Need Ideas for a gift for an 8yr old Boy?

SerenityinPA

Original Poster
For my next trip, Nov 2012, it will be my nephew's 8th Birthday. It will also be his 1st trip so I really wanted to do something special for him.
I've looked at the In-room-celebrations, and while these are REALLY cool, (I'd want one for my birthday :D), I think he would find this "too baby" for a big kid.
I thought about a Character Meal, but again nothing screams "COOL", so I thought maybe Chef Mickeys? Thats not too baby right? :lookaroun
Worse case, I guess I can order him a personalized Birthday ear hat, and he doesnt have to wear it, just keep it in his room as a keepsake, lol. Could I ship it to the hotel and when we arrive they can give it to him?
Anyone with ideas please help! I want it to scream "Birthday", "Disney", & "Big Kid".
Please HELP! :cry:

HouCuseChickie

We had DD5's 5th bday breakfast at Chef Mickey's last month. She was one of 7 or 8 different people in our little area of the restaurant celebrating a bday that morning. The bday ages ranged from 3 to teens to one girl who appeared 30ish. So, I don't think Chef Mickey's is too baby at all.

We did personalized mouse ears for DD5- which we saw on quite a few people of all ages. DD5 wore a girly bday outfit, but I'm sure you can find some custom Disney bday tshirts that aren't made for the preschool set.

We also had a fancy cake made for the meal (worked with private dining). The design options are endless - i.e. you could probably work with Chef Brian to come up with something that is fun - screams Birthday - but a little more mature in style. Our cake got us a TON of attention. Minnie came to our table during napkin waving just in time for DD5 to blow out the candles and a good chunk of the staff came by the table to see the cake and the bday girl...which made her feel super special...i.e. everyone in the restaurant knew it was her bday b/c of the cake. All of the other people with bdays got cupcakes with a candle, which is great and all- but the cake was a big WOW! It's not cheap, but the cake totally made the bday meal.

Chrononymous

First trips to WDW can be a sensory overwhelming overload to any kid,with so much to see and do already... but I also understand the desire to do something extra cool for a B-day.

My nephew was 10,when we celebrated his b-day there, and while he has been to the parks a bazillion times,(and is a tiny bit jaded about some things) he still loved a few things that were done just to make him feel special.

Definitely get him a birthday button when you arrive, and lots of cast members and strangers alike will wish him a happy birthday when they see it.

Something my nephew loved was a candy shopping spree...each park has a candy store, and many have candy that you can buy in bulk or by the pound. He loved getting his own pound or two bag, and then just going crazy filling it with whatever kinds he liked.

SerenityinPA

Original Poster
Wow! Thanks everyone for the cool ideas!!
Are you talking about the Pirates League? That should be open all the time, right?? Not sure...
Ooohh candy spree. I think his eyes would pop out if I did that for him! :eek:
Although I may have to let my daughter get some candy too, so there is no hard feelings. ;)
Which candy store is the best? What about Goofy's Candy Company? Isnt that in DTD?

HouCuseChickie

I like the idea about the cake. Who did you contact to make it happen?

Sorry for the late reply- busy week!!! :hammer:

The contact info varies based on where you want your cake. Your best bet is to use this how to guide... http://disneytravelbabble.com/how-to/order-cake/ There's a link on this page to a Cake Gallery as well, but if you have questions, your best bet is to track down the Cake Chatter that's also on there. I ended up finding Chef Brian's (cake chef at Contemporary) email on the Cake Chatter and emailed him my sketches...after some back and forth he emailed me my quote...and then I called the private dining number for the Contemporary (all the numbers are on that link I provided) to officially order the cake- making sure to give them as many details as possible from my interactions with Chef Brian. Just make sure all of your cake details- everything from flavors to decorations are well communicated to the chef. I know some people do it the other way around- i.e. put in the order and then work with the chef via email. I believe 2 weeks out is the avg time most people put in their cake orders (i.e. so they don't get lost in the system). If your cake is being delivered to a restaurant, the restaurant is typically notified within 24 hrs of your order being placed. The restaurant part is easy too and can do it as a surprise if you'd like. It was just soooo nice and effortless. They add on the cake cost to your dining bill for the meal. Now I want cake!!! :slurp::lol:

Sari8970

I don't think Chef Mickey is too old for any kid, especially since it's the classic characters. There's also a character meal at the Polynesian which has Lilo and Stitch. We haven't gone to that one because my kids are young and having seen that movie yet so that could possibly be a little older of a character dining experience.

thrupaytonseyes

My 8 year old LOVES Chef Mickeys! I love the idea of a custom cake at one of your meals.

My suggestion is to go on to Ebay and buy Disney pins. You can get them in lots of any number. Let your nephew pick out a lanyard he likes once your down there. Then he can pin trade throughout the trip and get pins that he wants. My kids love doing this.

I like the candy spree idea too!

coachwnh

we did the in room celebration for our 8 yr old this past february and he LOVED it! we also did 1900 park fare and had a cake with mary poppins on it. the staff had her come to the table when the cake was brought to the table. they gave our son and daughter (6 and also a feb bday) birthday place mats to keep. they wore the Its my birthday ear hats the entire trip. they loved when someone wished them happy birthday. i would recommend the in room celebration and a great character dinner!!!

CaptainShortty

Wow! Thanks everyone for the cool ideas!!
Are you talking about the Pirates League? That should be open all the time, right?? Not sure...
Ooohh candy spree. I think his eyes would pop out if I did that for him! :eek:
Although I may have to let my daughter get some candy too, so there is no hard feelings. ;)
Which candy store is the best? What about Goofy's Candy Company? Isnt that in DTD?

Goofy's Candy Company is in DTD and is big. My personal favorite is the candy section in Mouse Gear in Epcot. There is also the Main Street confectionary in MK. Studios has Villians in Vogue which sells sweets but it's pretty small. Any of the others are good though.

53Herbie

Don't know what your budget is, but there is a website dedicated to creating events for birthday's. It is giftofalifetime.com and it is pricey but sounds really cool. One example of their work is creating a scavenger hunt throughout the park ending with a special gift for the child. They are not affiliated with Disney, but do a lot of events in the parks. Check it out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom