just raises the demand for BOG from people. But I never said that more people would prefer to wait in line.
What you said was

"And what I said was, I think most people would be upset about being given a return ticket for 2.5 hours later when it would have only been a 1 hour wait in a line otherwise. And this goes for any attraction or food, not just BOG."​

This is clearly incorrect since the very fact that you get a return time of 2.5 hours later is because more people are willing to take a return time than wait in the long line.
Because what I'm seeing as my choices are:

1. Wait an hour in the hot sun for a quick service meal.
or
2. Get a ticket for 2.5 hours (hypothetically) in the future so that I can go do whatever I want in the meantime.

While the freedom to go wander rather than waiting is great, the unpredictability of when you'll be able to eat just isn't a good trade off for me, personally. Maybe I'm alone in feeling that way. -shrug-
You missed one:
3. Eat somewhere else.

RayTheFirefly

What you said was

"And what I said was, I think most people would be upset about being given a return ticket for 2.5 hours later when it would have only been a 1 hour wait in a line otherwise. And this goes for any attraction or food, not just BOG."​

This is clearly incorrect since the very fact that you get a return time of 2.5 hours later is because more people are willing to take a return time than wait in the long line.
You missed one:
3. Eat somewhere else.
:confused: Dang. My meaning was that I think if given the choice when approaching a quick service restaurant, it's of my opinion that many people would prefer to wait an hour in line rather than be given a 2.5 hour return ticket. Most people walking up to a quick service restaurant are already hungry and not going there to plan 2.5 hours ahead.

My opinion is that the longer return time is not because more people are willing to take a return time... it's because more people are walking up, seeing no line, and taking a ticket because that's their only option. Many would keep walking if they saw a long line, but just having a longer time on a ticket doesn't resonate as loudly to most people. Reading something on paper and seeing something physical are very different.

So yeah, maybe they are more willing to take a ticket because they don't realize what's really going on. But is their experience being enhanced, having to wait twice as long to eat (regardless of where they wait)? In my opinion, no. You're free to feel otherwise.

And yes, you could eat elsewhere. But I thought the topic was BOG. Anyway... :rolleyes:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
What you said was

This doesn't jive. As we all know, lines regulate themselves. Once it gets to 45 minutes or so, you will see a steep drop off in those willing to wait. With a return ticket, there is none of that self regulation.

missed one:
3. Eat somewhere else.
A great idea. The MK could definitely use another BOG level QS.(and table service)

Monkee Girl

You remember the steak sandwhich too! It was a skirt steak sandwhich and I was in HEAVEN with that option! Louis's could have been inside Ariels castle! Perhaps that could have made it the more intimate of the two resturants and make the be our guest the people eater
Littlemermaid_644.jpg

Have the windows be project a moving ocean effect and you have a cool place to eat!

Yes, that steak sandwich was amazing! I knew the menu was going to be updated from the original at some point, but I didn't think it was going to happen so soon. I was disappointed when it was no longer an option. But it's ok, the roast beef was fine.

This is exactly what I was thinking with the Loui's dinner. There were so many possibilities with the mermaid stuff. I love the setting around there; the rushing water from the falls, the castle and the coolness from the cavers you walk in to get to the ride. It's just a shame there's nothing else to do to spend more time around there.

My issue isn't that I or anyone feels we have a right to eat at BOG, it's just that, the the moment, it is the most unique quick service (in theme and food) and people want to check it out. And those who have been there and find the place great, they are loyal to it. I have become loyal to it and prefer to eat there over burgers and pizza. Before, my place of choice was Pinocchio's for their chicken parm. Now, it's pizza and subs. I have no interest in that stuff. So now I switched. If there were similar places through out the park with equal theming and food quality, then the lunch crowds would disperse immensely because then there would be multiple attractive lunch places.

I, for one, would love a Tangerine Cafe style eatery in Adventure Land. I hate having to make an extra trip to Epcot if I want to eat there....if it were in MK it would be more convenient to get to and would be my lunch of choice over BOG. It could also be Aladdin themed and all that jazz. A tacky name idea could be "The Sultan's Palace" haha.

Last edited:

mm52200

Original Poster
The thing is my family never waited longer than 20 or 30 minutes, the line moved and the wait time estimations the CMs would give outside were never correct. They were always horribly exaggerated. Once again we could always walk up at 11:20 wait 20 or 30 minutes and then enjoy lunch. Now we come at the same time and have to wait an hour and a half or two hours in the "virtual line". Yes we could now do other things but it's hard to tell your stomach to wait longer, change the FP reservations you already, and countless other things. I'm upset about this being done to BoG but I'm more concerned about how this fits into the bigger picture of how they're wanting to start operating the parks.

jencor

A couple of questions with this new approach. First, if I am like 20 to 30 minutes late on my return time, do I still get to eat? Second, wouldn't this new- get a ticket and come back actually make it less crowded because I can bet that a lot of people that were told to come back in 2 hours do not come back.

I understand making it a reservation, though not for it. I like to go eat when I am hungry and not when they say I am hungry. The other problem I have with them doing this new system is the way they implement it. No notice and after all the planning people do now and they change the plans without telling me. I go in 80 days and just do not know if planning is worth it, cause so many things may be different. Kind of interesting how they want us to plan every minute and then punish us for it.

Captain Chaos

How about open the ones that are only open seasonally all year? Having Diamond Horseshoe, Tortuga Tavern, Tomorrowland Terrace open and reopening Adventureland Veranda could sure help. Maybe they wouldn't even need to open new ones.
Oh that won't work. Disney is a business. Opening restaurants and making things easier for the guests are not how businesses should operate. Disney SHOULD be closing even more restaurants down! They aren't in the business of guest satisfaction. They are in the business to make money. How dare you suggest they open places for guests to be comfortable, oh and to spend money. Such a terrible concept!!!!

Mike S

Oh that won't work. Disney is a business. Opening restaurants and making things easier for the guests are not how businesses should operate. Disney SHOULD be closing even more restaurants down! They aren't in the business of guest satisfaction. They are in the business to make money. How dare you suggest they open places for guests to be comfortable, oh and to spend money. Such a terrible concept!!!!
I am truly sorry for questioning the almighty wisdom of the Disney executives for I am but a humble peasant and know nothing of how to please guests. I beg for forgiveness!!!!!!!

DisneyDebRob

:confused: Dang. My meaning was that I think if given the choice when approaching a quick service restaurant, it's of my opinion that many people would prefer to wait an hour in line rather than be given a 2.5 hour return ticket. Most people walking up to a quick service restaurant are already hungry and not going there to plan 2.5 hours ahead.

My opinion is that the longer return time is not because more people are willing to take a return time... it's because more people are walking up, seeing no line, and taking a ticket because that's their only option. Many would keep walking if they saw a long line, but just having a longer time on a ticket doesn't resonate as loudly to most people. Reading something on paper and seeing something physical are very different.

So yeah, maybe they are more willing to take a ticket because they don't realize what's really going on. But is their experience being enhanced, having to wait twice as long to eat (regardless of where they wait)? In my opinion, no. You're free to feel otherwise.

And yes, you could eat elsewhere. But I thought the topic was BOG. Anyway... :rolleyes:
Agree 100%

hannahs21

A couple of questions with this new approach. First, if I am like 20 to 30 minutes late on my return time, do I still get to eat? Second, wouldn't this new- get a ticket and come back actually make it less crowded because I can bet that a lot of people that were told to come back in 2 hours do not come back.

I understand making it a reservation, though not for it. I like to go eat when I am hungry and not when they say I am hungry. The other problem I have with them doing this new system is the way they implement it. No notice and after all the planning people do now and they change the plans without telling me. I go in 80 days and just do not know if planning is worth it, cause so many things may be different. Kind of interesting how they want us to plan every minute and then punish us for it.

They wouldn't let us in at 1:54, 1 minute before our time started. CMs literally had a digital clock on the host/hostess stand that they were going by. I'm guessing they wouldn't let you in 1 minute after your time ended either (however, this didn't happen to us so it's only an assumption).
You would think that this would make the place less busy, but we had the hardest time finding a table for four people. Ordering was a breeze, but actually finding somewhere to sit took 5-10 minutes. Also, we sat in the West Wing; the pop machine in there had run out of syrup, so when you filled up your drink, all you got was carbonated water. We informed a CM, but by the time we left it still hadn't been fixed. Running into the ballroom to fill up drinks was a little inconvenient (and we were definitely going to use those free refills!). Honestly, everything but the tables was pretty dirty, or hadn't been wiped down/cleaned in a while. The whole place just seemed like it was in a huge rush to push you out (which I guess they are, after reading some of these comments). When we dined with FP+ on Jul 30, it was at 11 AM, and it didn't feel like that.
I agree with you on the no notice part. Be Our Guest is quite a hike back (especially for my 50-something parents), and not letting guests know before that hike is pretty poor, in my opinion. Like others said, "eat somewhere else! Refuse to take the return card!" That's kind of hard to actually do when you're in the moment, and have been waiting/planning to dine here for months (or years, in some guests' cases). Everyone's entitiled to their own opinions about this return system, but as someone who's tried it, I didn't like it.

omurice

i received an EXCLUSIVE EMAIL INVITATION to TEST a new BE OUR GUEST lunch reservation Pre-Selection process. It sounded great. It looked great. I decided to go ahead and be one of the TESTERS. i click on the new website URL and get transported to the reservation process... ALL IS GOING GREAT ----- BUT THEN ---- the magical recent failures of Disney's LACK OF PROJECT/PROCESS MANAGEMENT took over (BTW informational i am now a retired 40+ years Executive IT Management dummy :) ).... they give you a range of dates, in my case a 7 day window, to select from and that is just fine EXCEPT the last date i can select is 2 DAYS BEFORE MY CHECKIN......... you can call it an Alpha Test, you can call it a Beta Test, you can call it a User Stress Test... but i call it DUMBASS SYSTEMS DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT.

I've had this happen too, back in May had a reservation that started around the 17th. Had to move the plans to May 24, and of course all BOG FP still held onto that initial reservation week, the system never allowed me choose a BOG FP within the re-designed trip window. One more "small stuff" thing. One meal or ADR does not ruin my whole trip, but these small things do add up.

I'm glad they're testing and trying new ideas to alleviate the negatives of waiting for BOG lunch. But personally, I cannot see this test working, or making the guests overall happier. This a battle of attrition, a new method to turn people away. It does not serve more people, merely shuffles people around and encourages them to go away. No one hungry for lunch now or within an hour should line up for this place, unless you are thinking of getting hungry in 2 to 3 hours. Even those who get a return card may not be hungry in 3 hours to come back, anyone with kids will have eaten somewhere else - which I'm almost certain is the point of this exercise.
Return card is a stick in the guise of a carrot.

I know the restaurant is an attraction, people want to SEE it, but at least for the crowd that is actually hungry...
Solution is to improve capacity by making more offerings available in the FLE area. Improve the food offerings nearby at Gaston's, Pinocchio's and Storybook Circus. Some outdoor food carts themed in a BOG / Maurice style that sell actual food, not just pastries and lemonade. There's outdoor seating now in Storybook, but only pure sugar to eat over there. Gaston's is tiny, put some more outdoor seating in Belle's village. Offer some different items of solid food there besides a pork shank.
Food carts with some BOG-style offerings would go a long way to make guests happy who could not get in for lunch. A cup of potato leek or onion soup would make me happy, from a cart or not.

Nice, filling offerings nearby might improve the situation a great deal more than printing off a million "come back in 2.5 hours" cards.

Last edited:

disneydudette

Everything you said also applies to those whining about "their right" to stand in line...

The "right" to stand in line has been mentioned numerous times throughout the thread, by those against this test...

Perhaps I'm guilty of supporting the 'right' to stand in line:

So ridiculous Disney... the only place where you'll pay $75+ day to be told you can't stand in a line...

But I'd like to know why BOG's wait should be 30-40min.... yet it's now closer to 120mins...

I'd like to know why guests walking up to a QS location at 2p... are being turned away... even though it doesn't close for another hour...

I'd like to know why Disney thinks telling a guest at 11:15a to return at 2p is "satisfactory"...

If I could choose 30mins in line over 'current' testing... Absolutely I'd choose to stand in line.

Now I fully understand this IS testing... trial and error... on capacity, crowds, interest, etc. It absolutely makes sense for Disney to "skew" crowds to full capacity from open to close. Why is one guest waiting close to 45mins... yet an hour later... another waits only 15mins? Why do they have to 'wait' at all?

I'm sure, eventually, good things will come of this... but the current testing doesn't always leave me with that warm and fuzzy feeling.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom