New “High Surf” B&M Coaster for 2023

Jon81uk

Did we need a "coaster capital?" People come here specifically for the immersive, big budget theme park experience. I don't know if abandoning their old identity and settling for being Orlando's Six Flags is wise.

Due to the issues around keeping whales in captivity they have to abandon their old identity.
Seaworld can't compete with Disney & Universal for immersion, so why not offer something no other park in Florida can offer?

lazyboy97o

Due to the issues around keeping whales in captivity they have to abandon their old identity.
Seaworld can't compete with Disney & Universal for immersion, so why not offer something no other park in Florida can offer?
How is what most regional parks offer something that no other park could offer? The is no inability to focus on coasters, it just doesn’t support the sort of wide ranging visitation and high price points desired by Disney and Universal. It’s not enough to be established as a destination.

Jrb1979

How is what most regional parks offer something that no other park could offer? The is no inability to focus on coasters, it just doesn’t support the sort of wide ranging visitation and high price points desired by Disney and Universal. It’s not enough to be established as a destination.
From my perspective it makes no sense for them to be like the other 2 parks in the area. They aren't after the Disney loyalists that can't handle real rides.

JT3000

They don't have to abandon anything, they're only doing it because they decided to throw in the towel and let the eco-hippies win. I'm not convinced this will actually be what's best for business in the long-term when they're instead offering what any other local amusement park in the country can offer, just with added travel expenses. It's not that the other Florida parks can't offer nothing but lightly-themed roller coasters, they don't do it because they're above that.
From my perspective it makes no sense for them to be like the other 2 parks in the area. They aren't after the Disney loyalists that can't handle real rides.
So instead of being like the other parks in the area, they'll be like the other parks... everywhere else. Why travel to Orlando for something you can likely find closer to your home? And Disney has a ride that messed me up far worse than anything at SeaWorld, so I don't know where you're going with this "real rides" narrative.

Jrb1979

They don't have to abandon anything, they're only doing it because they decided to throw in the towel and let the eco-hippies win. I'm not convinced this will actually be what's best for business in the long-term when they're instead offering what any other local amusement park in the country can offer, just with added travel expenses. It's not that the other Florida parks can't offer nothing but lightly-themed roller coasters, they don't do it because they're above that.

So instead of being like the other parks in the area, they'll be like the other parks... everywhere else. Why travel to Orlando for something you can likely find closer to your home? And Disney has a ride that messed me up far worse than anything at SeaWorld, so I don't know where you're going with this "real rides" narrative.
People don't just go to Orlando just for Disney and Universal. There is also lots of people who add a day at SeaWorld on top of visiting those other parks.

The real rides thing is more out of frustration. Yes I am negative towards Disney a lot but a lot of it stems from the negativity and hatred towards coaster parks.

lazyboy97o

People don't just go to Orlando just for Disney and Universal. There is also lots of people who add a day at SeaWorld on top of visiting those other parks.
Adding a day means it’s not a primary destination. It is easier to switch out with all of those other offerings, especially if it becomes more similar to something available closer to home at a lower price point.

SeaWorld Abu Dhabi isn’t going to have any whales buts it’s also not an iron park. It has a model of themed environments that could be exported to the US parks.

Jrb1979

Adding a day means it’s not a primary destination. It is easier to switch out with all of those other offerings, especially if it becomes more similar to something available closer to home at a lower price point.
SeaWorld was never meant to be the primary destination in Orlando. People are already adding it on to their vacations. It's in the same tier has Legoland. People don't make that their primary destination but it works.

lazyboy97o

SeaWorld was never meant to be the primary destination in Orlando. People are already adding it on to their vacations. It's in the same tier has Legoland. People don't make that their primary destination but it works.
It worked because SeaWorld was a very unique place, completely different from other local parks and aquariums.

Legoland parks are smaller but Merlin has been rather successful in making them more of a destination. The parks are located further out from main tourist areas and they have been adding multiple hotels to support the visitation.

Jrb1979

It worked because SeaWorld was a very unique place, completely different from other local parks and aquariums.

Legoland parks are smaller but Merlin has been rather successful in making them more of a destination. The parks are located further out from main tourist areas and they have been adding multiple hotels to support the visitation.
Right now what they are doing seems to be working. They aren't going to compete with adding in dark rides. They don't excel in it like they other 2 parks do.

Jon81uk

I stated no other park in FLORIDA is offering. Comparisons to regional parks is pointless as effectively in Florida Seaworld and Busch Gardens are the regional parks.
There will be a large number of people who don't live near a coaster park and will tag on Seaworld and/or BGT to a Disney or Universal trip.
Also international guests, we don't have anything like Mako or Kraken or Journey to Atlantis or Ice Breaker in the UK.

SW and BG will not be able to compete with Universal & Disney on IP-based attractions or dark rides. So by offering something the other Florida parks don't it ensures they have a different line-up.

tcool123

To the people against SeaWorld being the coaster capital of Orlando you do realize its not all about international tourism? Florida is thid most populous state with Orlando being perfectly in the center for two of the major metropolitan area of the state with Miami-Ft Lauderdale-West Palm and Jacksonville. (Tampa has Busch Gardens)

Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks often have smaller potential pools of guests but SeaWorld is essentially the closest coaster park for Floridians, and that’s a good niche to have IMO. In my eyes its the Knotts Berry Farm of the area with great coasters, nice themed areas, and a loyal fan base.

Building all these coasters has helped SeaWorld reach the attendance levels they once held preBlackfish and has been able to convince many people from my generation (Gen Z) to go back.

If the argument is that SeaWorld cant be a day trip from the Greater Miami metropolitan area or Jacksonville then SeaWorld still has Central Florida home to over 8 million people.

SeaWorld is a locals park that heavily benefits from tourism brought in by the others and is a must do for any roller coaster enthusiast a great place to be in Orlando.

SplashJacket

Original Poster
Did we need a "coaster capital?" People come here specifically for the immersive, big budget theme park experience. I don't know if abandoning their old identity and settling for being Orlando's Six Flags is wise.
It’s filling a void in Orlando, but also, the quality, scale, and caliber of coasters added in Orlando rival the best coasters at other regional coaster parks.

A lot of parks can’t afford a hyper coaster like Mako, but Sea World can.

There’s clearly demand for these coasters, because when you look at Universal, Rip Ride Rockit has massive waits despite being aggressively mediocre.

Besides the flag-ship parks for Six Flags and Cedar, coaster additions are rare. Parks can go a decade between note-worthy additions.

If it wasn’t for covid, Sea World was getting 3 major coasters within 5 years. Now it’ll be just over 5 years, but regardless, other parks across the country just don’t see that many new coasters, especially when Mako is world-class and the jury still out on this surf coaster.

A lot of parks avoid B&M because they demand a pretty penny. Sea World works with them consistently. Hopefully, with Iron Gwazi opening, they bring an RMC to Orlando.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They need a tagline. And the diverse offerings work for us. We give Seaworld 2 days a trip. And we’re so close to sacrificing another WDW day for it.

tcool123

It's easy to justify doing 2 days at SeaWorld when the park and Undercover Tourist often offers multi-day ticket promos (some with food) and there's a free shuttle from UNI and other local hotels.

You could do a day of coasters/rides and a day seeing shows and exhibits, for example.
With SeaWorld also offering nearly year round festivals there's also great bonus activities rather it be the Seven Seas Food Festival, their spectacular looking Holiday offerings, Electric Ocean & Ignite 360, Spooktacular, etc.

Plus the Sharks Underwater Grill is surprisingly high quality given the expected level of food within a theme park. The coconut chicken tenders with the spicy Flroida citrus marmalade was amazing, and remains one of my favorite things in the park. In addition, if Waterway Grill still offers empanadas they were pretty decent for a theme park.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It's easy to justify doing 2 days at SeaWorld when the park and Undercover Tourist often offers multi-day ticket promos (some with food) and there's a free shuttle from UNI and other local hotels.

You could do a day of coasters/rides and a day seeing shows and exhibits, for example.
I’m sure you guys get it too, but in the U.K. there’s a 3 parks for 14 days ticket (SW, BGT and AQ) and often with free parking. It’s insanely good value. DC can often be an add on too. That’s easily over a weeks entertainment.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

I’m sure you guys get it too, but in the U.K. there’s a 3 parks for 14 days ticket (SW, BGT and AQ) and often with free parking. It’s insanely good value. DC can often be an add on too. That’s easily over a weeks entertainment.

Yes, that ticket is available stateside too.

I think any DC ticket automatically includes 14 days use of SeaWorld and Aquatica, with the option to add on BGT.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No

Once upon a time, that pass also included Universal/IOA... those were the days...

matt9112

He said no other park IN CENTRAL FLORIDA..... Kind of a key point there....besides seaworld is still a cut above six flags.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom