New aerial view of the Fantasyland expansion construction site (august 14)

jt04

Just a quick observation. The "pit" is still there it is just much more massive. The shots from Dumbo really mask the scale of this project and hide the pit completely. The question is, would they still put the utilidor in if they were not going ahead with the original plan for the Chateau. If they were converting it to a food service location I think they would or they could be keeping the original purpose. Also, Mermaid has gone vertical. Anyone who has seen close-up pics of the massive LM show building at DCA can start to get an idea of the scale of the FLE. Amazing to consider but even more so because this is only phase 1!

Thanks for the great photo.

Atomicmickey

AWESOME. Thank you to Scott Keating and WDW Magic for this regular feature. It's all you could wish for to keep tabs on the FLE.

Keep 'em coming, and THANKS again!

Lee

Adventurer
Looks like it is coming along nicely.
Thoughts:

-You can get a sense of the Mermaid area, now. The show building is clearly defined, and the yellow sand areas are what will become the exterior queue and M&G.

-No construction has begun on anything besides Mermaid and the BatB complex.

-The "pit" is possibly mostly a basement for the restaurant and Belle area. Thus far I don't see any connections being made to the existing utilidor system.

muteki

Is there any similar aerial photography of the construction at DCA? I would be interested to see what, if any difference, there is between the size/shape of our Little Mermaid vs. theirs.

Bork Bork

Does TLM seem tiny, tiny, tiny or is it just the angle?

I thought the same thing when comparing it to the entire cleared construction area. However, when you compare it to the size of the nearby excavators, it's really pretty large.

Does anyone know how the space compares to any existing dark rides? I can see it's smaller than HM and iasw, but it looks about the same size as Pooh?

Either way, love the pic and can't wait for more as the progress continues. Hats off to Mr. Keating!!:sohappy:

MarkTwain

Does TLM seem tiny, tiny, tiny or is it just the angle?

Well, the plot Mermaid was designed for at DCA isn't that large for an E-ticket dark ride showbuilding, as it just housed a theater before. So the Imagineers had to be pretty careful about how they used the given space, using the entire oddly-shaped building plot, using the whole building for the ride alone and keeping the queue outside, etc. Since Magic Kingdom is just getting a clone of the ride, it makes sense that our showbuilding is pretty small, too.

MarkTwain

I thought the same thing when comparing it to the entire cleared construction area. However, when you compare it to the size of the nearby excavators, it's really pretty large.

Does anyone know how the space compares to any existing dark rides? I can see it's smaller than HM and iasw, but is it bigger than Pooh?

Either way, love the pic and can't wait for more as the progress continues. Hats off to Mr. Keating!!:sohappy:

It's a bit larger than Pooh, but a lot larger than the other Fantasyland dark rides. A little smaller than Small World and HM (although about the same size as the Mansion at DL), and WAY smaller than Pirates and Great Movie Ride.

jt04

Looks like it is coming along nicely.
Thoughts:

-You can get a sense of the Mermaid area, now. The show building is clearly defined, and the yellow sand areas are what will become the exterior queue and M&G.

-No construction has begun on anything besides Mermaid and the BatB complex.

-The "pit" is possibly mostly a basement for the restaurant and Belle area. Thus far I don't see any connections being made to the existing utilidor system.

I am not refering to the excavated area under BatB but rather the area that has been excavated more towards the center of the plot and in front of Dirt Mountain. That is close to where the utilidor was projected. It is difficult to believe this pic and the most recent Dumbo pics were taken on the same day. I think someone has their dates mixed up.

Not sure if anyone else noticed but the FLE has expanded to the point that MK drive is down to one lane!!! Something is going to have to give here. Rerouting of the road? :shrug:

FutureWorld1982

Not sure if anyone else noticed but the FLE has expanded to the point that MK drive is down to one lane!!! Something is going to have to give here. Rerouting of the road? :shrug:

That's right! I didn't notice that! Thanks :wave:
I think they need more space, so they will finally re-route the road in another spot, nearer the RR...

Magenta Panther

That's right! I didn't notice that! Thanks :wave:
I think they need more space, so they will finally re-route the road in another spot, nearer the RR...

I wish they'd put in more places to sit in the MK. If you buy a hotdog there's no place to sit and enjoy it, or sit and rest your poor tired feet. DHS is much superior to MK in that regard.

Lee

Adventurer
I am not refering to the excavated area under BatB but rather the area that has been excavated more towards the center of the plot and in front of Dirt Mountain.
Ah...that one. Almost exactly under where the Cinderella area was projected to be.

That is close to where the utilidor was projected.
What are we basing that on?
The only "utilidor extension" (if that's what it is) on the blueprints would be more northwest of that hole. At least that's how it looks.

Did we not get a shot from any other angle? Not that I'm complaining, but multiple angles would really help...

Mark Twain said:
It's a bit larger than Pooh, but a lot larger than the other Fantasyland dark rides. A little smaller than Small World and HM (although about the same size as the Mansion at DL), and WAY smaller than Pirates and Great Movie Ride.
The Mermaid show building has roughly 14,600 sq/ft of ride space.
Big for a Fantasyland dark ride, but as you said quite a bit smaller than Pirates or Indy.

jt04

Hmmmmm. Just noticed the area between BatB and the construction walls appears as though it could possibly be the double spinner. It appears that their are two circular areas (whitish in color) that look very much like it could be the footprint of this mini-land. This would put Dumbo just outside the castle walls and just to the northwest of the current location. I seem to remember a rumor that plans had changed and it was moving not far from the current location instead of near the tea cups. This location would also allow Disney to open this section before the other areas and they could then shut down the current ride at the same time they open the new one. Also, at that point they could shut down toontown and minimize capacity issues. So could they plan on opening the new attraction relatively soon?

juan

Hmmmmm. Just noticed the area between BatB and the construction walls appears as though it could possibly be the double spinner. It appears that their are two circular areas (whitish in color) that look very much like it could be the footprint of this mini-land. This would put Dumbo just outside the castle walls and just to the northwest of the current location. I seem to remember a rumor that plans had changed and it was moving not far from the current location instead of near the tea cups. This location would also allow Disney to open this section before the other areas and they could then shut down the current ride at the same time they open the new one. Also, at that point they could shut down toontown and minimize capacity issues. So could they plan on opening the new attraction relatively soon?

dumbo is moving to its new location as planned

jt04

dumbo is moving to its new location as planned

Would that be plan A where it was going at the back of toontown, plan B where it was going next to the raceway or plan c where it was going near the current location? :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom