New aerial view of the Fantasyland expansion construction site (august 14)

jumblue

Any idea why the sand/dirt is bright yellow around LM? It just strikes me as a weird detail, and it seems way too soon to be making the area look "beachy.

Just curious...

_Scar

Its going to be beautiful Im sure, especially Mermaid compared to California's exterior.

:sohappy:

Hands down. This will be MK's WS (as in being so gorgeous) :animwink:

Any idea why the sand/dirt is bright yellow around LM? It just strikes me as a weird detail, and it seems way too soon to be making the area look "beachy.

Just curious...

Well, it gives you an idea of where the outside lies and where the building will be. Maybe it's just for the benefit of the workers :shrug:

juan

Just curious...

its most likely foundation dirt
having a sandy dirt allows for good drainage and they can make it nice and stable for pouring concrete

Neverland

Just curious...

LOL, can you imagine what it would be like if they actually used real piles of sand to create the LM area? Everytime it rained it would be mud city and every time the wind blew hard enough, you'd hear shouts of "AHH! MY EYES!" :ROFLOL:

DisneyParksFan1

LOL, can you imagine what it would be like if they actually used real piles of sand to create the LM area? Everytime it rained it would be mud city and every time the wind blew hard enough, you'd hear shouts of "AHH! MY EYES!" :ROFLOL:

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

It'd be cool though, I think they'd make it work somehow.

jt04

Just curious...

Perhaps they have not placed enough port-a-pottys on site :lookaroun

But seriously, I think it is for drainage. I'd bet you will see it wherever there is to be a water feature.

By the way, Aurora's will have a water feature and they have dumped yellow sand in that area. Coincidence?

SeaCastle

I'm a sucker for water features. :)

If only they'd fix the ones in Caribbean Plaza. And Pecos Bill. And Italy. And Big Thunder.

NoChesterHester

Just curious...

I looked at the image for a bit. The colors all look a little enhanced. Just look at the color of the pavement.

At first I thought the yellow area was sub-foundation waterproofing (plastic). That would make sense for a water feature or for building elements, but the fact that we see vehicles driving on it says it isn't.

I believe Juan is right, it is fill sand, just made more yellow by the image's color enhancement. Most Florida soil is awful and special compacted fill needs to be brought in prior to setting the foundations. Clay or silt = bad for buildings.

NoChesterHester

But seriously, I think it is for drainage. I'd bet you will see it wherever there is to be a water feature.

It has nothing to do with drainage, but good thought. The water will be self enclosed and not "draining." It could be an environmental nightmare if the water features were allowed to impact the groundwater. They will be self contained and filtered separately.

It is engineered fill for areas of construction. More will be brought in. The mountain of soil at the southern wall is what was removed, the yellowish material is inserted back in just prior to construction.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yikes mermaid looks like one tiny building lay out. I was thinking maybe its just cause of the height of the picture, but I cant even see where its going to be the size of Pooh.
Will it be two levels? Just wondering because I know the ride layout and description shows that the vehicles descend downward under the sea as they start out.

My understanding is that the cars will descend "under the sea", but at no point will they pass under another section of the track. They will probably use the extra height to help provide the feel of being under water.

Dan

FutureWorld1982

Thanks for the aerial picture, first of all!!!
I think too that the LM's building looks small (especially if you compare it with the near Winnie the Pooh's building), but I'm 100% sure that they will do a great job!!! I can't wait to see it completed! (but i agree that the new area as a whole looks enormous!)

jt04

It has nothing to do with drainage, but good thought. The water will be self enclosed and not "draining." It could be an environmental nightmare if the water features were allowed to impact the groundwater. They will be self contained and filtered separately.

It is engineered fill for areas of construction. More will be brought in. The mountain of soil at the southern wall is what was removed, the yellowish material is inserted back in just prior to construction.

I'm thinking there will always be a certain amount of leaking or condensation build up and the yellow sand is specifically designed to allow that water to drain easier that might collect between the cement and natural earth. Someone mentioned all the other water features that no longer work. Perhaps they have learned some lessons. I could imagine that without this barrier water could collect, become trapped and eventually damage the concrete works. Just a guess though.

NoChesterHester

I'm thinking there will always be a certain amount of leaking or condensation build up and the yellow sand is specifically designed to allow that water to drain easier that might collect between the cement and natural earth. Someone mentioned all the other water features that no longer work. Perhaps they have learned some lessons. I could imagine that without this barrier water could collect, become trapped and eventually damage the concrete works. Just a guess though.

Let it go JT. The only new technology in building construction that Disney would want to push would be things to do with the ride itself. They will stick to tried and true methods of construction otherwise. There is no need to take the risk.

Believe me, from what I am seeing in the aerial photographs Disney is not inventing a new way of doing foundations or site prep work.

The "yellow" sand doesn't have anything to do with water features, but does have to do with water... as in keeping water from negatively impacting the structural foundation of the building.

jt04

Let it go JT. The only new technology in building construction that Disney would want to push would be things to do with the ride itself. They will stick to tried and true methods of construction otherwise. There is no need to take the risk.

Believe me, from what I am seeing in the aerial photographs Disney is not inventing a new way of doing foundations or site prep work.

The "yellow" sand doesn't have anything to do with water features, but does have to do with water... as in keeping water from negatively impacting the structural foundation of the building.

Where did I say Disney was pushing any technology? Since you read words that don't exist I will answer that for you. Nowhere. This could be a new practice or one that has been standard for awhile. I'm saying I believe it is for draining water which is especially important in this area. You mentioned that it would be a big deal if water from the fountains got into the ground water. Really? It is not like the will be using salt water. :lol:

This part of the MK has flood control features. Always has.:cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom