New 7-11, Storage, and possible Wendy's coming RIGHT behind WDW Cast parking

EthanMagicBands

Original Poster
You must define 'improvements' first, though.

I'd argue that development in the Reams Road/Faux Windermere area have been a disaster for WDW. All that sprawl that Walt didn't want? It may have taken 30-plus years, but it has fully engulfed the immediate area. Disney should have bought as much land (and not sold off pieces that it did) behind the MK.

And people aren't stupid, so the idea this only affects locals isn't really true ... I've seen enough tourists in the McDonald's (the 'new' one) to know that people will find what they seek.

It's horrible really. But look at the development just west of Disney ... near Independence. So much land has been cleared in the last 18 months for ... sprawl ... nice looking cookie cutter strip centers with a Publix, a Ross, a Chipotle, a Starbucks ... and $950,000 lakefront homes that O-Town absolutely doesn't have the job market to have. And Disney? One need only look at the tree massacre at the Former Wilderness Lodge to see that Walt's old saying of ''We have enough land here for all the timeshares, tacky motels and buses we can possibly imagine" has become as laughable as "everybody's a VIP."

But, hey, I sure will be visiting that Wendy's because I am not mentally ill and don't think Disney's $13 burgers are MAGICal.

Someone sure is salty. I find the area behind Disney to be quite nice.

PhotoDave219

I know. I live 1 minute from it. We need another gas station.

No you don't.

There's another less than five miles from 535/Reams in either direction. One at the other Publix shopping center where 535 turns right and the other at the 7-11 by Ale house at the intersection of 535 & 535.

There's also a Racetrack right outside of MK parking. That is four gas stations within a five-to-seven mile radius of westclock.

GiveMeTheMusic

I'd argue that development in the Reams Road/Faux Windermere area have been a disaster for WDW. All that sprawl that Walt didn't want? It may have taken 30-plus years, but it has fully engulfed the immediate area. Disney should have bought as much land (and not sold off pieces that it did) behind the MK.

And people aren't stupid, so the idea this only affects locals isn't really true ... I've seen enough tourists in the McDonald's (the 'new' one) to know that people will find what they seek.

It's horrible really. But look at the development just west of Disney ... near Independence. So much land has been cleared in the last 18 months for ... sprawl ... nice looking cookie cutter strip centers with a Publix, a Ross, a Chipotle, a Starbucks ... and $950,000 lakefront homes that O-Town absolutely doesn't have the job market to have. And Disney? One need only look at the tree massacre at the Former Wilderness Lodge to see that Walt's old saying of ''We have enough land here for all the timeshares, tacky motels and buses we can possibly imagine" has become as laughable as "everybody's a VIP."

But, hey, I sure will be visiting that Wendy's because I am not mentally ill and don't think Disney's $13 burgers are MAGICal.

Agreed all around - that MK was put at the border of the property with little to no buffer behind it is weird. This particular area doesn't concern me too much however, since it's mostly used by cast and clued in locals - very few actual guests even know the area exists, let alone use it to access property.

And Wendy's looks more and more appealing when you're staring down a $16 burger at Pecos Bill!

raven

It was a lot nicer when it was all Orange Groves.
Agreed but those are quickly vanishing as the Metro area develops and it's growing extremely fast.
No you don't.

There's another less than five miles from 535/Reams in either direction. One at the other Publix shopping center where 535 turns right and the other at the 7-11 by Ale house at the intersection of 535 & 535.

There's also a Racetrack right outside of MK parking. That is four gas stations within a five-to-seven mile radius of westclock.
That 7-11 and Wendy's are going to make a killing. If CMs live closer than those gas stations you've listed (out the north entrance) this will be perfect. They no longer have to pass their homes to get gas then come back the opposite direction.

PhotoDave219

Agreed but those are quickly vanishing as the Metro area develops and it's growing extremely fast.

That 7-11 and Wendy's are going to make a killing. If CMs live closer than those gas stations you've listed (out the north entrance) this will be perfect. They no longer have to pass their homes to get gas then come back the opposite direction.

I'd be pretty ed if I bought a half-million dollar home and they put up a 7-11 near it. Those things drive down property values.

CaptainAmerica

This kind of "sprawl" isn't a problem because it's invisible to on-property guests.

ExMonorailCM

I'm kind of surprised this hasn't happened sooner with there being a decent amount of cm activity back there. Up until about 3 years ago there hasn't been much in that area until the Lakeside village and all the surrounding apartments were built. It's too bad, it used to be a nice quiet back way to get to and from work but it's getting busier and busier with all the traffic. Surely they'll have to rework that intersection behind MK and Reams at some point. Is there still a police officer out there directing traffic on a daily basis?

I've also noticed further down Reams rd and Avalon Rd is all being built up now. I can imagine that will only add to the congestion behind MK.

Horizons1

I've always been surprised Disney never made any effort to purchase all that, or at least some of that, land where this construction will be taking place. It has sat there for years and years with nothing on it. It should have been scooped up to provide s border or hell, at the very least expand cast parking. But who knows, had they purchased that land it may have become the site for another DVC resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom