Never been to Epcot, help

mom2redheadgirl

Hi,
This year we are planning a half day to Epcot. I have never been because at our last WDW trip we only did MK and MGM. We have 3 small children (ages 4, 3 and infant) and don't want to waste anytime on anything boring. We know there is a very limited amount of things to do there for kids so we are only doing a half day. Can you tell me some must sees/dos at Epcot? Thanks.
Steph

bhg469

Sirst of all sorry you have never been there. I have spent sveral days at epcot and have still not seen it all. With younger children they probably would get a kick out of the living seas. But really theres not much bad to do there. Mission space may be a little too much for them but everything else really needs to be expierienced.

Upvote 0
J

joviacdan

You will need and want much more than half a day at Epcot.

You've got Journey Into Imagination, Test Track, Spaceship Earth, Living Seas, Innoventions.

Then you've got some cool stuff at World Showcase too - El Rio De Tiempo, Maelstrom, American Adventure.

I don't find Epcot boring at all. I think it's full of stuff to do and it's very beautiful.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Never underestimate the power of EPCOT!!!! There are tons of child friendly things to do in this park. Check out the Kidcot fun stations in each country in World Showcase. Dont forget the playground in Norway. Definitely stop by and check out Off Kilter in Canada. They are a very talented music group who is great for adults, but my 2 1/2 year old niece got up and started dancing to them without anyone telling her to do so!!!! Many of the rides/ attractions here are mild enouh for the kids to go on including the Land, Energy, Spaceship Earth etc. I would definitely tell you this is MUCH More than a 1 /2 day park!!! Belle

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Sorry forgot a few things....dont forget the Characters on the bus that come into World Showcase. When I was there many characters had no lines. In addition , you can meet many characters in their "Home countries" Belle

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
If I only had a half day at Epcot I'd do...

Mission: Space
Test Track
Spaceship Earth
Journey into Imagination
Honey I Shrunk the Audience (since it's your first time)
Malestrom
El Rio del Tiempo (or however you spell it)

and with any leftover time I'd do the following in this order:
The Land
The Living Seas
The American Adventure
Ellen's Energy Adventure

Upvote 0

DisneyrazZ

If you do Honey I shrunk the audience....be aware that there are a lot of scenes in there that might frighten young children, especially with as young as yours are...

i agree about the Kidcot stations around the world...your 3 and 4 year olds will love being able to be creative and it will make their experience more enjoyable...

i for one think Epcot is more for adults than children because it is a very educational park and children usually aren't too keen on learning on vacation :rolleyes:

-=DisneyrazZ=-

Upvote 0

Kermit the Frog

Originally posted by mom2redheadgirl
We have 3 small children (ages 4, 3 and infant) and don't want to waste anytime on anything boring.

Epcot is a theme park that focuses on education. It covers everything from the history of human communication to the life in the oceans. Many of us here love Epcot very much even though many of the attractions are slow moving or in theaters and don't offer much action. What some people call boring we call entertaining and informative.

If you want action and adventure (a.k.a. "non-boring"), then there are two E-ticket rides for you in Epcot: Test Track and Mission: Space. Do take note that none of your kids are likely tall enough or old enough to ride those attractions. Maelstrom in Norway is fun and entertainment on the family level, but I doubt they'll let you take your infant on the ride.

Seeing how this is your first trip to Epcot, you should plan on spending a whole day in the park. There are lots of things to see and do, and you'll spend a couple of hours minimum going though World Showcase. Have a back-up park in mind should you not like the park and want to go elsewhere for the remainder of the day.

If your kids are able to sit through lengthy, slow rides and shows (most rides are between 8 - 20 minutes, and shows are usually between 15 and 45 minutes), then you'll easily spend a whole day in the park. If they have short attention spans then you'll be very limited in the park. Try not to be judgemental in the park. You'll never know if your kids will like a ride unless they ride it and give it a shot. The vast majority of the rides are kid friendly. There are lots of cases where kids as young as yours love the park, while others hated it.

Upvote 0

Katherine

If your little ones are adventurous Maelstrom Might be a good ride too. I didn't like it when I was little but I'm a real scaredy cat so you might want to check it out.

Upvote 0

MichRX7

Premium Member
We were just last December with four little ones. Three boys (3, 3, 4) and on girl (5) and they had a great time at Epcot. If I were you I would consider making it a full day.

First off they will spend a lot of time watching/looking in the Living Seas. Will love JiYI and "Shrunk". They also really liked the Kidcot stands around world showcase (which surprised me). EEA was a hit when the dino sneezed on them. WoL wasn't open this year, but the last time we took them they really had fun with a lot of the exhibits inside (if it's open when you are there).

Pick up a copy of WDW for Kids and read to them on some of the Epcot stuff. You'll find there is plenty for them to spend a full day there.

Of course our little one's are Disneyfeid and for fun at home they put in the old WDW Explorer CD and tell me all the stuff that's missing/changed, lol...that CD is older than they are. :lol:

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Epcot is a great place, young children can enjoy it too. Make sure you are there at night for illunations. Don't miss living seas (as said above) the light up side walk a night in Future Land.

There is just so much to explore and take in a lesurely pace. Kids love running around the different countries in WS, don't miss it. Our almost 3 year old (and her best friend same age) had a blast getting different pressed pennies in each country, we enjoyed shopping. The rides in Mexico and Norway are good for kids and the moive in France is just beatiful. Yes there is more for adults there, but that does not mean young kids can't enjoy themselves while adults have some fun. Be sure to check out the min train set (really big actually) in Germany. Try out treats in differnt lands. Each land has character (Jasmine and Aldain in Morrco, Belle and Beast in France, snow white in Germany.) These are great places to see them and no wait normally, just just walk out and surprize you. Many of the street shows are great to stop and wacth.

Eat at the Garden Grill in Epcot (the land) they have a good character dinner with Mickey, pluto and chip and dale. (and ice cream soical too that this cheaper.) Kids under 3 are free. (get PS)

It is no fansty land, but a different kind of day, not to be missed.

Our last trip we all left saying "I wish we had spent more time in Ecpot." (4 adults, 2 children just under 3 and a 12 year old). If you can only swing a 1/2 day that will have to do, but it is really at least a 2 day park. Warning, there is a lot of walking and things are spread out. It can be a bit difficult because of this in the rain.

Upvote 0

mom2redheadgirl

Original Poster
Wow!

I am surprised that there is a lot for kids at Epcot. I really apprieciate the insight on the playground, character meets and stop offs. I know the official Disney website only gave me 4 attractions for preschoolers so I am glad to know there are lots of mild rides there. My 4 year old is a chicken sometimes so we will have to see how that goes. :rolleyes: I am actually really into the idea of what Epcot offers and it would be so cool to me and my nerdy husband to spend time there. I think I was just under the impression it was an adults only park. Again thanks for the help!
Steph :wave:

Upvote 0

Nicole

Epcot doesn't necessarily have a lot of rides, but there is a lot to do! We've always spent more time there than in any of the other parks. There are some fun interactive things in Innoventions, my 3 y.o. loved the robot dog. She also had a blast getting soaked in the sidewalk fountain outside Mission:Space while the big people in our group rode that (next time I'm bringing a change of clothes for her every day, just in case!)

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

OMG I so forgot about the play fountains!!!! There are two of them in EPCOT one right by Mission:Space and one along the main walkway into World Showcase on your right hand side if Spaceship Earth is behind you!!! I think you will be amazed at how much your children will enjoy EPCOT!!!!!!!! It is a LOT of walking though so a stroller is definitely the way to go for all three kids!!! Have Fun!!! Belle

Upvote 0
Our little ones love EPCOT - they love the music and the wandering shows outside the countries. But most of all they love the "jumping water" - that is what they call them. In the areas near Mission Space & the walkway to World Showcase EPCOT has two areas where water squirts from circle to circle. Be sure to take a second set of clothes and a towel along. We usually put them in bathing suits either under their clothes or take them along. Be sure to watch shoes - take water shoes or ones that can get wet. There is nothing more enjoyable for a little one then to run in the water. The other ideas are also great, but really plan for this one if the day is hot. I second the idea that you should increase this to a whole day if you can. Rent a double stroller for the 3 & 4 year olds and just enjoy the park at the speed comfortable to you. The kidcots masks are great fun and all kids love to do them.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom