New 7-11, Storage, and possible Wendy's coming RIGHT behind WDW Cast parking

EthanMagicBands

Original Poster
For those of you who are CM's or locals, Reams Road is the back entrance we all use to WDW. Here's what's going in:

20pc8oz.jpg

mikeh

All of the work that they're doing, infrastructure-wise, is much needed. A gas station might be nice, but it could get very crowded, same with the Wendys.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
For those of you who are CM's or locals, Reams Road is the back entrance we all use to WDW. Here's what's going in:

20pc8oz.jpg

I posted about this about 6 months ago, has there been any progress?

All of the work that they're doing, infrastructure-wise, is much needed. A gas station might be nice, but it could get very crowded, same with the Wendys.

This isn't a Disney project.

mikeh

This isn't a Disney project.

I know that this specific space isn't, but the whole area getting attention is much needed.

Also to answer your other question, there has been an almost complete land clearing and it looks like they've brought in some dirt. The Disney expansion/road widening hasn't seen any progress outside of moving electrical poles.

castlecake2.0

The area bordering Bay Lake, is that owned by Disney? I'm assuming it is or Im sure there would be hotels there by now, but how far does it expand back? Is this future use are at some point or just conservation. Also a gas station will be nice back there, but with all this expansion I hope it doesnt become a major Guest entrance to property as its not too glamorous back there.

*my own thoughts and not that of TWDC

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The area bordering Bay Lake, is that owned by Disney? I'm assuming it is or Im sure there would be hotels there by now, but how far does it expand back? Is this future use are at some point or just conservation. Also a gas station will be nice back there, but with all this expansion I hope it doesnt become a major Guest entrance to property as its not too glamorous back there.

This map shows who owns what in that area. The area above and to the right of Bay Lake is wetlands so hard to build on, but it is not part of the conservation area.

Capture.JPG

EthanMagicBands

Original Poster

A very small part of it is, but not much that you can see in that picture (looks like someone above this post pointed the land out). WDW's property ends right where that 7-11 is going in and they can't expand it any further back, and not much to the right either.

TONS of houses are going in within Windermere (where I live) back there, and this area is the de facto entrance for locals. They are actually building a bypass road from Reams right to Floridian Way for locals to come in without having to get through the backstage mess. They have to because of the huge population growth in what is called the Horizon West area back there. The new entrance will be pretty much where that Self Storage area is going in.

If you are not a local, none of this really matters. Normal vacation or out-of-town guests will never see this area.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Tone is hard to read, but I got the vibe from your post that you didn't think this was a good thing. Just asking! Any improvements back there are good ones.

You must define 'improvements' first, though.

I'd argue that development in the Reams Road/Faux Windermere area have been a disaster for WDW. All that sprawl that Walt didn't want? It may have taken 30-plus years, but it has fully engulfed the immediate area. Disney should have bought as much land (and not sold off pieces that it did) behind the MK.

And people aren't stupid, so the idea this only affects locals isn't really true ... I've seen enough tourists in the McDonald's (the 'new' one) to know that people will find what they seek.

It's horrible really. But look at the development just west of Disney ... near Independence. So much land has been cleared in the last 18 months for ... sprawl ... nice looking cookie cutter strip centers with a Publix, a Ross, a Chipotle, a Starbucks ... and $950,000 lakefront homes that O-Town absolutely doesn't have the job market to have. And Disney? One need only look at the tree massacre at the Former Wilderness Lodge to see that Walt's old saying of ''We have enough land here for all the timeshares, tacky motels and buses we can possibly imagine" has become as laughable as "everybody's a VIP."

But, hey, I sure will be visiting that Wendy's because I am not mentally ill and don't think Disney's $13 burgers are MAGICal.

tissandtully

You must define 'improvements' first, though.

I'd argue that development in the Reams Road/Faux Windermere area have been a disaster for WDW. All that sprawl that Walt didn't want? It may have taken 30-plus years, but it has fully engulfed the immediate area. Disney should have bought as much land (and not sold off pieces that it did) behind the MK.

And people aren't stupid, so the idea this only affects locals isn't really true ... I've seen enough tourists in the McDonald's (the 'new' one) to know that people will find what they seek.

It's horrible really. But look at the development just west of Disney ... near Independence. So much land has been cleared in the last 18 months for ... sprawl ... nice looking cookie cutter strip centers with a Publix, a Ross, a Chipotle, a Starbucks ... and $950,000 lakefront homes that O-Town absolutely doesn't have the job market to have. And Disney? One need only look at the tree massacre at the Former Wilderness Lodge to see that Walt's old saying of ''We have enough land here for all the timeshares, tacky motels and buses we can possibly imagine" has become as laughable as "everybody's a VIP."

But, hey, I sure will be visiting that Wendy's because I am not mentally ill and don't think Disney's $13 burgers are MAGICal.
I'm sure it will be a higher price than a normal Wendy's, that McDonalds is one of the more expensive ones I've been to.

71jason

It's horrible really. But look at the development just west of Disney ... near Independence. So much land has been cleared in the last 18 months for ... sprawl ... nice looking cookie cutter strip centers with a Publix, a Ross, a Chipotle, a Starbucks ... and $950,000 lakefront homes that O-Town absolutely doesn't have the job market to have.

Usually a Subway, not a Starbucks. The area is more down-market than you might think. All the CMs have been priced out of SW Orange (think Westwood Blvd) and forced to move toward 27. I agree the million-dollar homes are domed to fail--particularly when they have NO GARAGE and are so close you and your next-door neighbor literally could fist-bump through your windows--but the sprawl reflects the fact this is the new bedroom community for WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom