Need help choosing an Epcot Dinner

njBadLands

Original Poster
I am going on a family trip to the Boardwalk Villas in February with my wife, will be at the time 8 month old son, 21 year old sister, and parents.

My wife and I have been to WDW 5 times in the last 5 years and have eaten at a lot of great places. Right now we know for sure we are having dinner at Cali Grille (did last year, was great), Tony's Town Square, Whispering Canyon Cafe (mainly for a simple dinner our first night in and to show my folks WL), and then a 4th dinner at Epcot.

I currently have Coral Reef booked, but have read various posts on here and have me second guessing it. We are there 4 years ago when we were 25 for lunch. Were with 3 other couples and mainly just there for atmosphere. I do remember waiting 45 minutes passed our reservations to be seated, but do not recall much about the food.

It is my parents first trip back to Disney in about 15 years so I want them to experience some great meals. Last year we at at Le Cellier and loved it,but want to try somewhere new (plus no ressies left). Can anyone suggest a place where the food is good, atmosphere great, and costs about the same as coral reef at Epcot? Or should I keep what we have?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My 2 recommendations would be a later dinner at either La Hacienda or Rose and Crown. Both offer great food and views of Illuminations (ADRS 7:00 PM or later are best) I like the food a La Hacienda just a little better than at Rose and Crown but Rose and Crown is the safer bet if you have some picky eaters.

Sweet Melissa

Coral Reef is one of my favorites, though you're right that it is not a fast meal. Even if you're seated on time, service there can be very slow. The room's acoustics also make it pretty noisy, especially at peak dinner times. I think it's worth putting up with those things for the cool atmosphere and the delicious seafood, however. Much of the current menu is different than it was the last time we ate there, but I can recommend the seared rainbow trout. My partner had it and loved it when we had dinner there last.

Cubs Brian

We have had dinner twice at Teppan Edo and both times were very pleasant experiences. Presentation and service were very good, food was good and IMO less expensive than Coral Reef. Both times we were also able to get in with a minimal wait(10 mins) with no reservations.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I don't eat seafood, so I have no opinion on the current offerings at Coral Reef.

However, I would go with either:

Via Napoli (fun atmosphere, great food, and a fantastic wine list)
La Hacienda (same as above, but with Mexican food and tequila instead of great wine)
Rose and Crown (food is average to me, but I love the drinks, view, and the atmosphere)

ArtieJim

Via Napoli - the new Italian restaurant - is great and the atmosphere is charming. I like it a lot more than Coral Reef.

I agree with this. Via Napoli is very good, my girlfriend and I went last October and are going back again in December. We were both very surprised with the quality of the pizza and the chicken parm. Better than most pizza I've had in NY/NJ.

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
I am going on a family trip to the Boardwalk Villas in February with my wife, will be at the time 8 month old son, 21 year old sister, and parents.

My wife and I have been to WDW 5 times in the last 5 years and have eaten at a lot of great places. Right now we know for sure we are having dinner at Cali Grille (did last year, was great), Tony's Town Square, Whispering Canyon Cafe (mainly for a simple dinner our first night in and to show my folks WL), and then a 4th dinner at Epcot.

I currently have Coral Reef booked, but have read various posts on here and have me second guessing it. We are there 4 years ago when we were 25 for lunch. Were with 3 other couples and mainly just there for atmosphere. I do remember waiting 45 minutes passed our reservations to be seated, but do not recall much about the food.

It is my parents first trip back to Disney in about 15 years so I want them to experience some great meals. Last year we at at Le Cellier and loved it,but want to try somewhere new (plus no ressies left). Can anyone suggest a place where the food is good, atmosphere great, and costs about the same as coral reef at Epcot? Or should I keep what we have?

I would change the reservation from Coral Reef to something else. Les Chefs de France, Rose and Crown (especially for dinner and to watch Illuminations), or Via Nappoli. Coral Reef has too many mixed reviews and I enjoy eating in the countries much better.

I like the Tuttia-whatever...the other Italian restaurant. Service seemed quick and the food was great. They aren't as warm and fuzzy but it seemed more relaxed, even though it was crowded...it was more elegant but still not too fussy. Via Napoli just seems too darn noisy for me. It's so echoey in there!

Penelope

Via Napoli as others have said and Rose & Crown. Good food and good service.

I would caution you on Les Chefs - I actually just posted a new thread about the bad experience we just had there last week. We ate at the other Italian restaurant Tutta ___ ? and the food was EXCELLENT! We really enjoyed every course.

EvilQueen-T

i always look at two things (1) what type of atmosphere/experience and (2) what's on the menu. if i'm going with newbies or people who haven't done much in terms of table service at wdw i lean more toward atmosphere, like coral reef, crt, 50s prime time, sci fi those type places that basically immerse you in the experience with (lets face it) usually pretty average food. if i'm going with the foodie types, pickie eaters, or a diverse group i lean more toward choosing based on the menu like citricos, flying fish, narcoossee's, teppan edo, pucks etc...i've gone with a family members aged 7-67 with multiples ages in between in a single trip so i understand your predicament. hang in there i'm sure you'll have a great time no matter what you settle on. our family rule whenever and where ever we go on vacation is the we eat "outside the box" i.e., nothing you can get at home so no chain places etc... so eating at places in epcot for instance like bistro de paris are fun for us.

goofysgurl

I would cancel Coral Reef. It was once a "must-do" on our trips but the last few times I've been there the atmosphere can't make up for the quality of the food. I happen to love La Hacienda, Rose & Crown and Teppan Edo. I haven't tried Via Napoli (as a NY'er I don't eat pizza outside the tri-state area...sorry) but I hear rave reviews about their food. Rose & Crown has the outside patio and it's great to watch Illuminations from there.

Our family #1 choice is Rose and Crown on the patio....#2 Via Napoliano. Don't order dessert wherever you go....then visit the bakery in France. That way you are doubling your experience! The movie there is excellent, also!

PolynesianPrincess

We're possibly putting Coral Reef on our list for spring dining but the mixed reviews are kind of putting us off.. That being said, we are trying Via Napoli next month for lunch (due to the rave reviews about their pizza. I LOVE pizza!!) The only other country I've eaten in is in Canada at Le Cellier.

We're possibly putting Coral Reef on our list for spring dining but the mixed reviews are kind of putting us off.. That being said, we are trying Via Napoli next month for lunch (due to the rave reviews about their pizza. I LOVE pizza!!) The only other country I've eaten in is in Canada at Le Cellier.

Then you have LOTS of places to try! :sohappy:

Dad 2 M & M

I agree with this. Via Napoli is very good, my girlfriend and I went last October and are going back again in December. We were both very surprised with the quality of the pizza and the chicken parm. Better than most pizza I've had in NY/NJ.
I agree with Via! I would also point out San Angel is the coolest atmosphere in Epcot. Food is only decent.

CaptainShortty

I'm a big fan of Le Chefs De France. I've eaten there on multiple locations and had delicious meals. Plus you can go next door to the bakery and get a super yummy dessert! I'd also give a vote for Rose and Crown. A great place and definitely better for picky eaters like someone already said.

mrsdanalind

Coral is decent, not spectacular, but decent. We like the Rose and Crown( English Pub), Le Cellier ( Canadian Steak Place), The Biergarten (German Beer Garden) The Garden Grill. We've done all of these and argue every time we go back which ones we are going to do again. Each of them has one or two dishes we absolutely adore. Bon Appitet

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom