New Addition's To Disney's Animal Kingdom

RSoxNo1

The irony being that if they actually build a new land on the large northern undeveloped part, it would make a lot of sense to expand/modify the train to stop at Rafiki's as well as another stop in the "new" land before circling back to Africa. This would make it a more useful piece of park transport.

Rafiki's is pretty far away from the rest of the developed park, so I've got to imagine that if this ever where to happen (getting rid of the train), that it would have to coincide with developing the large area so you could walk through that land and be much closer to Rafiki's.

Also, is there any way to squeeze a guest path in between Kali and Majarajah Jungle Trek? Feel like that should be possible without a huge amount of reconfiguration.

My suggestion was to remove Kali and/or Maharajah Jungle Trek and put a train station near the water tanks for Kali. Have the train path form a triangle and fully expand that section of Asia to include an Asian Safari, a train station, and at least one walk through.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
AK can get rid of Dinoland because they have another dino area. It's called Flights of Wonder.

If Disney wants to keep on the Cars- Pandora- ToyStory- StarWars-Land path, then it should create a pre-historic land in the model of Avatar and populate it with more scientifically accurate looking dinos, which means a great portion of them should be feathered. The Land should feature accurate flora, too. That should put Jurassic Park to shame.

Fox&Hound

I want Dino-Rama gone!

But removing Dino-rama and bits of Dinoland USA out from under Dinosaur (CTX) would be quite the predicament. It would be an E-ticket without a thematic land supporting it. Dinosaur is the land's anchor. It's the signature attraction. If the plans are to remove Dinoland USA imagineers would either have to tailor around the Dinosaur ride to create a new identity for the land or rework Dinosaur (CTX) to fit the new land's theming. The silly Roadside Carnival aesthetic feels out of place and by proxy makes the Countdown to Extinction ride a one-off somewhat removed from the rest of the land anyway. The lands due for a change and for a more cohesive theme.

I'd happily embrace the removal of the hokey roadside tourist trap vibe. Keep Extinction, scorch the rest and start over. The problem then becomes do we want a realistic dino land? Doesn't that tread too much on Uni's Jurassic Park IP. It's that reason which led to imagineers giving us the silly Roadside Carnival look in the first place.

I'm torn. Dinosaurs cool but it's out of place with the rest of the land. Dinoland USA is cornball and ugly. Neither really work together and a slight theme change probably isn't going to help things, if that occurs. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see the entire land replaced with something new. Maybe Beastly Kingdom can grow legs and make right what is wrong in AK.

There's a lot of land in AK to add new stuff but I'd rather them fix the issues they have with Dinoland before building another IP mini land.

Could not agree more! Beautifully-stated!

Doug Means

"Welcome to a kingdom of animals... real, ancient and imagined" - Eisner. That's why dinosaurs fit into AK. And it's about time they do it justice, not a pack-down carnival.

Zootopia doesn't work because it touches on a lot of social issues. It's more humans as animals to make it easier to watch but still teaching kids at the same time. It has nothing really to do with animals. I mean don't get me wrong, I love the film and I'd totally love to see Disney do something more with this but just not in AK. If anything they should just shove it in Disney's IP Movie Park...
"imagined" - my 6 year old brain and my 6 year old imagine animals like Zootopia running around an animal themed park. it kind of works the same to me as dinosaurs in that statement.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
"imagined" - my 6 year old brain and my 6 year old imagine animals like Zootopia running around an animal themed park. it kind of works the same to me as dinosaurs in that statement.

Zootopia = Humanized animals. That's not "imagined". They are animals with human characteristics - walking, talking, higher brain functions. "Imagined" would be dragons, minotaurs, griffins, et al. Aka, NOT REAL ANIMALS.

JohnD

Would really like to see Dinoland turn into South America, or even 'The Americas'. It would be the best fit to flow with the park. It could be three mini-lands: A North America dinosaur-area which would include a theme update to Dinosaur and Restaurantsaurus, a Brazil-like 'pavilion' in lieu of Epcot with a full-service Brazillian steakhouse, and a Paradise Falls (Up IP) area with meet and greets, a ride and trails.

I also thought you could re-theme Dinosaur to Indy in S.A. (It's the same ride system as DL). But I could also see a dinosaur re-theme. The meteor that was thought to wipe out the dinosaurs hit in the Yucatan peninsula area.

JohnD

well I'm not sure how Dinosaurs fit, either. At least Zootopia is about animals. The Dinomania area is already kind of sillyish, so if the changed it to Zootopia (which my family likes a lot) i would not be apposed. at least its an animal theme in an animal park. Also Donald was part of Animal Kingdom when they had the character meet restaurant in the Dinosaur area.

Um. Dinosaurs were animals. Extinct animals. But real animals nonetheless.

Doug Means

The dragon in the AK logo agrees with me.
i know. I'm was just saying its not that big of a stretch to see Zootopia characters or area in a park that is called Animal Kingdom. my family likes the the movie and will love it if they decide to put something in for zootopia where ever they decide. i'm really not into caring much where they put it, its their decision on where they think it would be good for business. again I'm just saying animals in animal kingdom humanized or not, is not a stretch.

JohnD

I think that turning Dinoland into South America would be a smart idea.

Dinoland (as a concept) worked better park was supposed to be divided into seperate lands for mythical, real, and extinct animals. However, Everest in 2006 broke that layout, because now we have a ride about a mythical creature that's not in a Beastly Kingdom, but rather, in Asia, the place where the yeti myth originated. I like that. I'd rather see the park divided by location, with everything in the location it pertains to. Allows for more continents, and I think, more flexibility in the long run.

In the same way that the yeti myth originated in Asia, Dinosaurs are believed to have originated in South America. So, with a reworked entrance, Countdown to Extinction (because that's what it will be renamed) would fit in SA. As for the rest of the land, there's so much in that continent from which to draw ideas. And they can do a great job with it, if the Harambe expansion is any indication. The rides would probably need some IP integration in some form. Aside from Up, I can't think of any other Disney movies that take place, fully or partially, in South America. Can you?

Not only that but the meteor that is thought to have caused their extinction hit in the Yucatan Peninsula area (near S.A.). So it works not only for their origination but their extinction as well.

JohnD

i know. I'm was just saying its not that big of a stretch to see Zootopia characters or area in a park that is called Animal Kingdom. my family likes the the movie and will love it if they decide to put something in for zootopia where ever they decide. i'm really not into caring much where they put it, its their decision on where they think it would be good for business. again I'm just saying animals in animal kingdom humanized or not, is not a stretch.

Yes, it would be a stretch. All lands in AK are predicated on real continents and animals on Earth, whether alive or extinct, or the premise of traveling to a discovered ecosystem in space (Pandora). They are not about talking animals.

Doug Means

Yes, it would be a stretch. All lands in AK are predicated on real continents and animals on Earth, whether alive or extinct, or the premise of traveling to a discovered ecosystem in space (Pandora). They are not about talking animals.
you say yes it would be, and i say no it wouldn't be. in the long run i don't make the Disney decisions. its been fun reading your post!

clemmo

I doubt we see a full new land anytime soon ... an addition is likely a single ride (maybe two? Wishful thinking, I know ...). I imagine they know the blight that is Dinorama so that most definitely has to be on the chopping block in the short-term. And with WDW1974 alluding to a potential coaster (he didn't say it was definite) I think it leads to the Excavator plans being dusted off, but who knows, they've surprised us before.

I still want a Jungle Book dark ride ... lol. The park could use another family friendly dark ride. Though I'm not against the coaster as well, we should get something else to offset it.

I agree the park needs additions, not replacements (like DHS fails to understand), but I don't care if they replace the Dinorama area. It's not like they'd be replacing Dinosaur for the rumored coaster or whatever addition. If it's the coaster, we'd be replacing Primeval Whirl for a much better themed coaster. Losing the spinner isn't that big of a deal and they could potentially keep it and re-theme it, no? But we're getting into armchair stuff here ... and who knows exactly what they have planned. But I imagine the Dinorama area is on the chopping block. I'm sure Rhode would love to see that replaced. The park would be absolutely perfect without it and with a solid replacement that fits the rest of Dinoland.
I wouldn't mind a Jungle Book dark ride either. I think it could fit and AK needs family dark rides especially if they were to build another coaster.

JohnD

you say yes it would be, and i say no it wouldn't be. in the long run i don't make the Disney decisions. its been fun reading your post!

That's true we disagree. However, you're in the minority on this one. Even Pandora is a stretch. (See arguments ad nauseum in multiple other threads.) But I can begrudgingly accept it because it's about humans from Earth discovering another ecosystem beyond our planet and, as told in Avatar, almost destroying it. Nevertheless, the land wants you to believe Pandora is real. Zootopia no more fits in AK than Toy Story Land does.

DisneyparkFreak

While we are on this subject... Is there room in Pandora to add additional attractions when the time comes later down the road? (I know the land isnt officially open and its new) Just wondering.

KrzyKtty

In all fairness, they were originally going to put in the mythical creatures as well, so maybe it wouldn't be that big of a stretch. Zootopia might not be a unicorn or dragon, but it is just as real as they are. :D

JohnD

While we are on this subject... Is there room in Pandora to add additional attractions when the time comes later down the road? (I know the land isnt officially open and its new) Just wondering.

Looking at a recent map, it looks like a LONG walk from Pandora north to Africa.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom