Never Been to Disney! Needing Help on which Resort to Stay at.

tpah92

Hi everyone! I am new to this site and the whole Disney experience. Just some quick information. We are planning a trip to DW June 23-June 30. It will be Dh and I and 2 daughters, ages 4 & 7. My daughters love the Princesses and Playhouse Disney. I'm sure we will be spending at least a couple of days at Magic Kingdom as well as one day each MGM, Epcot, and Animal Kingdom.

Right now we are thinking of Wilderness Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, or Port Orleans Riverside. From pricing packages on the Disney website, Wilderness Lodge is about $800.00 more that POFQ and POR. Is it worth it? I know WL is close to Magic Kingdom, so that would be a plus but all the choices are overwhelming :brick:. We do plan on purchasing the dining plan, which sounds like a great deal.

So, if anyone can offer suggestions or tips on choosing it would be greatly appreciated! Or if there is another resort that I may not have though of, that someone can suggest.

Thanks for your help!:)

Tracy

tigsmom

The WL is a deluxe so thats why its more. Is it worth it? IMHO...yes. We have stayed there numerous times and plan on going back.
I guess it all comes down to just what do you want from a room? Do you plan on using the facilities or just sleep there? We always take time to use the pool, arcade, etc so to us it more than just a bedroom. We love the atmosphere, the relaxed attitude and the beauty of the place. The boat trip to the MK is very nice and you can take a launch over to the Contemporary to hit the monorail.

I'm sure there will be others along soon to give their point of view. I'd like to stay at POFQ someday, but I've been over ruled a few times. :lol:

PS Welcome aboard!

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

First, I will say that we have at least 24 separate threads on people's opinions on different resorts so in addition to my 2 cents worth please do a search for lots of other peoples opinions as well. You are basically asking is it worth the difference in price between being in one of the deluxe hotels versus one of the moderates. The short answer is yes. The longer answer is:
All of the resorts at WDW in the moderate and deluxe range are wonderful. None of the three you are considering are walking distance to anything, so you will deal with the shuttle bus or your car for any of them, and the shuttel bus service is terrific to all three. The difference in time between resorts and your hotel will be almost negiligible with your three choices. You can't go wrong with any of them. I would not suggest POFQ for people with young children - it is geared more toward adults and there are not that many attractions or things to keep them busy there - you have more choices at both WL and PORS. FQ also does not have it's own restaurant and the food court is limited. That being said, by own choice of those three is POFQ (always in an adult party, no kids in our group). The Port Orleans resorts have the added perk of the boat to downtown disney which the kids will love and which makes it more convenient to fill evening hours with activities.

You have made great choices! If you want to "see" what the resorts look like, take a look at one of the books like Passporter 2006 or The Unofficial Guide to WDW 2006 - both have detailed maps of each of the resorts, the layout, the pool locations, and ratings of each of them.

THere are at least 10 separate threads on the merits of Riverside vs French Quarter - read through them and you will get a flavor for the hotels people prefer and for which reasons. As to the difference between the moderates and the deluxe hotels, it is a matter of degree. The Moderates at WDW are still higher quality than any everyday motels you might stay at at other vacation destinations. Still, the deluxe have better food options, nicer views, etc (this won't make any difference to your kids, but it might for you).

Upvote 0

Familyfun

""Welcome"" I am also new to this site... and taking the family down on
Aug 12th.. DH and DS17, DS10 have never been.. We booked at the PORiverside because of all the wonderful things I have heard about it on this site and several others... (It really helps to have all these Experieced Disney travelers to give us great tips ) Also I have family that goes about twice a year (they live in GA I am so far OH) ... Anyway they have stayed in several of the resorts and really prefer the PORiverside.. They love the atmosphere and their kids really enjoy the wildlife and they say the pool is really cool.... They do prefer the Mansions over the Bayou.. seem to be closer to everything... I have requested the Oak Manor on the mansion side.. Looks like it is pretty close to everything ... (hope it is)
I did stay at the Poly when I was 16 and the monorail made it very convenient... But now that I am footing the bill. It is a little pricey for me.. Hope to stay there again someday :) :) :)

Upvote 0

wannab@dis

Welcome to the boards! :wave:

You can't go wrong with any one of your choices. PO Riverside would probably be my choice. You get what many consider to be the best moderate and you save some money. No matter what you choose, enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

SallyShine

I've stayed at WL and POR and would suggest WL. It's a beautiful resort and you get the benefits of being on the lake (boat to mk & water parade). I didn't like POR as you have to walk, ALOT! With 2 younger children, that could be a problem. But, wherever you decide to stay, you will have a great time.

Upvote 0

Kadee

All three are wonderful resorts. While I think just about anyone would love WL, we usually stay at POR. The price difference is pretty big and we can extend our vacation by a few days just by staying at POR over WL. So, if money is a factor, go with POR. You will NOT be disappointed. The grounds are amazing! You can always take a trip over to WL during your stay. Visiting other resorts is one of my favorite things to do at WDW.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

tpah92 said:
Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it!

You all are a great source of information.

Tracy
Welcome to the Boards, Tracy!!! I am kinding going with the Majority here and saying that a Moderate might be a nice idea for your first trip. Not too pricey without suffering too much in the way of amenities. I happen to think WL is a pretty cool place to stay. I have been in and out of the hotel a bunch of times and have eaten there a few times at Whispering Canyon Cafe ( A fun place and definitely worth taking a look at for a dinner) I havent gotten to stay there as of yet but the one feature that WL offers that PORS doesnt is Bunk beds for the kids and Queen size beds for the adults. Bunks are never promised but can be added as a request. PO Riverside has two full size beds in most rooms and the rooms on the Alligator Bayou side have a trundle bed that can be pulled out from underneath one of the full size beds. This is pretty small and would only fit a child. All of that having been said I went to Disney 5 times last year and have stayed at Riverside 3 out of those 5. Not bad huh?? Belle

Upvote 0

tpah92

Original Poster
Hi Belle! Thanks for the info. Since you have stayed at POR several time, is there a certain area you would suggest staying in? I have read a few reviews and it seems like you can end up doing alot of walking at the resort to get to your room if you are in a certain building. And I don't know how well 2 kids would do after walking all day at a park. Thanks in advance for your help!

Tracy:)

Upvote 0

no2apprentice

Welcome to the forums. :)

We have only stayed at AKL (our favorite), WL, and off-property. So I have no reference on staying at the mods.

One consideration for us (actually me) was queen sized beds. I don't sleep well in a double, so all of the places we stayed at including off-property had queen sized beds. I don't know if this would be factor for you and your hubby, but at Disney I want to get a good nights sleep so I'm not cranky and tired the next day, so for myself the extra money to stay at a deluxe was worth it.

Whatever you decide, I strongly recommend getting the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World. Even if you don't follow their plans exactly, having ANY plan is better than no plan at all. The book is full of great advice, tips, and it's not sugar coated...there are definately some stressors on a Disney trip that will be easier to deal with if you're armed with advanced information. You'll get far more out of you first trip if you've done some homework and know what you're up against.

Wherever you decide to stay, you'll have a great time. If you can afford it, I'd say go for WL. But that's just me!:D

Upvote 0

ryguy

It always amazes me how many people love the wilderness Lodge. I think people love the lobby. Did you know that the wilderness lodge is the most requested hotel on property. That being said, pick Riverside. WL doesn't have a monorail so you will be stuck on the buses if you don't have a car. The room size is roughly same between WL and Riverside. Also, the rooms at riverside have just been refurbished which is always a plus. The food court at Riverside is the best on property, be sure to try the cookies!! $800.00 is a lot of money, for that you should get a lot more bang for your buck, but you really don't, just a nicer lobby. Either way you can't go wrong, you will enjoy both hotels. I love the Polynesian, but its pricey, however the rooms are bigger than most disney hotels. There rooms are being refurbished as well. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

ryguy said:
It always amazes me how many people love the wilderness Lodge. I think people love the lobby. Did you know that the wilderness lodge is the most requested hotel on property. That being said, pick Riverside. WL doesn't have a monorail so you will be stuck on the buses if you don't have a car. The room size is roughly same between WL and Riverside. Also, the rooms at riverside have just been refurbished which is always a plus. The food court at Riverside is the best on property, be sure to try the cookies!! $800.00 is a lot of money, for that you should get a lot more bang for your buck, but you really don't, just a nicer lobby. Either way you can't go wrong, you will enjoy both hotels. I love the Polynesian, but its pricey, however the rooms are bigger than most disney hotels. There rooms are being refurbished as well. Hope that helps.

Since Katrina, POFQ is the most popular, there was a huge write up about that in the NYTimes not so long ago.

Have you stayed at the WL? There is so much more to it than the lobby.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Welcome!
You've made some great choices, but in all honesty, no matter what you choose, you'll have a great time. My personal preference is POR, but I've never stayed there with young children. (When our kids were little, we stayed at CBR). WL is a great place too, and if you don't mind spending the extra $$$, it's well worth it. Whatever you decide on, have a great trip!

Upvote 0

ryguy

I don't read the times, however, I don't think that will last very long. POFQ IMOP is the worst on property. I guess they are getting the sympathy vote from Katrina. Keep in mind after 9/11 they actually closed POFQ, it just isn't that popular compared to the other Disney hotels. I also think Dixie Landings changing there name to Port Orleans Riverside, helped the FQ a great deal. People are led to believe they are comparable resorts and they are not. For the record I have stayed at Wilderness Lodge and think its a nice hotel. However, I can't justify the $800.00 price difference between WL and PORS. The rooms are the same size, the food court is not as nice as PORS, and the transportation is the same. (boats and busses) The pools are similar. The only thing that is different is the theming of the hotels. All the other factors such as a restaurant or Electric water Show can be seen without paying the high price of staying at this particular hotel. Now if the choice was between the Polynesian and PORS I could make the argument for the higher price. Keep in mind this person has never stayed at a disney hotel, so they have no perspective on what the differences really are. Also, atmosphere and theming likes and dislikes you can not put a monetary value on. Some people like the western feel, others like the southern feel. However, tangible differences, rooms size etc... you can. Hope that clears things up. I am curious to hear your response and why you think its worth the extra $800 bucks.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

tpah92 said:
Hi Belle! Thanks for the info. Since you have stayed at POR several time, is there a certain area you would suggest staying in? I have read a few reviews and it seems like you can end up doing alot of walking at the resort to get to your room if you are in a certain building. And I don't know how well 2 kids would do after walking all day at a park. Thanks in advance for your help!

Tracy:)
Sure anytime!!! Riverside does happen to be one of my personal favorites!!! I love the theming and the atmosphere. Ill give you a link here to a person's website of pictures of both Riverside and French Quarter. These pictures are lovely and the resort in person is even more impressive. the link is:
http://home.comcast.net/~candisfl/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-.html
OK now that we have gotten past the visuals which are to my mind pretty impressive, section to choose. My personal favorites are the Mansions. I would choose Parterre Place or Oak Manor of the four they seem to be the closest to the main building for food check in etc. I like the layout of the Mansions, the Bayou side is too twisty for me and I keep getting lost over there although I prefer their quiet pools. I dig the Mansion pools as well but the Bayous have a more intimate feel. Just as an addition Ill give you a link to Deb Wills' website www.allearsnet.com the link I want you to see is here:
http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/pomap1.jpg
the green side is Riverside, the brick red side is French Quarter. Coming up from the bottom of the map along the Sassagoula River the Mansions are on the right hand side of the map, Parterre Place is first, the Oak Manor, then Magolia Terrace, then Acadian House. All of the other buildings are considered part of Alligator Bayou. Look for the numbers on the Alligator Bayou buildings, The ones closest to the Main Building area are 14, 15, 16, and 18. That is my recommendation for a room area in the Bayou section. I Also recommend eating at Boatwright's that is probably one of my favorite places anywhere including here in NYC!!! for breakfast!!! Their food is amazing, great portion sizes and warm southern hospitality in the service. I dont think you can go wrong there although some of my favorites are the Banana stuffed French Toast and the Blueberry pancakes. Also make sure you take a walk over to the fishing hole. it is catch and release, but the atmosphere is pure Mark Twain complete with cane poles for rent!!! Very neat place!!! Also Old Man Island is the themed pool with more to do there than just swim which is what the quiet pools are made for. Any otehr questions, please feel free to ask!!! Belle

Upvote 0

Mick_claw

We chose to stay at OKW. They have the most space out of all the other resorts as far as spacious room size, more like a condo than a hotel room, living room, kitchen etc... If you rent a car, it's the only resort that I know of where you can park right in front of your room. It was the first DVC resort built. After OKW was built the others kind of followed in a hotel style. SS the newest DVC resort built kind of went back to the OKW design as far as parking goes but not really, it's more like parking lots assigned to buildings. Plus if I'm not mistaken ( I never like to say anything definate about Disney because there are people on here that will smoke me on Disney knowledge.) I believe they have the deepest pool out of all the resorts 5' 8" or 9" in the deep end. Great for adults to really get a chance to cool off.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

ryguy said:
I don't read the times, however, I don't think that will last very long. POFQ IMOP is the worst on property. I guess they are getting the sympathy vote from Katrina. Keep in mind after 9/11 they actually closed POFQ, it just isn't that popular compared to the other Disney hotels. I also think Dixie Landings changing there name to Port Orleans Riverside, helped the FQ a great deal. People are led to believe they are comparable resorts and they are not. For the record I have stayed at Wilderness Lodge and think its a nice hotel. However, I can't justify the $800.00 price difference between WL and PORS. The rooms are the same size, the food court is not as nice as PORS, and the transportation is the same. (boats and busses) The pools are similar. The only thing that is different is the theming of the hotels. All the other factors such as a restaurant or Electric water Show can be seen without paying the high price of staying at this particular hotel. Now if the choice was between the Polynesian and PORS I could make the argument for the higher price. Keep in mind this person has never stayed at a disney hotel, so they have no perspective on what the differences really are. Also, atmosphere and theming likes and dislikes you can not put a monetary value on. Some people like the western feel, others like the southern feel. However, tangible differences, rooms size etc... you can. Hope that clears things up. I am curious to hear your response and why you think its worth the extra $800 bucks.

The WL doesn't have a food court, it has 2 sit down restaurants and a snack bar so you really can't compare that. The rooms are the smallest for Deluxe, but having stayed at the Contemp, the Poly, the WL and Boardwalk I can say that they really aren't that bad; there is more than enough room for 2 adults, a teen and pre teen (having been in both regular and Deluxe [formerly Jr. Suites] rooms). What I really like about WDW is the fact that there is something for everyone, no matter what the taste or income may be. To each his own! :wave:

Upvote 0

ryguy

Well I definitely agree with your last statement, well put!! Either way they won't go wrong with their choice. I tell you what I would be really confused about which hotel to stay if it was my first time. They are all so unique and with so many choices. Now they have heard both sides, hopefully they can make a well informed decision.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom